UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > a little help?!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jaredaward
UKC Forum Member

a little help?!

Not sure if this is the right place to post questions as I'm new to the site. Anyways im new to coon hounds as well. I bought a 20 month old walker a week ago and ran him in the woods a few times. He will bark on track and it seems like he tracks it for awhile then quits and he will come back to me. Last night as soon as he started barking I got close enough I could see him to make sure he was actually barking on track. I also watched him check a few trees. He stopped at a couple den trees and showed lots of interest but never barked. He has yet to locate though. My question is what should I do next to get him to locate and tree by himself. The guy I bought him from said he would tree with other dogs but he never hunted him alone. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-11-2014 01:58 AM
jaredaward is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jaredaward Click here to Send jaredaward a Private Message Click Here to Email jaredaward Find more posts by jaredaward Add jaredaward to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sauk Talking
UKC Forum Member

Patients and Just keep taking him out,, won't be too long now and the kittens will be around,, he'll get experience and find some easy coon soon enough,

Old Post 04-11-2014 04:24 AM
Sauk Talking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sauk Talking Click here to Send Sauk Talking a Private Message Find more posts by Sauk Talking Add Sauk Talking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaredaward
UKC Forum Member

Ok thanks. I have been running him every night and I plan on doing that until he figures it out

Old Post 04-11-2014 11:22 AM
jaredaward is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jaredaward Click here to Send jaredaward a Private Message Click Here to Email jaredaward Find more posts by jaredaward Add jaredaward to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Many more nite's by his self

Old Post 04-11-2014 12:08 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaredaward
UKC Forum Member

Thanks!

Old Post 04-11-2014 12:29 PM
kydirtdog44
UKC Forum Member

I MYSELF LIKE A PUP TO TREE BEFORE RUN.... MY SUGGESTION TO U WOULD BE SINCE U HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT THE DOG.. HUNT IT A LITTLE WHILE LONGER IF IT DOESNT PAN OUT ,,, SHIP HIM DOWN THE ROAD.... THEN SAVE YOUR MONEY IF U DONT HAVE ALOT GO BUY U A GOOD BROKE OR ALREADY STARTED DOG..... BUT TRY IT FIRST NEVER TAKE ONES WORD,,, NEVER NEVER NEVER,,, A DOG AT 20 MTH OLD SHOULD BE DOING IT ALL... IF A PUP AT 8 MONTHS ISNT TREEING ON A REGULAR BASIS AT MY PLACE THEN ITS GONE.... BUT MOST IMPORTANT FIND WHAT SUITS U... REMEMBER U HAVE TO HUNT IT, FEED IT AND LOOK AT EVERYDAY... YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE IT HAS TO PLEASE

Old Post 04-11-2014 04:43 PM
kydirtdog44 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kydirtdog44 Click here to Send kydirtdog44 a Private Message Find more posts by kydirtdog44 Add kydirtdog44 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaredaward
UKC Forum Member

The dog has a lot of qualities that I like. I'm not a competition hunter, so I like everything I see out of him but obviously he is gonna have to start treeing or I'll never be satisfied. I don't have much money in him. I probably wouldn't part with him until next season is about to start. But I'd really like to see him succeed. Even if he was just starting to tree and not real accurate I'd keep him and watch him improve

Old Post 04-11-2014 05:08 PM
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by kydirtdog44
I MYSELF LIKE A PUP TO TREE BEFORE RUN.... MY SUGGESTION TO U WOULD BE SINCE U HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT THE DOG.. HUNT IT A LITTLE WHILE LONGER IF IT DOESNT PAN OUT ,,, SHIP HIM DOWN THE ROAD.... THEN SAVE YOUR MONEY IF U DONT HAVE ALOT GO BUY U A GOOD BROKE OR ALREADY STARTED DOG..... BUT TRY IT FIRST NEVER TAKE ONES WORD,,, NEVER NEVER NEVER,,, A DOG AT 20 MTH OLD SHOULD BE DOING IT ALL... IF A PUP AT 8 MONTHS ISNT TREEING ON A REGULAR BASIS AT MY PLACE THEN ITS GONE.... BUT MOST IMPORTANT FIND WHAT SUITS U... REMEMBER U HAVE TO HUNT IT, FEED IT AND LOOK AT EVERYDAY... YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE IT HAS TO PLEASE

The last 3 nice hounds I've trained, I'm glad I didn't give up on them @ 8 months

Old Post 04-11-2014 05:30 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaredaward
UKC Forum Member

In the past I've always hunted with a friend and his dog which is very good. So I'm not worried about it taking him foreve just seeking advice to see if there's anything I could be doing differently to help him or if just running him every night will help. I had a few traps set. I was gonna release a coon somewhere he doesn't know about once it's up in the tree I was gonna let the dog out.

Old Post 04-11-2014 06:28 PM
jaredaward
UKC Forum Member

btt

Old Post 04-12-2014 06:28 PM
jaredaward
UKC Forum Member

update

i was able to get bubba to tree after i drug a coon fur through the yard and hung it in the tree. that night when we went hunting he treed a den tree. since then he has treed 4 or 5 den trees. he has yet to come up with the meat, but every time he has treed its at least been a den. my question is this a normal thing for a dog thats just starting to tree? a dog that until now has always been hunted with others dog therefore didn't have to do the work?

Old Post 04-16-2014 11:07 PM
center12
UKC Forum Member

This time of year will get you a lot of den tree's.

Old Post 04-17-2014 12:32 AM
center12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for center12 Click here to Send center12 a Private Message Click Here to Email center12 Find more posts by center12 Add center12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaredaward
UKC Forum Member

Ok thanks

Old Post 04-17-2014 08:18 PM
red hot sassy
UKC Forum Member

Hey I'm a English guy but I had a female walker three years ago a guy gave me and I gave too my buddy that live with me and she was two she didn't no Wat a coin was I hate that dam dog but he loved her he took her every night with it took two years too get her treeing but now she is the best tree dog he took her to his first comp with her and won a rqe my pointis some take longer to get where they need to be

Old Post 04-17-2014 08:35 PM
red hot sassy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for red hot sassy Click here to Send red hot sassy a Private Message Click Here to Email red hot sassy Find more posts by red hot sassy Add red hot sassy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jaredaward
UKC Forum Member

Well that's a very good thing to hear. I've never comp hunted although I'd like to try once I have a dog good enough for it

Old Post 04-17-2014 10:27 PM