UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon hunting accident
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

Coon hunting accident

Read this story today... Doesn't give much info but I am sure more details will come out eventually. http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/2...police-say.html

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-04-2019 09:59 PM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tommygunner
Banned

Dang

Last edited by tommygunner on 10-05-2019 at 03:12 AM

Old Post 10-04-2019 11:27 PM
tommygunner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tommygunner Click here to Send tommygunner a Private Message Click Here to Email tommygunner Find more posts by tommygunner Add tommygunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckshot
UKC Forum Member

Another sad part is the comments.

quote:
Great news. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy who was out trying to kill these majestic animals. The raccoons are probably still laughing.

Old Post 10-05-2019 05:31 PM
Buckshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckshot Click here to Send Buckshot a Private Message Click Here to Email Buckshot Find more posts by Buckshot Add Buckshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I fixed a light that had a 22 hole in it. Gun went off and shot it off his head.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 10-06-2019 01:08 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

I hope this post makes everyone aware of what can happen, safety should be everyone's number one priority. NEVER CARRY A LOADED GUN IN AN UNSAFE MANNER. NEVER rely on a guns safety as a reason to be careless with any firearm. There is no such thing as being to careful with a firearm, always treat any gun as if it was loaded and ready to fire. PLEASE be careful every time you are handling a firearm, it only takes one mistake to cost someone their life. NEVER take someone's word that a gun is unloaded, double check yourself. I once picked up a pistol in a gun store, double checked as usual and found a live round in the chamber. Scared the store owner to no end as to how that could happen, especially if someone had not checked as I did and pulled the trigger unaware if the gun being loaded. I don't trust anyone else, I ALWAYS check the gun myself, even my own guns, before, and after hunting with them. A special note regarding automatic guns that are tube loaded, shells sometimes get lodged and do not always come out when emptying the tube. Check again after re installing the tube magazine by charging the handle several times to make sure no shells remain in the tube, as I have seen it happen. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 10-06-2019 at 02:50 AM

Old Post 10-06-2019 02:39 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
Another sad part is the comments.

Couldn't agree more. People are unreal

Old Post 10-06-2019 03:11 PM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

Dave Richards

Good post your 100% right safety safety safety. But man why in the world would a gun in a store be loaded? Thats scary! I wouldn't put it past some sick person to ask to see a gun at a store and pull a shell out of his pocket and hand it back loaded. These days you never know

Old Post 10-06-2019 03:16 PM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

The comments are really a reflection of a large portion of society being anti-human in all things these same people also defend Aztec and Amelykyte practices as well. I never carry my 22 loaded , only load when at the tree and I decide to harvest unload immediately after. now my 1911 is always loaded and in a chest rig Just in Case of 2 legged or 4 legged predators.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-06-2019 05:40 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dave1

The gun in the store was a used automatic pistol with a live round in the chamber. It was an eye opening experience for me and the stores owner. NEVER assume any gun is unloaded, make your own check every time you handle any gun. I have a 3 step system I follow with all my hunting guns. 1 check before I go hunting, 2 check again after hunting and 3 check again after I get home. I feel like with these 3 steps I won't accidently leave any of my hunting guns loaded. I still check them before cleaning just to be extra safe. Dave

Old Post 10-06-2019 09:01 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

Dang guy sold a loaded gun to gun store owner. Just shows even guys who fool with them everyday can forget safety. I bet I look now if I'm checking one out! Thank goodness no one was hurt

Old Post 10-07-2019 01:36 PM
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Saw this report

This is not that far from me. Maybe 1-1.5 hours north of me.

Some of the comments I read on this made me think back. As a kid, when coonhunting, I could actually stop at someones house (carrying my rifle), and call for help to find the dogs (no cell phones or trackers back then). Could never do that today (unless you knew the people very well).

Just a couple years ago, I came out of the woods to be met by a game warden. Someone called him on me, because they saw my light out in the woods. Figured I must be out there trying to poach the big buck they'd been spotting. Sadly, a lot of people today don't even know what coonhunting is. If you're out in the middle of woods at night, you must be up to no good. Fortunately, the game warden understood. He's the one that filled me in on the call details.

Old Post 10-08-2019 12:18 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote