UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Before any changes !
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Before any changes !

A couple things that helped hunts prosper I still do it now if a family showed up and you knew they were running tight for money they ate free and if he guided or judged his entry was free this was done without anybody else knowing it's not always about the money you know usually they ended up being the best help ever always dependable it always reaped big dividends.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-12-2018 02:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Clubs in our area did the same type of things , it was a different world then. I think a lot could be re visited from the yesteryears to help build forward.I know for sure that some type of changes are needed for the future of houndsmen and competition Hunting in general. I don't know the answer but I hope something's helps to bring back the interest .

Good post tar

Old Post 02-12-2018 03:01 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Before any changes !

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
A couple things that helped hunts prosper I still do it now if a family showed up and you knew they were running tight for money they ate free and if he guided or judged his entry was free this was done without anybody else knowing it's not always about the money you know usually they ended up being the best help ever always dependable it always reaped big dividends.

Tar

It will have to be built from both directions. The club and the KC. The KC can give us programs that work but the club will have to build its membership. When I was young most of our club event were non sanctioned stuff. Club hunts, trade days ect... not everyone showed up to hunt the sanctioned stuff but because the club was strong they showed up to help. There got to be more sanctioned events and less club events and the people went away.

In my opinion there are a lot of clubs that need to go away. They were started strictly for a few of the guys to get wins on their dogs at home and that's it. There are 10 of those for every real club. They need gone.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-12-2018 03:13 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

So did y'all quit doing those types of things? Is that why your #'s dropped?
There are two types of changes. The changes to try to increase participation and the changes because there are fewer dogs being hunted.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 02-12-2018 at 03:18 PM

Old Post 02-12-2018 03:14 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Before any changes !

quote:
Originally posted by joey
It will have to be built from both directions. The club and the KC. The KC can give us programs that work but the club will have to build its membership. When I was young most of our club event were non sanctioned stuff. Club hunts, trade days ect... not everyone showed up to hunt the sanctioned stuff but because the club was strong they showed up to help. There got to be more sanctioned events and less club events and the people went away.

In my opinion there are a lot of clubs that need to go away. They were started strictly for a few of the guys to get wins on their dogs at home and that's it. There are 10 of those for every real club. They need gone.

Joey I am with you that's what feild reps ( we ain't got none here ) were for only thing is a lot of those guys are popular with the kc.

Richard being how most of the time the money is coming out of my pocket lol if sombody needs a little help I just do it. But when the clubs were strong we put on charities and helped a lot of people that never ever would have asked for it that creates a bond the trouble we are facing did not happen over night and it won't be fixed over night.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 02-12-2018 at 03:34 PM

Old Post 02-12-2018 03:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
So did y'all quit doing those types of things? Is that why your #'s dropped?
There are two types of changes. The changes to try to increase participation and the changes because there are fewer dogs being hunted.

Life changes and some of the older men died. We still had plenty of hunters around but we just got away from the club events for some reason.

I hope no one thinks that UKC can fix all of this. They are just someone we use to keep up with paperwork for us. Its on us to build the clubs. We cant approach it with the thought that UKC is responsible or even capable of doing it. Its like saying my wife cant cook so I'm not going to eat anymore.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-12-2018 03:32 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

Don't know if changing format/rules or ways UKC hunts are ran are gonna "change" anything UNTIL......
A way to get the 18-25yr old to get involved in the sport.

Computers,I Phones,and live 'Gaming' are the killer.
Sit on their Butts and 'play'.

Also,
Been proven by University studies show every Generation has gotten Lazier and Males are even lower in Testosterone.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 02-12-2018 03:38 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I ain't as good as I once was but I am as good once as I ever was.

Tar

Old Post 02-12-2018 03:41 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

2 weeks ago there was 3 hunts within 30 miles of each other held on the same night, 2 hunts from 2 different registry’s was held out of the same club so a few members could get money won on there dog, Why would 3 different registry’s allow this to happen?

Old Post 02-12-2018 03:57 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Well Tim if you were a kc and it was going to cost you money to do somthing about it would you persue it or Would you try and change it or would you drive your new truck down to the mailbox and see how many checks was in it. Long as that oil well keeps producing no need for more drilling.

Just my unbiased honest opinion.

Tar

Old Post 02-12-2018 04:27 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Another thing is the "poor boy" hunts. Used to be clubs had a poor boy hunt and the entry fees were low. All you expected to get was a win slip. Now they all are poor boy hunts with higher entry fees and still just a win slip

Old Post 02-12-2018 06:19 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Well Tim if you were a kc and it was going to cost you money to do somthing about it would you persue it or Would you try and change it or would you drive your new truck down to the mailbox and see how many checks was in it. Long as that oil well keeps producing no need for more drilling.

Just my unbiased honest opinion.

Tar

But what everyone is saying is that the oil well is going dry, or is it?
Did you know that there is 1665 hunting events this year?
That tells me that even if you only have just 8 dogs at each event, that 13,320 dogs were entered at approx. 2$ a dog 26,640$ and that is not including the Winter Classic, Walker Days, Autumn Oaks, Sectionals, where there are more dogs attending. There are to many clubs having to many hunts. Get rid of some of these clubs and your numbers will go up. A lot of people say that the NTCH and GRNTCH titles mean less, but they still list them as a selling point on their hounds and pups. More competition makes for a better title, yes it does. But people want the easy way out. I can remember getting the Full Cry mag and first thing we would do is look where and when the next hunt was going to be. Now you don't have to worry because you know there will be some sort of hunt in your back yard this coming weekend, FACT. In fact there are just for 2/12/18 30 PKC hunts tonight. well over 200 for the month of February. Tag that with UKC and CHKC you can go anywhere you want and find a hunt.

As far as the well going dry, no its not, its just a bigger tank to fill now

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 02-12-2018 06:37 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

He was talking about all those kc's having those hunts that close on the same night mike lol. I got to quit talking in code as long as you pay their upfront fees the kc' s don't care if you have all three at the same club and they don't draw a dog just write no dogs entered pay the fee and Mail the check simple as that.and you better have it there on time or you make the nana , nana , boo , boo list lol

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 02-12-2018 at 06:56 PM

Old Post 02-12-2018 06:51 PM
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

what if they got a Lipper bred dog ? are they still welcome ? lol

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Old Post 02-12-2018 09:23 PM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Baldwin
what if they got a Lipper bred dog ? are they still welcome ? lol

Shhhhhhh I got some too !! Come on we will take you.

Tar

Old Post 02-12-2018 09:34 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Let me ask you this.

quote:
He was talking about all those kc's having those hunts that close on the same night mike lol. I got to quit talking in code as long as you pay their upfront fees the kc' s don't care if you have all three at the same club and they don't draw a dog just write no dogs entered pay the fee and Mail the check simple as that.and you better have it there on time or you make the nana , nana , boo , boo list lol

Tar

If you pay the fee they shouldn't care. Just as long as you go by the rules. And we all know everyone follows them. But the only thing they should care about is getting their money. Of course it should be there on time, why not. You want your hunt packet before the hunt don't you? We are the ones that want to put the title on our hounds. Do you think there is some record book sitting up at UKC saying "Over 2 Billion NTCH Crowned" heck no. That fee goes to them, paying employees, recording fees, filling fees. But its not about what UKC Makes. Its about low hunt numbers. Again if there were not so many clubs numbers would be up. Maybe not what I remember from the late 70's and 80's but better than 4-8 hounds.

Old Post 02-12-2018 10:42 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Redgey gives me free pizza coupons tho.

Old Post 02-12-2018 11:02 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Clubs

Food for thought, back in the day, we had turkey shoots every week to make money for our club. A club can do several things to generate cash, but must have all members willing to help with these events. Clubs that have little member participation should seriously consider closing. A few members can not do the work necessary to ensure a clubs success, these small club events tend to benefit only a small clique of individuals putting wins on subpar dogs hunting on buckets. Makes more sense to have fewer clubs hosting larger crowds ehere winning has more prestige. Imo. Dave

Old Post 02-12-2018 11:34 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I am only having 3 hunts a year I guess I can call tomorrow and cancel 2 of them that would be helping right ? and if I don't have any I could just go mooch off sombody else this is getting better all the time we are making big progress I like it.

Tar

Old Post 02-12-2018 11:42 PM
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

Just an opinion from someone that doesn’t competition hunt but may like to try. I am more than happy to give my money to a club that has something more than the competition hunts only. I would like to have a group to put on meat hunts, fun hunts, hunts that teach the rules, turkey shoots any of these things. I think you need to have more variety if you want to survive.

Old Post 02-13-2018 12:35 AM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You be the judge, who really is benefiting from the hunts you guys are holding? If you are helping the youth get started and do not mind losing money, hold as many as you can get. Now if you are mainly benefiting a few adults in getting wins on their dogs and losing money, I say "shut the doors". When people won't stand together to make something work, why should a few benefit? You want to eat, then work for food! Dave

Old Post 02-13-2018 12:36 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave I will speak oklahoma slow so you can un....der ....stand......... Guys are driving 100 miles to hunt here because they have nowhere else to go I have only said that .................... 1000 times if I shut it down they have to stay home and wait for one 100 miles the other dirrection ......... Understand because I don't know how else to say it. And it's kids and grown ups but hey if y'all know a better way I guess I been messen up for 40 yrs.

Slow talking
Tar

Old Post 02-13-2018 12:45 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Don't need to speak slow, just need to get off the fence. You are the one maligning the poor attendence, mohing for free and dipping into your pocket to pay expenses for these hunts. If you are happy to do these things, its all good, so why complain? If on the other hand, you are tired of this as you have stated, close the doors! Show everyone what they are going to miss, maybe the next club will have better membership/participation. Lastly, the problem/s are directly related to lack of members and member participation, nothing UKC can do about that. Dave

Old Post 02-13-2018 01:01 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

If hunters are driving a 100 miles to hunt at your club, you should have a booming business, not the 6-10 dog hunts you been complaining about. You loosing money? I really don't think your business model is working, do you? If there isn't any more interest in competition huntjng in UKC events than 6-10 dogs in 100 mile radius (as you stated), you are in deep dodo. Dave

Old Post 02-13-2018 01:13 AM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I am only having 3 hunts a year I guess I can call tomorrow and cancel 2 of them that would be helping right ? and if I don't have any I could just go mooch off sombody else this is getting better all the time we are making big progress I like it.

Tar

Or you can get on here and keep patting ole Robert on the back. Every time I read your post all I read is “I”. Never see WE, US. That’s what we are saying.
“YOU” can never do it all, but a working Club can. A club is not 1 person a club is several. There is a Beagle club up in Coshocton Ohio that is one of the strongest clubs I have ever seen. But you never see just one person doing it all.

Old Post 02-13-2018 01:13 AM