UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Treeing directly under coon
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

Treeing directly under coon

Something that happened hunting and I have a question. So there is a huge leaning oak tree in big open woods. The oak tree has a coon that is all the way out on end of tree. One dog is on the oak tree and one dog is standing directly under coon on a small sapling treeing up. The sapling only touches with one small vine not even big enough for a coon to climb up . Even if there was no vine do you minus the dog on the sapling even though it’s directly under coon? This dog is technically Closer to coon than the other dog on the oak. Is this just a bad break or is it a judgement call?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-01-2021 11:45 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

If I was judging .I would plus it.
A lot of these hard nosed guys want to minus a dog that does not have its feet on tree. NIT PICKING
Don't think sapling has any thing to do with it. That dog is winding that coon and any one with sense should know it.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Last edited by benderb4 on 03-02-2021 at 12:20 AM

Old Post 03-02-2021 12:17 AM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by benderb4
If I was judging .I would plus it.
A lot of these hard nosed guys want to minus a dog that does not have its feet on tree. NIT PICKING
Don't think sapling has any thing to do with it. That dog is winding that coon and any one with sense should know it.

X2

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 03-02-2021 01:10 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

There are no rules about tree style. If it is clear he is treeing the coon right over his head then he is plussed.

He doesn't have to be on the tree he has to be treeing the coon otherwise you couldn't plus coons treed in barns and other structures that are not a tree.

But you have to be there and you have to be able to tell that yes the dog really is treeing the coon.

Old Post 03-02-2021 01:42 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Plus

Old Post 03-02-2021 07:32 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

I have a Redbone female and if she not on the tree but sitting back treeing then you will find the coon directly above her. I'd come unglued if some jackleg whose dog couldn't out tree mine tried to minus her... cause she's smart and has a good nose and can get under 👀. I think its because she knows how to use her nose. Coffman bred if anyone cares

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 03-02-2021 10:42 AM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottmtfarm
UKC Forum Member

I agree this this should be +. IT is obvious the dog is treeing the coon. One of the best dogs I ever had would be sitting under the coon when you got to the tree. Rarely was she actually on the tree. I always told the judge her style before we cast the dogs for the first time. Never was it questioned or minused for not standing on the tree. It also kind of nice to have one that sits back when there are a couple of other other high pressure dogs on the tree pushing for position and things get intense.

Old Post 03-02-2021 01:09 PM
scottmtfarm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scottmtfarm Click here to Send scottmtfarm a Private Message Click Here to Email scottmtfarm Find more posts by scottmtfarm Add scottmtfarm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottmtfarm
UKC Forum Member

I agree this this should be +. IT is obvious the dog is treeing the coon. One of the best dogs I ever had would be sitting under the coon when you got to the tree. Rarely was she actually on the tree. I always told the judge her style before we cast the dogs for the first time. Never was it questioned or minused for not standing on the tree. It also kind of nice to have one that sits back when there are a couple of other other high pressure dogs on the tree pushing for position and things get intense.

Old Post 03-02-2021 01:09 PM
scottmtfarm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scottmtfarm Click here to Send scottmtfarm a Private Message Click Here to Email scottmtfarm Find more posts by scottmtfarm Add scottmtfarm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have had this same thing happen to me. I was leading the cast with plenty of plus points and my dog was setting directly under a coon treeing on a 20 foot tall tree about 6or8 inches around. The coon couldn't have jumped up above it but was not much higher. I told the cast to vote whatever they felt and that gave me enough minus to send me out backwards. I can live with the results. I figure it was a bad break even though I truly believe she was looking right at that coon treeing.
I think I was even the judge but I don't want to win a hunt if the cast didn't feel it was right. My gyp finished to gr nt ch a few hunts later anyway I reckon.

Old Post 03-02-2021 02:11 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

That situation will always just about work out to the benefit of the rest of the cast.. LOL - my expectation anyways..

The dog was either treeing under the coon or pushed off the tree and treeing close.. I would vote to plus it regardless of who it benefitted.

Old Post 03-04-2021 12:56 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redneckcoondog
UKC Forum Member

under umbrarella of tree plus em up

Old Post 03-04-2021 03:52 PM
redneckcoondog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneckcoondog Click here to Send redneckcoondog a Private Message Click Here to Email redneckcoondog Find more posts by redneckcoondog Add redneckcoondog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

It is a judgement call. If the dog was under the coon without barking treed on the sapling there isn’t much to judge so most casts by the rules are going to plus the dog. Being as the dog was barking treed on the sapling a lot of casts wouldn’t plus it and would score the sapling as the split tree.

Old Post 03-05-2021 03:39 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

If that vine couldn't get the coon from the sapling to where it was seen in the oak its likely gonna be scored slick on a lot of casts. Just treeing under the coon looking up works for me but wrapped around that sapling with nothing in it complicates things lol.

That tree umbrella rule gets thrown around a lot for something that doesn't exist.

Old Post 03-05-2021 05:09 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
If that vine couldn't get the coon from the sapling to where it was seen in the oak its likely gonna be scored slick on a lot of casts. Just treeing under the coon looking up works for me but wrapped around that sapling with nothing in it complicates things lol.

That tree umbrella rule gets thrown around a lot for something that doesn't exist.

when i say the small tree was directly under the coon. i mean if this coon fell out the big tree it was going to land on the dogs head. I voted to plus it. I might have been wrong.

Old Post 03-05-2021 04:29 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gpent24
when i say the small tree was directly under the coon. i mean if this coon fell out the big tree it was going to land on the dogs head. I voted to plus it. I might have been wrong.

No you were correct. Like others have said before it's a judgement call that you have to see.

If you can see the dog is treeing the coon then plus the dog.

If it appears the dog is treeing the tree and not the coon then minus.

You can't tell that on the computer you have to be there and watch the dog LOL.

Anybody that has hunted very long can tell what the dog is doing whether it is treeing the tree or stump or whatever or if it is using that as a prop to tree the coon.

Old Post 03-05-2021 08:52 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rip
No you were correct. Like others have said before it's a judgement call that you have to see.

Anybody that has hunted very long can tell what the dog is doing whether it is treeing the tree or stump or whatever or if it is using that as a prop to tree the coon.
[/QUOTE

X2, best explanation to be had. Dave

Old Post 03-06-2021 03:16 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rip

[/QUOTE

X2, best explanation to be had. Dave

Dave I had a dog once strike and tree in one breath. She struck and treed first. She was at the top of a small bluff treeing a coon not 10 feet from her face looking right at it. She wasn't on any tree at all. The tree was at the bottom of the bluff and she was standing there treeing every breath at the coon. You could clearly see she was treeing the coon right in front of her. I would have plussed her.

Many would have minused her because she "wasn't on a tree". Well just because she wasn't and couldn't touch that tree it didn't mean she didn't tree that coon.

Eventually the other dogs found their way to where the coon went up at the bottom of the bluff, she never moved she knew she had it. They treed in the bottom on the tree. Keep in mind the coon was already found before the first dog got to the bottom of the tree.

Had people say they would plus those dogs that treed on the tree and not the dog on the bluff looking at the coon treeing "air".

Really those dogs are shut out and she treed the coon. I never could make some of them understand that she should have been plussed.

Had to agree to disagree and move on. That happened on a pleasure hunt in Indiana but that dog was very good at treeing layups

Old Post 03-06-2021 03:17 PM
benderb4
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Dave I had a dog once strike and tree in one breath. She struck and treed first. She was at the top of a small bluff treeing a coon not 10 feet from her face looking right at it. She wasn't on any tree at all. The tree was at the bottom of the bluff and she was standing there treeing every breath at the coon. You could clearly see she was treeing the coon right in front of her. I would have plussed her.

Many would have minused her because she "wasn't on a tree". Well just because she wasn't and couldn't touch that tree it didn't mean she didn't tree that coon.

Eventually the other dogs found their way to where the coon went up at the bottom of the bluff, she never moved she knew she had it. They treed in the bottom on the tree. Keep in mind the coon was already found before the first dog got to the bottom of the tree.

Had people say they would plus those dogs that treed on the tree and not the dog on the bluff looking at the coon treeing "air".

Really those dogs are shut out and she treed the coon. I never could make some of them understand that she should have been plussed.

Had to agree to disagree and move on. That happened on a pleasure hunt in Indiana but that dog was very good at treeing layups

The difference is honest cast members giving a dog credit for what it did or trying to beat you dishonestly because that is the only way they can beat you.
In that situation I would had plus your dog too

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 03-06-2021 04:55 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote