UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Proposal 12 - Scratched for Fighting
Should dogs be seen in the act of fighting or attempting to fight before scratching?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, the judge should have to see dogs in the act. 69 57.02%
No, a competent judge knows what a fight sounds like without having to see it. 52 42.98%
Total: 121 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Proposal 12 - Scratched for Fighting

12. Scratched for Fighting.

• Change rule to make it mandatory that dogs must be seen fighting or attempting to fight in order to scratch.

2019 UKC RULE PROPOSAL CLARIFICATIONS AND NOTES
Be advised, the following notes are the opinions/statements of those who submitted the proposals and may or may not necessarily reflect the opinion of UKC.

PROPOSAL 12: This change would require Judges and cast members by vote to witness visually before scratching a dog(s). *UKC has put into play procedures to use if you suspect that a dog fight has broke out to catch the culprit(s). Unfortunately there are unscrupulous hunters and a few non-hunting judges in our mist who would be more than happy to scratch their competition. Rules that are up to interpretation allowing dogs to be scratched need the loop holes closed. One should be sure before a dog is scratched from a cast. If it is seen fighting or attempting to fight that caused an interference scratch em'.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-11-2019 01:34 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

When am judging a cast I will give a warning first , than if I know it’s the same dog causing the problem I will scratch that dog. This is a good rule but also a rule that if common sense is not used it can be blown out of proportion . My dog is not ill , but because he moves around on the tree some it causes problems. No I do not like it one bit. This rule will be a hard one because people have their dog light broke . I know one an when light comes on he turns into a gentleman. Have been scratched for it, even though judge seen how it all happened. Not gonna have a dog that can’t defend himself. By nature they are supposed to fight back.Just my 2 cents.

Old Post 06-11-2019 03:34 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Yes & No

If you have 4 dogs treeing on tree, you have to see which 2 dogs are involved. It usually is a 'bad break' for someone for that hunt, but as a handler of a 'clean' tree dog, you go home knowing it's not going to happen again any time soon.

If only 2 dogs on tree & fight breaks out, I would also give them 1 warning to see if I could figure out who aggressor was UNLESS they are both balled up when I walk in. If next tree has a fight with different dog, then you can figure out who aggressor in first incident probably was. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 06-11-2019 05:46 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

There is no such thing as a warning in UKC. Warning a dog is like firing a warning shot from a gun. It is a waste of ammo and time. Warnings are only asking an owner to continue to put his dog in harms way, or give the dog that is being bullied time to get enough of the crap and end it. Warning will scratch the wrong dog half the time. NO SIR! no warning is needed. The rules already have provided that info to the owner who knows his dog is bad before he tries to hunt it. We don't need that change, unless you will go along with one warning, then scratch from hunt, resulting in a lifetime ban for the hound that starts it. If aggressor can't be determined, scratch involved dogs for period of two years. There is no room for mean dogs in this sport. Its already hard enough to find hunters. Add a few with mean dogs and your club attendance goes way down.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 06-11-2019 06:12 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Loners

If everybody had loners this wouldn't matter! You cover me and we have a fight I'm going to be mad at you not my dog. Don't come in late and expect to get free credit.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 06-11-2019 06:16 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Robert

If you have 4 dogs on tree & have fight you hear, but with light broke dog, all are 'angels' when you walk in, which dog/dogs are you going to scratch??? Take care, Ron.

Old Post 06-12-2019 01:49 AM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Loners

quote:
Originally posted by TylerOSU
If everybody had loners this wouldn't matter! You cover me and we have a fight I'm going to be mad at you not my dog. Don't come in late and expect to get free credit.
now this is a poor attitude. That is part of the whole problem. You sir don't care about any one other than your self. Maybe some day you'll grow up and realize how ridiculous your attitude and how much better a dog can be. Until then try an learn some respect for others. Keel Johnson

Old Post 06-12-2019 01:52 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Explain “ if agressor can’t be determined involved dogs will be scratched for two years”. I know what it says , but how can anyone control what a dog had no intentions on getting involved with anyway. I respect you Robert, an think you are a good MOH . If I walk up to you an knock you to the ground will you lay there? Of course not , a dog is not gonna lay there either. Can’t just go scratching dogs . Tyler came across as a smart ass , but he has a point. We wonder why are dogs are so screwed up.

Old Post 06-12-2019 03:12 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

I think no one really got the jist of what I was saying. I am saying don't change anything. A warning is nothing more than a fight promotion. If they have shown enough aggression to get a warning, scratch them. That's what we are supposed to be doing now, but it isn't happening. The rest of that crap I wrote was just to get some folks to think about the kind of dog they are bringing to hunts. Most that have a mean dog, knows it. Most that have a tree jacker that will start a fight at tree know it. The penalties for this kind of thing need to be swift and decisive. I know, some will say the dog running up the tree and falling on the other dog was not agression. Maybe not, but what caused the fight? The real root cause? At some point we have to get away from the excuses and begin the task of getting hounds to hunt in packs again. Loners are hurting the sport. Not enough ground to hunt on. Fighting dogs are the worst thing that can happen. Not only are they scratched, but there could be some hefty vet bills too.

Maybe the real answer to the problem area is go ahead and warn them once and scratch on second offense in the hunt. Once they are scratched for fighting from a hunt, the owner and the handler both know that this dog is mean, or has great probability of being so. Add a line in the rule that says after the second scratch the owner and handler will be barred from hunts for two years and then this problem starts to go away. Oh I know they will say the numbers are already fading away, but get rid of one mean dog and two more start hunting. There is no real answer to solve the problem totally. We are dealing with dogs and they have their own minds, but they are trainable, and we should be training for the correct behavior and eliminating the type we don't want. Seems simple enough, but is almost impossible if all the registries are not on the same page with this type of rule, and most important the hunters themselves have to honest and honorable in forcing the rules as written. Yes....impossible for sure.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 06-12-2019 12:43 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

I agree. Like I said, the dog am hunting now moves around on tree to much. Trees me a lot of coon. But just for that I will not breed him, I really consider it a fault. Would really go along with that being a fault that if a hound has it will be minused or scratched. What really needs to happen is the owner of a mean dog needs to be held more accountable. Ban the owner for two years. People know what their bringing to theses hunts.

Old Post 06-12-2019 01:11 PM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
I agree. Like I said, the dog am hunting now moves around on tree to much. Trees me a lot of coon. But just for that I will not breed him, I really consider it a fault. Would really go along with that being a fault that if a hound has it will be minused or scratched. What really needs to happen is the owner of a mean dog needs to be held more accountable. Ban the owner for two years. People know what their bringing to theses hunts.

That last 2 sentences makes the most sense of anything I have read on this post

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 06-12-2019 at 02:12 PM

Old Post 06-12-2019 01:58 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

This proposal adds one word "seen" to the rules. All it does is prevents dog(s) from being scratched from afar or without visual of the fight or witness of aggression that caused interference. It does not change any procedure that UKC has in place such as heading to a tree to investigate the happenings. It makes a rule black and white instead of gray.
PROPOSAL 12: This change would require Judges and cast members by vote to witness visually before scratching a dog(s). *UKC has put into play procedures to use if you suspect that a dog fight has broke out to catch the culprit(s). Unfortunately there are unscrupulous hunters and a few non-hunting judges in our mist who would be more than happy to scratch their competition. Rules that are up to interpretation allowing dogs to be scratched need the loop holes closed. One should be sure before a dog is scratched from a cast. If it is seen fighting or attempting to fight that caused an interference scratch em'.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-12-2019 02:04 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Loners

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
now this is a poor attitude. That is part of the whole problem. You sir don't care about any one other than your self. Maybe some day you'll grow up and realize how ridiculous your attitude and how much better a dog can be. Until then try an learn some respect for others. Keel Johnson

LOL! Maybe you're the problem hunting backpackers? I've never had one or seen one scratched for a dog fight tbh. hunted in thousands of casts. I know it happens but normally there is more to the story than 1 mean dog.