UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Wisconsin Retrieval of Hunting Dogs
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Diggerman
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Chad L
Some of the comments made about this proposal from others came from lack of clarification. I know the proposal referenced other states with similar laws but lacked definition. Some where concerned that allowing this to pass would constitute people driving across fields and so forth. I believe this proposal would have the merit to pass if it was presented as a law with clear definitions on "what is" and "what isn't" allowed to clarify the gray areas as to how it was presented at the hearing.
Apparently you and many others didn't read the whole question. It's at the top read it again and tell me why people would think some one would use this to drive across a field. This question was worded this way so as hunters, you know the people most likely to attend this meeting, would understand it from a hunting viewpoint. If it were to become a law it would be written as "property" and "owner".

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-17-2014 12:52 PM
Diggerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Diggerman Click here to Send Diggerman a Private Message Click Here to Email Diggerman Find more posts by Diggerman Add Diggerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jessejmc1979
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JJWI
What I can't believe is how all the deer hunters want more predator control to protect their deer numbers. They want more Bear tags, Wolf tags and coyotes shot. BUT they don't want anyone running a hound near their land.

This amazes me also. The deer hunters want everything that can possibly help them but don't care about ANY other hunters. I shouldn't put ALL deer hunters in the same boat but I am speaking of the trophy hunters that look down there noses at deer hunters like myself that just want to put some venison in the freezer. You should shoot the coyotes, wolves, and bears as long as you aren't anywhere close to there land! Complain about coon eating from there corn piles but won't let anybody come in and thin them out.

Old Post 04-17-2014 02:50 PM
jessejmc1979 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jessejmc1979 Click here to Send jessejmc1979 a Private Message Click Here to Email jessejmc1979 Find more posts by jessejmc1979 Add jessejmc1979 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cedarhillkennel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jessejmc1979
Deer hunting as is has become and where it is headed is going to be the end of all hunting by division. Instead of the hunters vs the anti's it's the "deer hunters" vs the "anything except deer hunters." It's truly sad what it's become.

I COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE. here in virginia they blame it on the hound hunters

cedar hill kennels bo's tank
cedar hill kennels roxy
cedar hill kennels ace's chloe
Never ask a man what kind of dog he has. If he has a hound he'll tell you, if he does not, you don't want to shame him by asking.

Old Post 04-17-2014 05:44 PM
cedarhillkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cedarhillkennel Click here to Send cedarhillkennel a Private Message Click Here to Email cedarhillkennel Find more posts by cedarhillkennel Add cedarhillkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cedarhillkennel
UKC Forum Member

could someone give a quick rundown on iowa's retrieve law

cedar hill kennels bo's tank
cedar hill kennels roxy
cedar hill kennels ace's chloe
Never ask a man what kind of dog he has. If he has a hound he'll tell you, if he does not, you don't want to shame him by asking.

Old Post 04-17-2014 05:46 PM
cedarhillkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cedarhillkennel Click here to Send cedarhillkennel a Private Message Click Here to Email cedarhillkennel Find more posts by cedarhillkennel Add cedarhillkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

You guys should include the rest of Michigan's law. It goes on to say that all it takes is one warning from the land owner or representative to revoke the right to retrieve.

Right to retrieve is meant to be a one time deal and not a means to repeatedly gain access to private property.

Also, has anyone from Wisconsin seen the brochure pertaining to the South Carolina hound hunting and deer movement study? A brochure would be a handy way of educating other hunters to the misconception that hounds run deer off.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 04-17-2014 05:47 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton

Also, has anyone from Wisconsin seen the brochure pertaining to the South Carolina hound hunting and deer movement study? A brochure would be a handy way of educating other hunters to the misconception that hounds run deer off.

Larry this study was only meant to do one thing and that was to stop hound hunting thru deer season. When the results from the study did not result in the outcome that the study was designed for it was pushed under the table so trophy hunters could keep on pushing there propaganda and myth.

319-201-8445

Old Post 04-17-2014 06:38 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Diggerman
Banned

quote:
You guys should include the rest of Michigan's law. It goes on to say that all it takes is one warning from the land owner or representative to revoke the right to retrieve.

Right to retrieve is meant to be a one time deal and not a means to repeatedly gain access to private property.

Larry ,it's been along time since I read Iowa's law but I am certain it said something like "unless previously told no to access".

Old Post 04-17-2014 10:44 PM
Diggerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Diggerman Click here to Send Diggerman a Private Message Click Here to Email Diggerman Find more posts by Diggerman Add Diggerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Beckham
UKC Forum Member

Re: Wisconsin Retrieval of Hunting Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
The Wisconsin Conservation Congress will be voting on the following question on April 14 at 7:00 P.M. in all 72 counties.
Question # 48 reads;
Hunting dogs can stray onto property wher their owners do not have permission to be. Currently the animal cannot be legally retrieved without the property owner's permission. Property owners cannot always be located to obtain the necessary permission to retrieve a hunting dog. A quick retrieval is always in the best interest of the dog, dog owner, and property owner. In the States of Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa a person on foot may, without permission, enter private land without a firearm, to retrieve a hunting dog. After retrieving the dog, the person must immediately leave the premises. This exception does not authorize the taking of wild game.
Do you support legislation that would allow the owner of a hunting dog the ability to retrieve their hunting dog without landowner's permission?
Please attend this important meeting next Monday and vote yes on this question. Meeting location are posted on; dnr.wi.gov, Conservation Congress, Meeting Schedule
Your strong support is needed to take this issue to the legislature.

I know they was working on one but as far as I know Illinois does not have a right to retrieve law

PKC CH, GRNITECH Beckham's Hillbilly Bones

Old Post 04-18-2014 01:31 PM
Billy Beckham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Beckham Click here to Send Billy Beckham a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy Beckham Find more posts by Billy Beckham Add Billy Beckham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1deadeye
UKC Forum Member

quote:

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/pub...ccoonimpact.pdf

Home of,
PR Nitech Leinie Red Ryder
PR Jan Da Red Ryder Butcher ( JJ )

Old Post 04-18-2014 02:32 PM
1deadeye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1deadeye Click here to Send 1deadeye a Private Message Find more posts by 1deadeye Add 1deadeye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Wisconsin Retrieval of Hunting Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Beckham
I know they was working on one but as far as I know Illinois does not have a right to retrieve law

If I remember correctly IL. passed a right to retrieve law. If it is a licensees field trial registered with the IL. Game and wildlife department. There has to be a certain amount of dogs entered in the field trial before it is valid. I don't remember the number of dogs that needs to be entered in the trial for it to take affect.

319-201-8445

Old Post 04-18-2014 03:55 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JJWI
UKC Forum Member

That brochure pretty much backs up what we all know. But the results are very interesting. Gonna keep a copy on hand when I have a know it all deer hunter tell me all the deer move out when hounds are hunted in their woods. Even with the evidence in black and white, they will find excuses to say the results wouldn't apply around here.

Old Post 04-18-2014 11:20 PM
JJWI is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JJWI Click here to Send JJWI a Private Message Find more posts by JJWI Add JJWI to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jclaws
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Diggerman
Larry ,it's been along time since I read Iowa's law but I am certain it said something like "unless previously told no to access".

In iowa you can retrieve your dog no matter what the land owner says. I couldn't. Imagine not being able to just go get your dog. If we shoot a deer and it dies on the neighbors I can go get it too, without permission. Good luck guys!

Old Post 04-19-2014 02:26 AM
jclaws is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jclaws Click here to Send jclaws a Private Message Click Here to Email jclaws Find more posts by jclaws Add jclaws to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Beckham
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Wisconsin Retrieval of Hunting Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by berger
If I remember correctly IL. passed a right to retrieve law. If it is a licensees field trial registered with the IL. Game and wildlife department. There has to be a certain amount of dogs entered in the field trial before it is valid. I don't remember the number of dogs that needs to be entered in the trial for it to take affect.

Never heard if it passed for sure. it was only during the big hunts, ($KC SS & world hunt) I coonhunt 5-6 nights a week, so what good does the right to retrieve do me while I'm hunting & training the rest of the year.

So there is no right to retrieve for the average hunter in illinois

Old Post 04-19-2014 12:40 PM
Billy Beckham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Beckham Click here to Send Billy Beckham a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy Beckham Find more posts by Billy Beckham Add Billy Beckham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Personal Property Retrieval

Did anyone attending the Hearings submit a new resolution for next year? It should have been done. I didn't think of it in time.
The orginal resolution always gets changed by whatever Committee handles it. The Committee that handles the resolution submits the final draft of the qestion to be voted on by the Public in April.

Thanks again for everyone that voted.

Old Post 04-22-2014 09:36 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jessejmc1979
UKC Forum Member

Re: Personal Property Retrieval

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
Did anyone attending the Hearings submit a new resolution for next year? It should have been done. I didn't think of it in time.
The orginal resolution always gets changed by whatever Committee handles it. The Committee that handles the resolution submits the final draft of the qestion to be voted on by the Public in April.

Thanks again for everyone that voted.

You don't submit a resolution a year in advance. You just have to have it in before the April meetings. At least county wide that's how it works. The same guy in Barron county has had a resolution the last 2 years for antler point restrictions and it passed the county only to die somewhere on a statewide cc vote. The way that I understand it is a resolution has to start at a county level and if passed then it goes on to committees and then if it "passes" there it goes on to a statewide vote the next year. If we can get a rock solid wording on a current law used in other states we could have everyone that is attending their county meetings next year submit one and it could go from there. Ultimately if we could get ONE guy per county it would be the best case scenario. Also keep the pressure on your state representatives because they can change the laws (and add) without Conservation Congress or even DNR approval. Take the crossbow bill that passed last fall. We need to keep fighting the good fight fellas!

Old Post 04-22-2014 10:29 PM
jessejmc1979 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jessejmc1979 Click here to Send jessejmc1979 a Private Message Click Here to Email jessejmc1979 Find more posts by jessejmc1979 Add jessejmc1979 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Beckham
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Wisconsin Retrieval of Hunting Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by berger

I spoke with a couple guys today that said this didn't pass.

Old Post 04-23-2014 12:45 AM
Dan D.
UKC Forum Member

i thought

it did pass but like berger said it applies only during a licensed night hunt and i believe there has to be at least 24 dogs in the hunt. the number could be wrong but that just rings a bell. in the smaller hunts anymore how many times do you get that many dogs. not many. i believe someone did there homework to come up with that number so the law would be useless to most of us.

Old Post 04-23-2014 02:14 PM
Dan D. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan D. Click here to Send Dan D. a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan D. Find more posts by Dan D. Add Dan D. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Beckham
UKC Forum Member

Re: i thought

quote:
Originally posted by Dan D.
it did pass but like berger said it applies only during a licensed night hunt and i believe there has to be at least 24 dogs in the hunt. the number could be wrong but that just rings a bell. in the smaller hunts anymore how many times do you get that many dogs. not many. i believe someone did there homework to come up with that number so the law would be useless to most of us.

sent you a pm

Old Post 04-23-2014 02:52 PM
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Minnesota's retrieval law: A person ON FOOT may, without permission, enter private land WITHOUT A FIREARM to retrieve a hunting dog. After retrieving the dog, the person must immediately leave the premises. This exception does NOT authorize the taking of the wild animal.

This seems clear. NO vehicles, leaving quickly after catching dog, no firearm. Works for us here in Minnesota. I really haven't heard of any complaints from anyone, hunter nor landowner since this law was passed. I would say there maybe have been a few that were not heard about.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 04-23-2014 07:13 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Wisconsin Hunting Dog Retrieval

Monday night April 13 is annual WI Conservation Congress meeting for Public input into anything concerning game laws, and conservation. Sporting Club meetings are coming up within the next month. If we want take another shot at making it legal to retrieve your dog when you can't find the property owner to get permission then now is the time to write a resolution and submit it on April 13 at 7:00 in your County meeting.
What are your suggestions?

Old Post 02-16-2015 07:28 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

A hunting dog while engaged in a legal hunt shall not be considered an animal running at large and owner shall not be subject to a fine.

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Last edited by Dan Dogs on 02-16-2015 at 08:02 PM

Old Post 02-16-2015 07:42 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote