UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Purina Dog Chow
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Purina Dog Chow

I’ve been thinking on trying this feed what is the good and bad on this product info would be appreciated ty

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-27-2020 12:52 AM
markncole is online now Click Here to See the Profile for markncole Click here to Send markncole a Private Message Click Here to Email markncole Find more posts by markncole Add markncole to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I’ve fed it to my adult dogs that don’t get worked hard and by any standard I can compare them to it seems to do a very good job for the price. I don’t think it would keep a 5-7 night a week hunting dog in shape but it’s a good feed for average activity level adult dog. IMO

Old Post 01-27-2020 01:00 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
I’ve fed it to my adult dogs that don’t get worked hard and by any standard I can compare them to it seems to do a very good job for the price. I don’t think it would keep a 5-7 night a week hunting dog in shape but it’s a good feed for average activity level adult dog. IMO
Agreed 100% plus you can get it almost every place,priced right ,dogs eat it good I'm feeding it to all my hounds and puppy chow to my cur pup.....

Old Post 01-27-2020 01:12 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arachyd
UKC Forum Member

I've fed the adult formula for years to pups and adults. We had no trouble with rickets, digestive upset or refusal to eat and coats were always shiny. The Chicken & Rice makes for easy cleanup (poop is small and holds together well) but the Chicken & Oatmeal does the opposite. I recently switched to another brand because in my area the stores keep running out of it and it costs a fortune.

Old Post 01-27-2020 07:39 AM
arachyd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arachyd Click here to Send arachyd a Private Message Find more posts by arachyd Add arachyd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I fed it many years ago. Collected weight circles and turned them in. I kept the one dog I was hunting hard on the higher protein feed with others on dog chow. They seemed to do well.
Before I go on. Dog feed is one of the most confusing subjects and you can have a group say one feed is the best while another group says it is junk. I do feel there is a possibility lot of our health issues with the dogs comes from things we do not know about the feed we are using.

With that said. I saw on Facebook, Laney Denny saying the Purina was sponsoring him and his World Champion female. That in itself just means he is getting something to promote the feed. But I have been thinking about it and along with that and all the good they do for hunting. I got a bag of the 30/20 high protein feed and trying it on one dog that I am hunting. He has always been a large dog but slim built. It will be interesting to see how he does on it. I got a 50# bag and the cost was double what I pay now for 50# of what I normally feed. But you and your dog only lives once. LOL

Old Post 01-27-2020 12:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Dog Chow

Thank u guys for the input, I'm just considering purina because of what they do for us hounds man, I would love to feed pro plan but its pricey, an old fella I hunted with for years fed dog chow for years with good results

Old Post 01-27-2020 02:00 PM
markncole is online now Click Here to See the Profile for markncole Click here to Send markncole a Private Message Click Here to Email markncole Find more posts by markncole Add markncole to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I feed the purina naturals chicken my dogs do good on it. Buuuuuuuuuuut if purina is listening bring back the purina high pro !! The best feed they ever had bar none !!

I fed the high pro in the winter dog chow in the summer.

Tar

Old Post 01-27-2020 02:18 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I think they do have it. It is just lost in all the different names they have for their food.

The Sport Pro I think is what your talking about. It is 30/20. They have the sport with is about 26% protein also but the Sport Pro is the the old High Pro. I think it comes in beef and salmon/fish favor. Here is what Purina says about it.

Description
Awaken the greatness within your pal with the nutrition of the Purina Pro Plan Sport All Life Stages Performance 30/20 Formula Dry Dog Food. The formula is finely-tuned to promote strength and endurance with 30% protein to build muscle from real chicken as the first ingredient, and 20% fat for energy. Enhanced with essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, plus glucosamine for healthy joints and mobility, it provides a complete and balanced diet for dogs of all ages and activity levels, including working dogs or canine athletes. The recipe is specially-formulated to optimize oxygen metabolism to support endurance during exercise, and has DHA and EPA omega-3 and 6 fatty acids for a dose of goodness in every bite. Plus, it’s proudly made in the USA with no added artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.

Key Benefits
Promotes strength and endurance with high-protein real chicken as the first ingredient to support lean muscle.
Formulated to optimize oxygen metabolism to support endurance during exercise with 30% protein and 20% fat.
Enhanced with amino acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, omega-3 and 6 fatty acids plus glucosamine for healthy joints and maximum mobility.
Great for dogs of all ages and activity levels, including working dogs, canine athletes, or dogs that just love to play hard.
Proudly made in the USA with no wheat, soy, or added artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.

I just would like it to be about $20 less per bag. I can handle $40 bucks for feed but $60 is a little hard to swallow for the owner even if the dog enjoys it.

Old Post 01-27-2020 02:55 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Tar, I think they do have it. It is just lost in all the different names they have for their food.

The Sport Pro I think is what your talking about. It is 30/20. They have the sport with is about 26% protein also but the Sport Pro is the the old High Pro. I think it comes in beef and salmon/fish favor. Here is what Purina says about it.

Description
Awaken the greatness within your pal with the nutrition of the Purina Pro Plan Sport All Life Stages Performance 30/20 Formula Dry Dog Food. The formula is finely-tuned to promote strength and endurance with 30% protein to build muscle from real chicken as the first ingredient, and 20% fat for energy. Enhanced with essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, plus glucosamine for healthy joints and mobility, it provides a complete and balanced diet for dogs of all ages and activity levels,
including working dogs or canine athletes. The recipe is specially-formulated to optimize oxygen metabolism to support endurance during exercise, and has DHA and EPA omega-3 and 6 fatty acids for a dose of goodness in every bite. Plus, it’s proudly made in the USA with no added artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.

Key Benefits
Promotes strength and endurance with high-protein real chicken as the first ingredient to support lean muscle.
Formulated to optimize oxygen metabolism to support endurance during exercise with 30% protein and 20% fat.
Enhanced with amino acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, omega-3 and 6 fatty acids plus glucosamine for healthy joints and maximum mobility.
Great for dogs of all ages and activity levels, including working dogs, canine athletes, or dogs that just love to play hard.
Proudly made in the USA with no wheat, soy, or added artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.

I just would like it to be about $20 less per bag. I can handle $40 bucks for feed but $60 is a little hard to swallow for the owner even if the dog enjoys it.

Bruce don’t quote me but I think it was 26% or 28% in the blue bag. It was to hot in the summer here but it was absolutely perfect in the winter. I just put about 6 cc of corn oil on their feed every day now.

Tar

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:09 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I think this is a younger Tar talking about hi pro

https://youtu.be/awdYHiAHmeQ

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:19 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I've been feeding Purina Dog Chow for years (21%) My dogs look good and have energy. It may not be enough for some dogs that are hunted extremely hard, but that would only be about 10% of the coon hunters. I have a 7 month old pup that's eaten only Dog Chow since she's 6 weeks old and she looks great. And I've never seen a thyroid dog.

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:26 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar, your are right and that would be the Purina Pro Plan
without the word in front of it.

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:30 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I've been feeding Purina Dog Chow for years (21%) My dogs look good and have energy. It may not be enough for some dogs that are hunted extremely hard, but that would only be about 10% of the coon hunters. I have a 7 month old pup that's eaten only Dog Chow since she's 6 weeks old and she looks great. And I've never seen a thyroid dog.

Ain’t seen a thyroid dog either. I tried victor for a while in the winter my dogs act like they were freezing to death on it not enough corn ......... dogs need corn !!

Tar

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:31 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce I think best I can remember it was about $30 for 50 lbs.

Tar

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:33 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I was giving 18$ per 50 # for it, I think this is the formula

Crude protein (Min) 27.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.2%
Crude fat (Min) 15.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0% Crude fiber (Max) 4.0%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/kg

Ingredients
Beef and bone meal, ground wheat, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), soybean meal, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (A, E, B-12, D-3), DL-Methionine, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, brewers dried yeast, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite. W-4293

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:47 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
I was giving 18$ per 50 # for it, I think this is the formula

Crude protein (Min) 27.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.2%
Crude fat (Min) 15.0%
Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0% Crude fiber (Max) 4.0%
Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
Moisture (Max) 12.0%
Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/kg

Ingredients
Beef and bone meal, ground wheat, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), soybean meal, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (A, E, B-12, D-3), DL-Methionine, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, brewers dried yeast, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite. W-4293

That’s the one Curtis !!

Tar

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:58 PM
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Dog Chiw

That was the good old days fellas I do have a question, they put coloring in the feed according to the ingredients does that harm ur dog

Old Post 01-27-2020 08:51 PM
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Dog Chiw

That was the good old days fellas I do have a question, they put coloring in the feed according to the ingredients does that harm ur dog

Old Post 01-27-2020 08:51 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar/Curtis

I fed High Pro for years, boy was I mad when they stopped making it. I feed Dog Chow and Pro Plan mixed these days, big difference in price 23.00 dog chow 62.00 pro plan. Lol. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-27-2020 at 09:12 PM

Old Post 01-27-2020 09:04 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
markncole
UKC Forum Member

Feed

I did see on the web site there is a new dog chow high protein 25/12 formula

Old Post 01-27-2020 09:24 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Feed

quote:
Originally posted by markncole
I did see on the web site there is a new dog chow high protein 25/12 formula

That's Purina dog chow naturals, been feeding it for a good while now, seems like a decent feed. I think 21$ for 35#

Old Post 01-27-2020 09:28 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Feed

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
That's Purina dog chow naturals, been feeding it for a good while now, seems like a decent feed. I think 21$ for 35#

Nope $21 for 55lbs at Walmart.

Tar

Old Post 01-27-2020 11:36 PM
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

I buy purina dog chow at sam's catch it on sale 19.95 plus tax for 57# bag i'll buy 12 bags at a time to save a little money.

Old Post 01-27-2020 11:54 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave

When I first started we fed the purina field and farm and you couldn’t hunt a dog down on it they were hard as a rock and they didn’t get hot in the summer on it.

Tar

Old Post 01-28-2020 12:04 AM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

A link to the stuff I'm talking about

https://www.purina.com/dog-chow/dry-dog-food/natural

Old Post 01-28-2020 12:09 AM