UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Time has Changed our Dogs!
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Philip
UKC Forum Member

Seems like every thread has a change the rules quote?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-30-2018 11:22 PM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip
UKC Forum Member

Seems like every thread has a change the rules quote?

Old Post 03-30-2018 11:22 PM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Midnightghost
UKC Forum Member

I really enjoy your posts Bruce. True dog men are hard to fine then getting people to listen is something else. I have had the enjoyment of hunting the same line of dogs for 27 years. I think you don't know where your going untill you know where you have been. I don't know if I could hunt anything but a dog with buck creek in it. I sure just want a dog that has coon treeing on there mines fifty feet or two miles I don't care just there whole being is going to tree a coon. If a dog won't compete against another dog then he is lacking in desire to tree coons. Don't get me wrong I love for mine to split tree but I want it as being a leader. Dogs of today most of them has been beat shocked and kicked to be by themselves when the pressure is on sooner or later they will break. Ever notice they seem to last for a couple of years and done or they switch hands and done because new owner treats them like a dog and they go back to there natural way.

Old Post 03-31-2018 03:23 AM
Midnightghost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Midnightghost Click here to Send Midnightghost a Private Message Click Here to Email Midnightghost Find more posts by Midnightghost Add Midnightghost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elvis
UKC Forum Member

people found it easier to beat shock and breed dogs that wouldn't compete with another dog for the same coon than to breed a better track dog.
blow in the country and bush an easy coon will win hunts, make it very easy to call the dog, and eliminate the need to run anything but a hot track.
If you can get him to rattle his mouth as hes flying in the country you've realy got a winner.

When was the last time you saw a truly great track dog?
If you wanted to breed to one you sure wouldn't be able to tell it going to the hunts.

Old Post 04-01-2018 12:34 AM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by elvis
[B]people found it easier to beat shock and breed dogs that wouldn't compete with .

When was the last time you saw a truly great track dog?

We bought what I consider a way above average track dog purely by accident last fall. I saw one before her years ago, and didn't think they existed anymore. I dont even necessarily like that kind of dog- I prefer the busy one ambushing coons because they work better in my country, but I can appreciate one when I see it. This gyp ran down a sure enough running coon in flooded fields and caught it last night. I've seen her strike off dens and produce that coon off a feed track a half mile away. She's the most competitive dog I've ever seen, almost to the point it makes her a little crazy.
But to your point...
Shes gonna win a little, but not necessarily because of her outstanding trailing ability. I'd attribute it way more to her natural competitiveness than to how she can trail.

Old Post 04-01-2018 01:34 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, back in the sixty's and seventies, if it was possible we climbed the tree and jumped the coon out to our dogs and had race. People quit doing that because they thought it would make there dog not stay treed in competition hunts. Is this one reason dogs of today are not as good of track dogs as they once we're?. What is everyone's oplnlon on this? I have not seen this done in a long time.

Old Post 04-01-2018 03:07 AM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, back in the sixty's and seventies, if it was possible we climbed the tree and jumped the coon out to our dogs and had race. People quit doing that because they thought it would make there dog not stay treed in competition hunts. Is this one reason dogs of today are not as good of track dogs as they once we're?. What is everyone's oplnlon on this? I have not seen this done in a long time.

Old Post 04-01-2018 03:07 AM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Back in the early 70’s you could not carry a gun at night hunting down in the everglades. We had tree climbing spikes and an aluminun pole that was about 12 foot and extended out to about 18 foot. Had an excellent tree climber in our hunting group and the trees were climbed and the coon poked out. Then I read one day that would ruin the dogs. Guess we had ruined dogs cause we poked them out till they allowed us to carry a gun at night. I think getting a dog looking for a coon to jump out and maybe run off is not good but did it for years because that is what we had to do to get the coon out. Back then it was just fun catching coon.

Old Post 04-01-2018 04:23 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, I remember climbing and shaking the coon out. We could carry a firearm during season. It was crazy but during running season I would climb trees and kick coon out while hunting alone. I was decent at getting coon to climb down. The big differences in the hounds that I hunt are; there not as trashy, not as tough and more independant now. Were i hunt the coon population is much better now. A good hunt back in the 70s would be 3 trees with coon, now more than 7 trees with coon is what I consider a good hunt. When the crops get big coon treeing slows down. More coon assist in keeping young hounds on coon & not junk.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 04-01-2018 05:37 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I love a good track dog that opens on track and runs to catch and mine do catch and they suit me just fine.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 04-02-2018 04:12 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Midnightghost
UKC Forum Member

Elvis my way for thinking is if you want a head up track dog that runs a coon like most dogs run a deer. The first thing is there has to be a family of dogs like that to reproduce track dogs like that. Yeah you may find a good track dog but if it don't have the dogs behind it with the same qualities chance are it won't reproduce the same style of dog. Not to ruffle any body up but most people have never hunted with a truly dominate dog night in and night out. The bad part is once you do hard to go back. End up shooting and culling alot.

Old Post 04-02-2018 02:14 PM
Midnightghost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Midnightghost Click here to Send Midnightghost a Private Message Click Here to Email Midnightghost Find more posts by Midnightghost Add Midnightghost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness Elvis, that is blasphemy.

Old Post 04-02-2018 03:23 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Competition Dogs

I love a dog that is a true competition dog that has the will and ability to compete one on one and be first and first due to getting to the tree first by having the tracking speed on any kind of track.
Winners who win by only competing against the clock instead of competing against the other dogs are just sore loosers and are the result of a copout by the breeders who do not have the ability to select dogs with superior ability for their breeding stock. Instead have discovered that it is much easier to breed dogs that win with gimmicks that take advantage of the of the loop holes competition rules.
Dogs that refuse to compete should not be called competition dogs. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Ken Risley

Old Post 04-03-2018 03:23 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Time Has Changed Our Dogs?

I think time has changed our hunters far more than it has changed our dogs.

How many on here hunted when hides were worth something? We didn't feed coon. We shot them, skinned them, and sold the hides.

We never talked about how many yards a dog would go, or accuracy percentages. We just knew that if they didn't have the meat, they weren't doing the job. You couldn't sell hides if the dogs weren't producing them.

We didn't have night hunts during kill season. No one would come, and possibly miss a productive/profitable night of coonhunting.

The decline in hide prices brought about a decline in coonhunting, and a change in the demands and expectations from the dogs.

It used to be that the competition hunts were a sideline to actual coonhunting. It gave us something to do when hunting season wasn't in.

Old Post 04-03-2018 05:16 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rooster731
UKC Forum Member

I for one hope the price of hides never increases. We have limited hunting ground around here between logging deer hunters and family farms being divided up. We simoly dont have the ground to support that many coon hunters especially if they kill everything they tree. When i was a kid i tagged along with my dad, uncles ,great uncles and cousins. There was about 10 people in the family that hunted and between all of them some were hunting 7 nights a week. now its just me my uncle and cousin. We never ran out of new ground and never thought twice about killing coons. Now i have 2 good spots big enough to hold 4 dogs for 2 hours with a good coon population. If the hides ever become worth anything like they were ukc will have to give wins for cast winners regardless of score because there wont be any huntable coon left around here.

Old Post 04-03-2018 06:00 AM
rooster731 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rooster731 Click here to Send rooster731 a Private Message Find more posts by rooster731 Add rooster731 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote