UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The direct uncle to neice cross
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

The direct uncle to neice cross

I've heard this has a history of at least being somewhat successful. Let's assume both are good dogs and out of reproduces. Any experiences you would share bad or good on such a cross?

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-04-2020 03:46 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

aunt nephew

I believe my best crosses were aunt nephew or uncle niece.

Old Post 11-04-2020 05:31 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

Ron, have a litter in the ground right now. Ask me again in a year or 2

Lone Pine North

Old Post 11-04-2020 06:26 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Consistency

I believe breeding consistency is one of the main reasons why we have a higher success rate with the pups percentage wise...

If the sire and dam are good enough to look good in any company day in and day out...and you don’t need to feed them a ton of tracks to make good hunting dogs out of them...

Well it is starting to look good for a great breeding to take place...

We evaluate aunts, uncles, grandparents and great grandparents...the majority hunt the same...

So the next thing is in deciding which two dogs to breed...

We know these dogs can hunt in any company and not look bad...that is a powerful resume...for me it is not about niece to uncle nor nephew to aunt...it’s about the individual dogs...but I would most definitely keep them related...we must maintain the consistency on both sides of the pedigree to maintain consistency when we have the pups...

Hunt the female during gestation...socialize the and test the pups for natural abilities or inclinations...we should want to breed this with natural inclinations...(we don’t want to breed those that require a ton of tracks to make a dog...)

When testing the pups one can select from those with natural abilities for two reasons...the probability of those pups making hunting dogs is better and when breeding those pups will beget more of the same...this is the recipe for taking it to the next level...

Good luck in finding a bloodline like this...😁😳

Old Post 11-05-2020 12:08 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B McDaniel
UKC Forum Member

One of the best line breeding cross's there is..........

Old Post 11-05-2020 04:52 PM
B McDaniel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B McDaniel Click here to Send B McDaniel a Private Message Click Here to Email B McDaniel Visit B McDaniel's homepage! Find more posts by B McDaniel Add B McDaniel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

What I've seen so far

I've seen it done a couple times. The dogs bred were top notch competition dogs and top reproducers. The offspring were not as good as their parents in competition, but were decent dogs. They were consistent reproducers of their likeness, in some cases produced better dogs than themselves.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-05-2020 05:15 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Consistency

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I believe breeding consistency is one of the main reasons why we have a higher success rate with the pups percentage wise...

If the sire and dam are good enough to look good in any company day in and day out...and you don’t need to feed them a ton of tracks to make good hunting dogs out of them...

Well it is starting to look good for a great breeding to take place...

We evaluate aunts, uncles, grandparents and great grandparents...the majority hunt the same...

So the next thing is in deciding which two dogs to breed...

We know these dogs can hunt in any company and not look bad...that is a powerful resume...for me it is not about niece to uncle nor nephew to aunt...it’s about the individual dogs...but I would most definitely keep them related...we must maintain the consistency on both sides of the pedigree to maintain consistency when we have the pups...

Hunt the female during gestation...socialize the and test the pups for natural abilities or inclinations...we should want to breed this with natural inclinations...(we don’t want to breed those that require a ton of tracks to make a dog...)

When testing the pups one can select from those with natural abilities for two reasons...the probability of those pups making hunting dogs is better and when breeding those pups will beget more of the same...this is the recipe for taking it to the next level...

Good luck in finding a bloodline like this...😁😳

I agree with this post. Matching superior performance is more important than matching a specific relationship. I crossed my Penney female to her Uncle, Grabers Dan, and produced 6 pups and 3 were above average average. Gerald Keegan's Larry dog is from this cross and reproducing good dogs.
The Uncle/Neice combination was used extensively with Buck Creek dogs with good results by Clifford Dyers.

Old Post 11-05-2020 08:30 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Consistency

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
I agree with this post. Matching superior performance is more important than matching a specific relationship. I crossed my Penney female to her Uncle, Grabers Dan, and produced 6 pups and 3 were above average average. Gerald Keegan's Larry dog is from this cross and reproducing good dogs.
The Uncle/Neice combination was used extensively with Buck Creek dogs with good results by Clifford Dyers.

I agree with KlerKry and Rueben, Ken, you always have better than average dogs, so your breeding must be working pretty good. I sure would like to have one as good as penny right now. Dang, them good ones are scarce as hens teeth. Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-06-2020 02:13 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote