UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Timber Chopper Bloodlines
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bigdiezel79
UKC Forum Member

Timber Chopper Bloodlines

Looking for honest opinions good or bad on timber chopper bred hounds. Hunting style, intelligence, ability, the good and the bad. All opinions are welcome, along with ideas on how to improve the line.

Jeremy Harris

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-01-2019 08:01 PM
bigdiezel79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdiezel79 Click here to Send bigdiezel79 a Private Message Click Here to Email bigdiezel79 Find more posts by bigdiezel79 Add bigdiezel79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cody C
UKC Forum Member

I could have a different response to this every night of the week, but since I'm not hunting my hard headed timber chopper dog tonight I'll have mostly good things to say.

We certainly have a love/hate relationship. Sue is an affectionate dog mostly well mannered, even in the kennel, and pretty smart.

Sue is a hard hunting, hard tree dog but she's got to be hunted regularly to get tuned in, as do most dogs.

She doesn't do well in the heat unless she's got competition, but will look like a completely different dog when the temp drops below 60.

Generally a short ranged dog when hunted alone (400 to 600 yards). Often times takes a few minutes to get gone when hunted alone, but will get gone quick if she has another dog that will go with her.

She's fast for a redbone, not always the first strike but moves the track pretty quick and fast on the tree.

She was around 14 months before she treed her first coon solo, so not the quickest starter but not too old either.

She's made nite champ and on her way to grand, and I'm fairly new to the comp world. With an experienced handler she would already be grand. I like her enough that I just had her bred to the 2019 Purina breed winner and top 100 in UKC this year, GrNt Shannon's PDR Red Roc.

I'm good friends with the owner of her father so I can tell you what he's like too. Timber Chopper Rosco was a tough dog to complete with in his younger days when he was hunted 5 or 6 nights a week. He would get as deep as needed to get a track and get treed. Not competition hunted enough back then and is now 8 years old, but 1 win from NtCh. Rosco was a late starter, but Jon kept him in the woods and wouldn't give up. Rosco needs to be hunted a lot before he gets right, and that's always been the case.

IMO, the biggest problem with Timber Chopper blood in past 10 to 15 years, maybe longer, is that pups were mass produced and mostly sold to non-hunters. A few were hunted, some made good bear dogs, while the majority were sold as house pets.

When I show up to a hunt with a redbone, people are a bit surprised, especially when I win. The redbone folks don't expect much either when they find out how she's bred... Maybe I just got a good one, but I believe if given a chance they can make some very nice dogs.

Old Post 10-02-2019 02:19 AM
Cody C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cody C Click here to Send Cody C a Private Message Click Here to Email Cody C Find more posts by Cody C Add Cody C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kelleytf
New UKC Forum Member

Heck of a reply Cody. Guys this man tells nothing but the truth, he has the most drive and commitment to all of his dogs and hunts them hard. I have personally seen coons above both of these hounds. Hope your cross you have made with Sue and Roc will turn out great for you.

Old Post 10-02-2019 12:47 PM
Kelleytf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kelleytf Click here to Send Kelleytf a Private Message Find more posts by Kelleytf Add Kelleytf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigdiezel79
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. That is one of the things that concerned me being they were bred and sold so much primarily as house pets. I took a long break from hunting again so im a bit out of the loop on current dog trends. But I really wanted to push a redbone hard in the hunts and have a honest to goodness breeding plan to better the breed. Or atleast make a cross that can improve the breed to some extent.

Jeremy Harris

Old Post 10-02-2019 12:52 PM
bigdiezel79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigdiezel79 Click here to Send bigdiezel79 a Private Message Click Here to Email bigdiezel79 Find more posts by bigdiezel79 Add bigdiezel79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote