UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pride dog feed
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RunInMi
New UKC Forum Member

Pride dog feed

My son and I have been feeding our 4 dogs Pride dog feed. 27/20
We have been running them chasing bobcat. Our black and tans just didnt look good. His dog was very lethargic acting and mine kept coming us lame on one front leg. We suspected Lymes disease. Had them tested this week and both came back negative. Switching their feed to Diamond hi-energy. They already seem to be doing better. Vet saw what we were feeding when she was at the house and told us that is not good feed. Anyone have thoughts on this? I know a bunch of our hound friends feed Pride and think its good. My son's friend had lameness in a hound that went away after switching from Pride to another feed. Could the feed be the cause?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-26-2020 05:17 PM
RunInMi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RunInMi Click here to Send RunInMi a Private Message Click Here to Email RunInMi Find more posts by RunInMi Add RunInMi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I know I'm taking the advice of several on here and just sticking with Purina products. The size of their company seems to increase the quality control and consistency through the years.

Old Post 02-26-2020 05:37 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Pride is carried by a place here I like to buy from. Was using the 31/22 but one dog stopped eating as much as I thought it should. Bought a bag of 27/20 and mixed the 2 and it's been all good. Dog can't have more energy

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 02-26-2020 06:16 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Plott
UKC Forum Member

I fed Pride for almost a year. I switched because all three dogs got to where they had looser stools. I guess I got fed up with the clean up. I also had a male that when hunted would carry his back right leg at times. Felt for anything out of place, never could get a whimper out of him.

I’ve switched to pro plan sport. Probably twice the price, but a lot easier cleanup and no more gimpy dog

Old Post 02-26-2020 11:58 PM
Black Plott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Plott Click here to Send Black Plott a Private Message Click Here to Email Black Plott Find more posts by Black Plott Add Black Plott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

I was feeding pride and the dogs were doing good as long as I wasn’t hunting them very hard. One lost weight quick. I had him at the vet and checked for everything. He said he was clear of all tick diseases and no worms. He recommended I feed pro plan. So I’ve switched him to it and he looks like an athlete now. I still feed a little female pride but she doesn’t get the hunting the male gets.

Both the turds are firm and make an easy clean up. I think pride is ok if you’re not hunting them hard

Old Post 02-27-2020 12:49 AM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I fed The Pride for probably 20 plus years and even when I was hunting a dog super hard I never had an issue with their dog food but I have some opinions from experience. The Pride has many different blends to chose from and some are better and some not as good. The two best blends I have the most experience with is the 21 17 in the lime green bag and the 26 18 in the dark green bag. I have seen much better results with the 16 18 that the 27 20 in the orange bag. I’ve never kept a dog on the 31 22 other than pregnant females, pups, and as a boost in the winter. The 31 22 is the highest in Kcals and I would say it would do great if hunting a dog hard but I’d probably still stay with the dark green bag as it was “the best” Pride food until they came out with the Pro Series. The black bag of 24 20 is not a great feed if hunting some dogs really hard and the other blends are similar or worse from what I have seen.

Saying all that, I am feeding Dog Chow now and just bought so Dog Chow Hi Pro to mix in with it and it is doing fine. I’m not hunting much now and with the Pro Club and store discounts it’s cheaper than feeding Pride right now for me. I’ve put dog food in front of 100’s of dogs over the years for what that is worth, and sometimes you just have to feed the best that you can afford and all dogs are different

Old Post 02-27-2020 03:12 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Bartley
UKC Forum Member

Been feeding it nearly 20 years. No problems. I use the neon green pro series 21/17. It's all you need. Your hounds don't need that high of fat nor protein.

Blueticks bred to run to catch and catch what they run!

"Believe in your greatness, honor your greatness, for the sake of ourselves and our children," Howard Glasser

“We are the free and unconquerable people of the United
States of America” - Eleanor Roosevelt, 12/7/1941

Old Post 02-27-2020 03:28 AM
Jim Bartley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Bartley Click here to Send Jim Bartley a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Bartley Find more posts by Jim Bartley Add Jim Bartley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clanc
UKC Forum Member

I've fed Pride for the last 5 years. I feed the black bag 24/20 with no problems. I know several guys that feed different varieties of Pride with no issues.

Old Post 02-27-2020 04:18 PM
Clanc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clanc Click here to Send Clanc a Private Message Click Here to Email Clanc Find more posts by Clanc Add Clanc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clanc
UKC Forum Member

I've fed Pride for the last 5 years. I feed the black bag 24/20 with no problems. I know several guys that feed different varieties of Pride with no issues.

Old Post 02-27-2020 04:19 PM
Clanc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clanc Click here to Send Clanc a Private Message Click Here to Email Clanc Find more posts by Clanc Add Clanc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jford228
UKC Forum Member

Funny you say this . I’ve fed pride for over 3 years. Within the last few months my dogs fell off looking sickly dull hair and I was hoping the aspca didn’t show up and see them , a buddy fed pride in his kennel for over 5 years. I asked him without any debate . Have you guys noticed a difference in your dogs looking like ****. He said yup we switched, something in pride changed. Wasn’t holding up anymore. Dogs looked like hell .

Old Post 02-27-2020 08:44 PM
jford228 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jford228 Click here to Send jford228 a Private Message Click Here to Email jford228 Find more posts by jford228 Add jford228 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I was feeding a different brand in 26/18...fed it for many years and then last year the dogs fell off bad...hair looked bad and I increased feed by almost 25 percent...dogs were doing bad...ear infections and other issues...changed dog food and they look good again on normal rations...

Old Post 02-28-2020 12:49 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Pride

I’ve always Fed Pride Pro Series 27-20 for the past 4-5 years. Hard feed to beat for the Money. Dogs always have looked good. During the winter when hunting hard there is no problem keeping the weight on.

Old Post 02-28-2020 03:22 PM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carpenter
UKC Forum Member

pride pro series

any problems with dogs overheating in summer on the pride pro series 27-20

Old Post 02-29-2020 11:43 AM
carpenter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carpenter Click here to Send carpenter a Private Message Find more posts by carpenter Add carpenter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Re: pride pro series

quote:
Originally posted by carpenter
any problems with dogs overheating in summer on the pride pro series 27-20

I have fed the 21 17 in the summertime, same ingredients just a lower protein and fat, and haven't had any problems with dogs that were in good shape. I've had dogs that were getting hot and starting to chew on the tree when feeding other feed with more corn in in it, and switched them to the 21 17 and saw an almost immediate difference.

The Pride Pro Series 21 17

Chicken By Product Meal, Ground Brewers Rice, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Wheat Flour, Natural Chicken Flavor, Fish Meal, Flaxseed, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Chlorine Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganous Oxide, d- Biotin, Menadione Dimethylprimidinol Bisulfite ( source of Vitamin K), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroidide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Inositol and, Sodium Selenite.

The Pride Pro Series 27 20

Chicken By Product Meal, Ground Brewers Rice, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Wheat Flour, Natural Chicken Flavor, Fish Meal, Flaxseed, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Chlorine Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganous Oxide, d- Biotin, Menadione Dimethylprimidinol Bisulfite ( source of Vitamin K), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroidide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Inositol and, Sodium Selenite.

Old Post 02-29-2020 03:40 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

The Pride 31 22

I've used this feed for pregnant females, nursing females, and pups once they get big enough to eat an adult sized kibble (could be used earlier if allowed to soak in water or milk to a softened stage which takes a while with this feed for some reason), and it has worked better than anything else that I have ever used. I've also mixed this in with dogs regular feed during super cold spells and have had dogs gain weight during those cold periods without having to feed a lot more feed. I am one that is leery of feeding this high of protein to a dog on a regular basis unless they really need it because of a higher need for extra calories that can be burned off. I have noticed that it takes a little time to get the dogs used to this feed and would recommend a slower than normal switch to it to give the dogs time to adjust. If not you will probably see some very black loose stool for awhile. I have multiple dogs and have to clean up concrete floors every day so I have seen this first hand up close and personal. lol.

Chicken by Product Meal, Steam Rolled Oats, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Ground Whole Wheat, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Beet Pulp, Fish Meal, Flax Seed, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Dried Whole Eggs, Dried Cheese, Natural Chicken Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Calcium Propionate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate.

Calorie Content

Calculated Metabolized Energy......524 Kcal/Cup

Old Post 02-29-2020 03:56 PM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

The Pride 26/18 Adult Performance

This is the Pride formula that seems to work best with multiple dogs although I do have one now that had some issues with digesting it when she was younger and I haven't tried her on it again since she is older. Don't know what disagrees with her but she does fine on 26 20 or 21 17 Pro Series, Pride's grain free feed, and also Dog Chow. I think it is the porcine meat and bone meal in this blend that she couldn't handle but that is just a guess.

Porcine Meat and Bone Meal, Ground Brewers Rice, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid),Chicken by Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed, Dried Whole Eggs, Dried Cheddar Cheese, Dried Brewers Yeast, Dried Whey, Dried Buttermilk, Dried Cottage Cheese, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Chlorine Chloride, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganous Oxide, d- Biotin,Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C ), Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite ( source of Vitamin K), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroidide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Inositol and, Sodium Selenite.

Old Post 02-29-2020 04:01 PM
coonhunter00
UKC Forum Member

I have fed Pride for years. However, the only two bags I feed are the pro series (Orange in the fall/winter & Green in the spring and summer). My dogs do better on it than dog chow it seems. I have fed several other feeds trying them and a few as great (Pro Plan, Victor, and Black Gold) However, I have mainly stuck with Pride because I can get it 2 miles from home and it’s priced well. My dogs have never had any issues on it and always performed/ looked well on it. I do avoid the black bag if I can help it because you will have double the cleanup with it.

Old Post 03-01-2020 03:19 PM
coonhunter00 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter00 Click here to Send coonhunter00 a Private Message Click Here to Email coonhunter00 Find more posts by coonhunter00 Add coonhunter00 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I have been feeding the orange bag 27/20 I believe for about 2 months now. I fed pro plan 30/20 for several years. The only differences I see are my dogs filled out a little and my wallet is still a little fuller too. It is about half the price of pro plan. I was skeptical at first, I did not think a product reasonably priced could be worth a darn, but it has been so far.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 03-02-2020 10:31 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tyler Stroh
UKC Forum Member

I feed Pride 26 18 and my dogs do great on it.

Home of:
GRCH NITECH 'pr' Wild Rivers Black River Boy 2
*2020 Autumn Oaks Mini Slam overall winner
*qualified 2021 UKC Tournament of Champions
*2021 Indiana Spring Classic overall hunt winner

CH NITECH Gilmans Rebel X Roxy Blk Rock
*qualified 2024 UKC tournament of champions
*UKC performance sire

CH 'pr' Wild Rivers Black Kat
CH 'pr' Wild Rivers Poison Ivy
pr Wild Rivers Big Ben

RIP:
CH NITECH 'pr' Black River Boy
CH 'pr' Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen

Old Post 03-02-2020 08:35 PM
Tyler Stroh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tyler Stroh Click here to Send Tyler Stroh a Private Message Find more posts by Tyler Stroh Add Tyler Stroh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Stroh
I feed Pride 26 18 and my dogs do great on it.

One winter years ago that is what me and Dad we’re feeding. We had all of our dogs at his place so there were several dogs there. For some reason Dad started buying the orange bag 27 20 instead of the dark green bag of 26 18. Just as soon as it started getting cold the dog started started dropping weight even though I fed more. I had him switch back to the 26 18 and the dogs went back to normal. That told me all I needed to see. It’s just harder
to get the 26 18 around here because most dealers stock the orange bag instead. I think it became more popular because of the name Pro Series.

Old Post 03-03-2020 02:41 AM
mjgrigas
UKC Forum Member

There's a place in town that sells pride dog food and after feeding dog chow for years I decided to try the pro series 21/17 pride food. I bought a bag. I'm here to say in all truthfulness it's an upgrade from dog chow. About the same price to . first ingredient is chicken, where as it's corn in dog chow. My dog loves it and has more energy, shiny coat and good stools. It's an upgrade. I admit I had reservations. I also found other coonhunters in the area that feed pride. Not a bad feed in my opinion.

Old Post 03-17-2020 10:02 PM
mjgrigas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjgrigas Click here to Send mjgrigas a Private Message Click Here to Email mjgrigas Find more posts by mjgrigas Add mjgrigas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjgrigas
UKC Forum Member

There's a place in town that sells pride dog food and after feeding dog chow for years I decided to try the pro series 21/17 pride food. I bought a bag. I'm here to say in all truthfulness it's an upgrade from dog chow. About the same price to . first ingredient is chicken, where as it's corn in dog chow. My dog loves it and has more energy, shiny coat and good stools. It's an upgrade. I admit I had reservations. I also found other coonhunters in the area that feed pride. Not a bad feed in my opinion.

Old Post 03-17-2020 10:02 PM
mjgrigas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjgrigas Click here to Send mjgrigas a Private Message Click Here to Email mjgrigas Find more posts by mjgrigas Add mjgrigas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Chicken By Product Meal, Ground Brewers Rice, Ground Yellow Corn in the 21 17 Pride and Corn, meat and bone meal, and corn gluten meal in the "made with whole chicken" Dog Chow.

Purina replied to a question on facebook that I posted on their thread advertising Dog Chow of how they could say "made with whole chicken" and meat and bone meal and corn being the first three. Their answer was that by law they could advertise that on the bag if more than 3% of the ingredients were whole chicken. I think that is very misleading but I've switched from Pride to Dog Chow for now because of price. I've been getting 10% to 25% off a bag at Tractor Supply and signed up with Pro Club which will get me another appr. $3.75 a bag back from Purina. Might have to mix in with some other feed without corn this summer if the dogs get too hot when hunting them. Thinking I might mix it with the Pride 31 22 blend which has very little corn in it.

Old Post 03-17-2020 10:30 PM
jakecumberledge
UKC Forum Member

Been feeding the black bag year round now the past few years and haven’t had a problem with it at all

“PR”Woodland Country Side
“PR”Dukes Tree Bustin Duchess
“PR”Country Roads Ranger Jim

Beagles
CH GRHBCH Shenango Shylo
HBCH"PR"Shenango White River Bella
Woodland Drew Brees
Woodlands Blazin MJ
HBCH Woodland K Hello Dolly
“PR”Woodland Danger Ranger
State Line Gypsy

Old Post 03-18-2020 05:35 AM
jakecumberledge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jakecumberledge Click here to Send jakecumberledge a Private Message Find more posts by jakecumberledge Add jakecumberledge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote