UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Purina Dog Chow
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Purina.....

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
Dogs are just that.....Dogs...!!!
They will eat Anything Rotten, Anything that stinks, they Love drinking out of an old Mud Puddle and dont care whats in it.

I dont care if Purina has Chicken Feet, Feathers, Beeks, Guts, etc.etc. in it........Most Dogs Love it and do Great on it.
Purina has been doing this for a Long Long time.....they really do Excel at it ....!!!
Tim

Well said! I hunted four to five hours last night. According to GPS my dog worked over 8 miles. Treed 5 different trees. He was still ready for more when I called it a night.... all that on cheap, plain Purina Dog Chow. Whatever byproduct or corn they put it there is fine with me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-08-2020 03:26 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

If the dog food is so important why don't the coonhunting assn. Split the costs and send some off to have analysis done on it

Old Post 03-08-2020 03:35 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog Chow

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
Corn, beef and bone meal, and corn gluten meal as the first three ingredients in the bag that states made with real chicken.

Corn, chicken by products, and corn gluten meal as the first three ingredients in the bag that states made with real beef.

Corn, chicken by products, and corn gluten meal as the first three ingredients in the Hi Pro bag that states made with lamb.

On a Facebook post from Purina I asked the question how this was right to put on the bag that the different feeds were made with real whole chicken, real beef, or lamb when they weren’t even one of the main ingredients and were listed way down on the entire list of ingredients. The response from Purina was that the law was that they could list anything on the bag as long as it was greater than 3%, yes three percent, of the total ingredients.

Now how is that for marketing. Lol.

I just thought their marketing by what they have on the bag is really misleading. So far I don’t have any complaints on the food itself as far as what it is doing for the dogs but I’m not hunting much right now either. I’ll be curious to see how the dogs do on it when it gets hot and I’m hunting and also if they weather gets really cold if it will keep the weight on them without having to feed a gallon of feed per dog. Right now they are getting about 2 1/2 cups a day and they are all in good shape but not fat.

Old Post 03-08-2020 08:43 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

John Smith

I agree with you in your concept that Purina is using a marketing ploy, heck ALL of the dog food makers are doing the same thing. I think Purina is using QUALITY ingredients in ALL their food and like several posters have stated, our digs do good on Purina Dog feed . I think some of us have got caught up in the Marketing side way more than than the practical side of dog feed. Look at what our kids are eating these days and what this is doing to them, we have a nation of obese children. My thoughts are that We need to feed a decent quality dog feed from a reputable company like Purina and if it works for us, we should not over think the ingredients. We should be more concerned about what our children are eating and the health problems they are having. Dave

Old Post 03-08-2020 09:06 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote