UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Diamond Dog Food
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Traxx Addict
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by COYOTE-HUNTER
I have never noticed a breakdown in my dogs.
Thanks.

When feeding a corn based feed, you wont notice a "breakdown" until your dog has negative side effects due to stressed kidneys.

Feed whatever you want...but do your dog a favor and NEVER feed any dog feed with corn in it.

***TEAM TRAXX***

PUPS FOR SALE...
GRNITECH Hawk's Traxx Attack X Stylish Pete/ Wipeout Female

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-11-2011 12:05 PM
Traxx Addict is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Traxx Addict Click here to Send Traxx Addict a Private Message Find more posts by Traxx Addict Add Traxx Addict to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

Corn causes kidney failure? Well I'll be darned! And here I was thinking it was the overdosing with ivomec!

Old Post 02-11-2011 12:17 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
II Chance
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: corn Traxx

quote:
Originally posted by Traxx Addict
Sorry..but I make a living studying animal nutrition. Corn is USELESS for a dog.

Their digestive system isn't made to digest a corn based diet. it stresses their kidneys and digestive system and is the culprit behind many of the kidney related deaths of dogs.

Corn is only 6-8 % protein at best. To get their junk feed to 20+% protein, they have to add "by products" such as chicken feathers, hair, hooves, etc. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand that eating hooves, feathers and hair isn't natural and by the time the dogs kidneys get done breaking down that feed, they are only getting 8-10% protein at best.

People hate to hear the truth and accept the fact that if they are feeding a junk feed that is hurting their dog and possibly shortening their life.

Common sense says a diet based on meat and real , digestible protein is more natural and healthier for a dog than a diet based on corn, feathers, hair, etc.

If folks can understand that, how do they make it thru everyday life?? It isn't rocket science. It is common sense.

Feed corn to chickens, hogs and cows. Feed MEAT and REAL PROTEIN to dogs.

God made them that way for a reason.

How true your statement is. The fox and coyote live on rabbit,mice, squirral,birds, turkey,deer, cattle, chicken and any other meat animals. You I have never saw one of these K9's eating corn. Corn is just a filler.

Last edited by II Chance on 02-11-2011 at 02:44 PM

Old Post 02-11-2011 02:33 PM
II Chance is offline Click Here to See the Profile for II Chance Click here to Send II Chance a Private Message Find more posts by II Chance Add II Chance to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

...but they love Corn bread!

Old Post 02-11-2011 03:05 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

I have seen Purina Hi Pro mentioned several times in the dog food threads here and some saying Purina ONE was comparable to the old Hi Pro. Thought some of you might like to see the ingredients lists of the two for comparison.

Hi Pro

Purina ONE

I have fed a number of dog foods over the years and have kept a label from most of them so that I could see their content and compare them. I have always had an interest in dog foods and have picked the ones I thought were the best choice for my situation and my dogs.

Dog foods come and go over time I have noticed. Extreme Athlete seems to be the one some are doting over at this time. Next year there will be another one I suspect.

I would suggest that anyone choose a food of the better quality and go with it and forget the hype. You simply cannot expect to feed a dog food that costs 85 cents a pound and think you will save enough by feeding it to make up the difference between it and a good one that is half the price.

No one is saying how much a cup of their dog food weighs and how much the dog weighs and how much food they are actually consuming of each food. This is the way to calculate the cost of feeding dogs.

Last edited by Bluedogman on 02-11-2011 at 03:43 PM

Old Post 02-11-2011 03:36 PM
COYOTE-HUNTER
UKC Forum Member

NEVER SEEN A K9 EAT CORN!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE NO SWEET CORN AROUND!!!!!!NO FIELD CORN!!!
Dear friend, I invite you over this summer. We can talk dogs and dog food. We will watch the dogs tear ears of corn off to feed on. We will at times catch a coyote do the same.

Old Post 02-11-2011 03:43 PM
COYOTE-HUNTER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for COYOTE-HUNTER Click here to Send COYOTE-HUNTER a Private Message Click Here to Email COYOTE-HUNTER Find more posts by COYOTE-HUNTER Add COYOTE-HUNTER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
NEVER SEEN A K9 EAT CORN!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE NO SWEET CORN AROUND!!!!!!NO FIELD CORN!!!
Dear friend, I invite you over this summer. We can talk dogs and dog food. We will watch the dogs tear ears of corn off to feed on. We will at times catch a coyote do the same.

Old Post 02-11-2011 03:45 PM
joshtee
UKC Forum Member

Back original topic.

Looks like the Costco Kirkland Chicken, Rice, and Vegitables dog food is the same as the Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice.

It might be cheaper at Costco.

Old Post 02-11-2011 04:27 PM
joshtee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joshtee Click here to Send joshtee a Private Message Click Here to Email joshtee Find more posts by joshtee Add joshtee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buckshot
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bluedogman
...but they love Corn bread!

Funny you post that as when I think back at Granddaddy's dogs and the biscuits and scraps they were fed from Granny's cooking with all that lard, it's a wonder they survived to 14, 15, 16 years.

Heck he even had one go 19 years (No BS) - blind as all get out, hip joint would pop out if he jumped, and have to be held to leash as he would still like to roam and find a female in heat.

Old Post 02-11-2011 05:09 PM
Buckshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buckshot Click here to Send Buckshot a Private Message Click Here to Email Buckshot Find more posts by Buckshot Add Buckshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Bad....

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 02-11-2011 05:50 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hootchandjaws
UKC Forum Member

re

right now I am feeding sportmix but am switching over to EA my one dog is 85ibs and I feed him 32 oz's a day and is well maintained my other is 90ibs and I feed him 34 oz's. Once I get complety switched over to EA I will be able to see the tru difference of feed amount diff. Thanks to the guys the showed me the away from corn. I did notice EA has barley in it what does that do. just curious.

Old Post 02-11-2011 06:16 PM
hootchandjaws is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hootchandjaws Click here to Send hootchandjaws a Private Message Click Here to Email hootchandjaws Find more posts by hootchandjaws Add hootchandjaws to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSnowgren
UKC Forum Member

I tried ONE back early to mid 90's and didn't care for it at all. That Kirkland looks decent as does the Native. I feed EA and while there are things that I don't like about it, I can supplement it much easier to hit the total grams of protein that I want. I don't care for the brewers rice at all and I think the protein sources in the EA need supplementing as well. The best thing about EA, in my mind, is the fat source and the lack of grain/filler (besides the brewers rice). When I supplement, a bag of EA can last a very long time, almost to the point of it going bad or stale. I supplement with a little cooked rice for the carbs and some meat protein once in awhile if I hammer them hard one night.

Old Post 02-11-2011 06:29 PM
CSnowgren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSnowgren Click here to Send CSnowgren a Private Message Find more posts by CSnowgren Add CSnowgren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hootchandjaws
UKC Forum Member

re

where can can you get that kirkland at, price,, on it and what is the fat to protein on it.

Old Post 02-11-2011 08:17 PM
hootchandjaws is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hootchandjaws Click here to Send hootchandjaws a Private Message Click Here to Email hootchandjaws Find more posts by hootchandjaws Add hootchandjaws to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deepsouthkenels
New UKC Forum Member

i feed the diamond maintenance feed for 20.00 for a 40 lbs bag its great feed

Old Post 02-11-2011 08:43 PM
deepsouthkenels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deepsouthkenels Click here to Send deepsouthkenels a Private Message Click Here to Email deepsouthkenels Find more posts by deepsouthkenels Add deepsouthkenels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joshtee
UKC Forum Member

Re: re

quote:
Originally posted by hootchandjaws
where can can you get that kirkland at, price,, on it and what is the fat to protein on it.

Kirkland is the Costco store brand. The Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables is made by Diamond.

Although, I just noticed that the Guaranteed Analysis is slightly different. They seem very close, but slightly different in ingredient order and analysis.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_...932&cat=all

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_...733&cat=all

Old Post 02-11-2011 08:47 PM
joshtee is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joshtee Click here to Send joshtee a Private Message Click Here to Email joshtee Find more posts by joshtee Add joshtee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Why can people not understand dog,s are carnivores (meateaers) and as actual weight per cup the feed I use weighs 4 oz per cup and I feed depends on the dog anywhere between a cup and a half too three cup

Old Post 02-11-2011 11:57 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't feed Diamond to a dog I hated. After losing the best hound I've ever followed to a bad batch of Diamond, I'll never give them another penny.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 02-12-2011 12:11 AM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hootchandjaws
UKC Forum Member

what diamond was it that you lost your dog too

Old Post 02-12-2011 12:14 AM
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

It was the Diamond Premium 26-18. This was about 4 or 5 years ago, they had a big recall. The recall came about a week too late.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 02-12-2011 12:34 AM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I belkeve tht recall was about some moldy corn anotheer reason not too feed corn based feed

Old Post 02-12-2011 01:25 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Traxx Addict
Banned

quote:

Summertime?? When corn is sweet and high in sugars?? I guess you didnt think of that.

Let's come back in the winter time and see if they do the same thing to a dried corn on the cob,

The corn in dog feed is DRIED, No sugars are any longer present, ALL STARCH, and the protein content in it is 1/4 of what it was when it was still green.

Nice try though.

***TEAM TRAXX***

PUPS FOR SALE...

Old Post 02-12-2011 02:27 AM
Traxx Addict is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Traxx Addict Click here to Send Traxx Addict a Private Message Find more posts by Traxx Addict Add Traxx Addict to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Traxx Addict
Banned

quote:
You simply cannot expect to feed a dog food that costs 85 cents a pound and think you will save enough by feeding it to make up the difference between it and a good one that is half the price.

YOU are the one refusing to take the advise and personal testimonies of people who have fed the other feeds, then fed the Diamond EA and fed less and SAVED MONEY ion the long run. I have been doing it for over a year now and the proof is in my wallet and the difference in the health and performance of my dogs.

Weight of a cup of fed has NOTHING to do with the amount, etc.

The feeding ration to size of dog is on the bag.

How much more simple can it be made.

And FYI..I believe Purina to be Junk as well.

***TEAM TRAXX***

PUPS FOR SALE...

Old Post 02-12-2011 02:30 AM
Traxx Addict
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Forest
I wouldn't feed Diamond to a dog I hated. After losing the best hound I've ever followed to a bad batch of Diamond, I'll never give them another penny.

Hey Forest, wake up and pay attention.

We are talking about Diamond Extreme Athlete. It has NO CORN in it.

$10 says you are feeding a feed in it right now that has corn in it.

The moldy corn problem has hit other feed companies as well in the last few years. It wasn't Diamond's fault. They buy corn from brokers who have supposedly had the corn tested Aflotoxin free. Purina has had the same thing happen to them with their feeds as well.

***TEAM TRAXX***

PUPS FOR SALE...

Old Post 02-12-2011 02:34 AM
Traxx Addict
Banned

Re: re

quote:
Originally posted by hootchandjaws
right now I am feeding sportmix but am switching over to EA my one dog is 85ibs and I feed him 32 oz's a day and is well maintained my other is 90ibs and I feed him 34 oz's. Once I get complety switched over to EA I will be able to see the tru difference of feed amount diff. Thanks to the guys the showed me the away from corn. I did notice EA has barley in it what does that do. just curious.

32oz of feed???? You have got to be kidding me. I couldnt afford that at all.

My dad has a walker dog that easily weighs 100lbs. He cannot turn around in a full size Diamond deluxe dog box. He is fed 4.5 cups of Diamond EA a day and stays trim, healthy looking and fit. Not fat, not thin and ready to hunt whenever he is called to. I have not weighed the feed, but I doubt 5 cups weighs more than 10-12 oz.

You will like the Diamond EA. Larger dogs have more organ problems. Their digestive systems will be much healthier on the no corn feed.

***TEAM TRAXX***

PUPS FOR SALE...

Old Post 02-12-2011 02:38 AM
Traxx Addict
Banned

You know folks..I make a living trying to get the most from feed to raise animals the most cost efficient and healthy way you can. I have helped formulate feed programs that can grow a 5.75 lb chicken in 43 days or a 300 lb. hog at 7 months old. I know a little about basic animal digestion and absorption capabilities.

Dont be fooled by these people who claim Corn is a healthy base for a dog feed. They are lying thru their teeth..Whether thru ignorance or willful deception.... They are lying all the same.

It is a shame that people will deny facts and argue for the sake of arguing and trying to disprove sound science and common sense.
It makes me wonder what kind of people they are when they think no one is watching.

***TEAM TRAXX***

PUPS FOR SALE...

Old Post 02-12-2011 02:45 AM