UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > History question ?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

History question ?

Was there any sanctioned 4 hr hunts ever in ukc or acha in the past ? I hunted from when I was 10 yrs old and entered in my first hunt in 1979. I remember them talking about them but they were 3 hr when I started.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-21-2020 12:04 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

That's a long time ago, but I think I hunted in 4 hour hunts around 1967.

Old Post 02-21-2020 12:51 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

Re: History question ?

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Was there any sanctioned 4 hr hunts ever in ukc or acha in the past ? I hunted from when I was 10 yrs old and entered in my first hunt in 1979. I remember them talking about them but they were 3 hr when I started.

Tar

yep

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 02-21-2020 01:23 AM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CentralTn
UKC Forum Member

Went to first ukc hunt in 1962,just tagging along with some older guys and if i recall right they were 4 hour hunts.Got out of the army in 1970 and started hunting some and won my first trophy in 1973 still have it,what's left of it anyways.I believe all the hunts i hunted my dogs in were 3 hour hunts in 70s.But wouldn't bet on that been a long time ago.

Old Post 02-21-2020 01:45 AM
CentralTn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CentralTn Click here to Send CentralTn a Private Message Find more posts by CentralTn Add CentralTn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

More grade dogs(unregistered) or predecessor to the modern x bred, than registered.

Old Post 02-21-2020 01:59 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

I hunted my first hunt in 1969. At that time, all the hunts were 3 hours and stayed that way a long time.I may be wrong, but I believe that the first 2 hour hunts were pkc events. I remember reading old coon hunting magazines about 4 hour hunts in the very early days. Now we're down to an hour hunt; get struck for a 100 and tree one coon for 125 and you'll win most casts. Not a fan of these or the pkc version either. Jr.Steelman

Old Post 02-21-2020 02:57 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

When I started it was 3 hrs and 300 minus you was out. Not sure when it went to 400 minus. Maybe one of the brass can tell us the last year of 4 hr hunts. Can you imagine the dogs of today hunting 4 hrs with 300 minus lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-21-2020 03:06 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CentralTn
UKC Forum Member

One club i hunted at had two people signing dogs up,one registered and one grade.I never owned a registered dog until 1974,bought him off MR. Bobby Tillman from alabama.He was off his rambler dog i still got the papers.

Old Post 02-21-2020 03:06 AM
CentralTn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CentralTn Click here to Send CentralTn a Private Message Find more posts by CentralTn Add CentralTn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

The thing about those 3 hour hunts is that they started when you left and stopped when you got back. None of that crying to call time out all the time.

Old Post 02-21-2020 12:17 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, so you didn't actually "hunt" for 3 hrs? Didn't little Billy and Big Dan hunt for 4 hrs?

Old Post 02-21-2020 02:26 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Hard to imagine now days but most of the time we hunted 3 hrs in the same spot. Hunted down river for a while crossed and come back on the other side dogs packed and the best well rounded athelete won. Now they blow a mile and call time and go somewhere else.

Tar

Old Post 02-21-2020 02:34 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

In the olden days, did you actually start the 3 hrs when you left the club and end it when you got back?

Can you imagine how much walking you would do with today's dogs if you hunted 3 hrs?

Old Post 02-21-2020 03:58 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
In the olden days, did you actually start the 3 hrs when you left the club and end it when you got back?

Can you imagine how much walking you would do with today's dogs if you hunted 3 hrs?

Whom ever told you that is a big fibber we hunted the whole 3 hrs. You did that the guys I hunted against would have called you a sissy !!

Tar

Old Post 02-21-2020 05:02 PM
Jim Kirk NC
UKC Forum Member

One club i hunted at had two people signing dogs up,one registered and one grade.I ne

I still have papers off an old dog B Tillman owned as well. He was probably the best dog I have ever owned. He was Norman’s CoonStopper and Table Rock Flying Hawk bred.

National Hound And Tree Dog Association

Introductory Membership
http://nhtda.org/index.php/membership

Old Post 02-21-2020 10:22 PM
Jim Kirk NC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Kirk NC Click here to Send Jim Kirk NC a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Kirk NC Find more posts by Jim Kirk NC Add Jim Kirk NC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
When I started it was 3 hrs and 300 minus you was out. Not sure when it went to 400 minus. Maybe one of the brass can tell us the last year of 4 hr hunts. Can you imagine the dogs of today hunting 4 hrs with 300 minus lol.

Tar

I would like to know when the 1st UKC sanction 4 hour hunt, and the 1st that made UKC GrNtCh in a 4 hour hunt?

If the dogs of today still hunted under the back in the day format, 3 hour hunts, 300- and your scratched rules would be just as good if not better than back in the day dogs! So are you saying all the rule and hunt time changes that (According to you) you helped write just made the dogs weaker or the competition stronger.

Old Post 02-21-2020 10:52 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I think the high score Iv ever seen was Stylish Harry Jr with 2100+ in a 2 hour hunt, a top athelete In a 4 hour hunt should be able to score 2000 to 4000+ fairly easy!

Old Post 02-21-2020 11:02 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Tim

Man as intelligent as you shouldn’t be asking a big dummy like me questions. You got all the answers any way.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 02-22-2020 at 02:33 AM

Old Post 02-21-2020 11:35 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Tar is right on this one. You hunted three hours. Wasn’t any out and back time included. Tree coons and make no mistakes. Typical first place score was 700. 300-350 just got you a placement win. 400 minus was a lot easier than 300 some nights. Lol.

Old Post 02-22-2020 03:24 AM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D.Boyd
UKC Forum Member

Don’t hold me to this but was told by a good friend of mine that’s 89 years old and actually still hunting that the first competition hunts that they sent a judge with the 4 dogs and owners. The judge would watch the dogs hunt the allotted time and he would pick the dog that was the best in the cast that night. No points system.
Another thing that I think was James Merchant and maybe Pride Gann came up with the first points system. I will have to ask him again unless some of y’all know for sure. Tar didn’t you hunt a little female named Allie for Redgy Ramsey if so I owned her about 6 months when she was 6 or 7. If you are who I think you are maybe you will Remember me by a dog I owned and put most of his winnings on “ Thunder’s Wild Clyde “

Gr.NT.CH. PKC Platinum Ch. Thunder’s Wild Clyde Pkc Platinum Ch.Priceless Hank Gr.Nt. Pkc Platinum Ch.Clear Creek Chief. Gr.Nt.Pkc Platinum Ch. Cabin Creek Girly Gr Nt Pkc Platinum Ch.Big D’s Little Dee Gr Nt. Gold Ch. Nkc World Ch Tree Talking Hoss Gr Nt Pkc Gold Ch. Hardwood Money Gr Nt Ch.Boyd’s Forestwood Dan Gr Nt Pkc Silver Ch History Repeat’s Itself

Old Post 02-22-2020 09:59 AM
D.Boyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D.Boyd Click here to Send D.Boyd a Private Message Click Here to Email D.Boyd Find more posts by D.Boyd Add D.Boyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by D.Boyd
Don’t hold me to this but was told by a good friend of mine that’s 89 years old and actually still hunting that the first competition hunts that they sent a judge with the 4 dogs and owners. The judge would watch the dogs hunt the allotted time and he would pick the dog that was the best in the cast that night. No points system.
Another thing that I think was James Merchant and maybe Pride Gann came up with the first points system. I will have to ask him again unless some of y’all know for sure. Tar didn’t you hunt a little female named Allie for Redgy Ramsey if so I owned her about 6 months when she was 6 or 7. If you are who I think you are maybe you will Remember me by a dog I owned and put most of his winnings on “ Thunder’s Wild Clyde “

I hunted with Allie a lot but never handled her. I hunted with you but can’t remember what I was hunting lol. I think the night I drew you I had went to a hunt with Shane green he was handling Allie. Terry Cason also handled her.

Robert hitt

Old Post 02-22-2020 01:04 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, dogs back then hunted for 3 hrs and only scored 700 plus?

Old Post 02-22-2020 01:10 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, dogs back then hunted for 3 hrs and only scored 700 plus?

No feeder buckets and real coons are harder to tree than spider eyes. Plus we competition hunted in the same woods we hide hunted in.

All these years most I ever scored was 750+.

Tar

Old Post 02-22-2020 01:16 PM
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

Back in the day, we hunted 3 hours clock time. The same as today, time ran ONLY when the dogs were hunting. And we called time outs as needed. Everyone should remember this: in the early days of competition hunting there was MUCH more land to hunt so we didn't have to move around as much. The highest scores around here would usually be during corn season and then in the winter.A lot has changed about the hunts since I started, BUT a dog still has to tree coons to win.There has always been lots of good hunters and a few crooks and a lot of hunters that were in the middle and didn't know the dlfference. Most that complain about cheating always get cheated, ever notice that? Jr.Steelman. PS I plan to make a grand nite this year under the new format, if I can find a dog that is good enough and worth hauling; I'm only 62 and in good shape...

Last edited by delta slough on 02-22-2020 at 09:12 PM

Old Post 02-22-2020 09:02 PM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Hunt

I started in 1978 and hunting in some hunts in1979 they were 3 hours long and we ran the the whole 3 hours in the woods the highest score I remember was around 1982 at alluwe okla. Kansas rock 2 scored around 1100 on the verdegris river hunting around planters crossing that was a big score back then because hide hunters and trappers we're thick they got in a bunch of coon

Old Post 02-22-2020 09:38 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by delta slough
Back in the day, we hunted 3 hours clock time. The same as today, time ran ONLY when the dogs were hunting. And we called time outs as needed. Everyone should remember this: in the early days of competition hunting there was MUCH more land to hunt so we didn't have to move around as much. The highest scores around here would usually be during corn season and then in the winter.A lot has changed about the hunts since I started, BUT a dog still has to tree coons to win.There has always been lots of good hunters and a few crooks and a lot of hunters that were in the middle and didn't know the dlfference. Most that complain about cheating always get cheated, ever notice that? Jr.Steelman. PS I plan to make a grand nite this year under the new format, if I can find a dog that is good enough and worth hauling; I'm only 62 and in good shape...

I will be 62 in may. I gave my son 6 months to get his 5 cast wins for the tournament of champions. If he don’t get it ole pops is taking over lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-22-2020 09:42 PM