UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Ch. Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Smokey River Blue Tramp 11
Pages (20): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The Misty River Line

Along about this time I think Jim was about 5 years old. I had recently bought Ruby from Mr. Williamson. We were hunting on water branch slough a few miles up the road from where I live today. I was hunting with a couple of friends Mr. Ellis Bass and Mr. Larry Speights. Ellis is no longer with us due to heart failure a couple of years ago and Larry is not in to good of shape right now. These were two life long friends of mine. We had Jim, Ruby and Molly along with us on this hunt. Molly had recently bred to Jim. The dogs had struck a coon deep in on the ole slough and had a pretty good track going. They all locked up treed and was treeing hard. We listened to them tree for a few minutes and were fixing to head toward them when all of a sudden they all quit treeing and everything was quite. We listened for a while and nothing happened, nothing opened again. We waited for a while. We listened for them to start treeing again or go back to trailing. but nothing happened. In a little bit Molly came in to us and not far behind her Ruby came in, witch was very unusual as she never came in. You always had to go get Ruby, but both dogs just hung around us and would not leave again. I kept looking and hoping that Jim would come in,but he didn't and I was beginning to worry. I started to call for him, but he didn't come. I called for him for another couple of hours. It was probably about 3am and we decided to go in. Now I did not like the Idea of leaving Jim out there, but Ellis and Larry had to work the next day, so I left my coat lying there on the ground in case he came in he would lay on it till I came back for him. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep that night as I was back up there at daylight. There were several sloughs in there and for the next 3 days I waded those sloughs looking for Jim. I had called the fish and game dept. to see if there was any one trapping in there and they informed me that there was a government trapper trapping beaver near there and they told me who he was and they would have him come see me and he did the next morning. I knew the guy that was doing the trapping and he told me that he didn't think a dog could get in one of his traps, but if there was he would let me know and that evening he came by and told me that there was no dog in any of his traps.I thanked him and he left and I went back to searching for Jim. On the third day about mid morning I found him. It was pretty easy to see what had happened. I had never known Jim to climb a tree, but there was a leaning tree there and about 20 feet up there was a limb growing up right in the middle. He had went up this tree and I guess he had tried to go around this limb and had fallen, which the fall probably would not have killed him, but there was a reed cane directly underneath where he fell that had been sharpened off to a sharp point by beavers and he fell on it and it had went almost all the way through him right behind the shoulders. He had managed to get off the red cane, but had only gone a few feet before he died. The reed cane was covered with blood with some on the ground. I sure hated to find him like this, but I'm sure glad I found him. It would have been a lot worse to not have ever knew what happened to him. He was a good one.

Later, the rest of the story

Last edited by Misty river on 09-18-2016 at 12:41 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-28-2015 06:51 PM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

HISTORY

MR. Jack I am enjoying reading the history of the Misty River Line from the beginning and look forward to each part and picture of each hound you had that built the mold for the hounds you hunt today. Great but SAD story about Jim. Glad you found him or you would still be wondering today what happened to him. When you get done putting all this down and catch up to your present day hounds you should print this all out and get a publishing company to print you up some books. If you do that put me down to buy the first copy.

Old Post 11-28-2015 07:48 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Napier II
UKC Forum Member

Good stories! I have enjoyed reading them.

Old Post 11-29-2015 02:30 AM
Gary Napier II is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Napier II Click here to Send Gary Napier II a Private Message Find more posts by Gary Napier II Add Gary Napier II to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

That's very sad. Always seems to happen to the best of dogs. I am always hearin stories from these old timers bout they're dogs leavin em like that. Or to the road. I have a chocolate lab also. Loves birds, water, and attention. Best and smartest dog I have ever seen. Means alot to me. My waterfowl buddy. But he has seizures. Bout once every 3 to 4 months. I pray it never happens when I'm sittin in the blind and watchin him bring a bird back swimmin. Just like wen I'm havin trouble keepin my blue dogs away from the road.

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Old Post 11-29-2015 12:46 PM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. "PR" Misty River Blue Bandit

Old Post 11-30-2015 11:16 PM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Henry Miller

The picture above is the dog that I purchased from Mr. Jack Leatherman out of Gr. Nite Ch. Fred and Gr. Nite Ch. Scoobie Doo. The guy in the picture with him is Mr. Ricky Bozeman of Monticello, Ms. He is the guy that got Bandit from me. They caught a lot of coons togeather. Just thought you might like to see a picture of him. He was a nice dog. Take care Mr. Miller.

Old Post 11-30-2015 11:25 PM
quail ck kennel
UKC Forum Member

I got to scratching my head about those dogs and remember hunting with Bandit 3 or 4 times. Don't remember much about him but he must have done enough to stick in my mind. . He looks a lot like Scoby Door Scoby Doo lived to a ripe old age. I talked to Jack when he lived in Stover Mo.he had 3 or 4 other good dogs at the time. He told me had taken Scoby Doo out a couple nights before and treed 4 or 5 coons and she was still the best dog he had.Scoby Doo was thirteen at the time.Funny how talking about a dog from 35 years ago will bring up old memories.

Last edited by quail ck kennel on 12-01-2015 at 01:01 AM

Old Post 12-01-2015 12:50 AM
quail ck kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for quail ck kennel Click here to Send quail ck kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email quail ck kennel Find more posts by quail ck kennel Add quail ck kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Gr. Nite Ch. Dean's Northern Blue Hammer 11

Old Post 12-02-2015 05:59 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The Misty river line

Dave Dean's Northern Blue Hammer 11 was in my openion Probably one of the best reproducers the Bluetick Breed has had. He was bred to Pearl River Blue ruby and that was the sire and dam of Misty River Blue Molly and that's where Hammer 11 got into the Misty River Line.

Old Post 12-02-2015 06:16 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Grand Nite Ch. "PR" Misty River Blue Molly

Old Post 12-03-2015 05:57 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The Misty River Line

The picture above is of Molly and some of her trophies she won. I hunted her in several of the bigger hunts and she did well. I think the year was along about 1976 when this picture was taken. I hunted her at the BBCHA Fall Roundup in Pine Bluff, Ark. where she won 3rd place on Friday Night and 2nd place on Saturday Night and was high scoring dog and Queen of the hunt. She got her 1st place win at the South East Louisiana State Championship where she was high scoring dog overall and was crowned Southeast La. State Ch.. She won the Nite Ch. Hunt Friday Night at the Dixie National Championship. She also won high scoring dog of the Deep South Championship in Picayune Ms. Where she was crowned the Deep South Champion. Molly went on to win a lot of other hunts that my memory cant recall. I bred Molly 3 times, One time to Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Smith's Blue Jim. One time to Gr. Nite Ch. Dean's Northern Blue Hammer V. And one time to Bramletts Bayou Blue Jim.
I'll tell a little about those crosses next.

Later the rest of the story

Last edited by Misty river on 12-03-2015 at 06:58 PM

Old Post 12-03-2015 06:45 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

"PR" Misty River blue Pat

Old Post 12-04-2015 01:36 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The Misty River Line

The Pat female pictured above was out of the cross of Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Smith's Blue Jim and Gr. Nite Ch. "PR" Misty River Blue Molly. She was a nice female. I hunted her around here until she was about 2 years old and let someone else have her.Pat was off the line, but was not in the line.

Old Post 12-04-2015 01:48 AM
Barnes.M
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Jack, You told your story of losing your hound well. Sorry for your loss. I't reminded me of my Dad losing his female bluetick grand nite champion smokey river sue back during the seventies, he also left his coat and came back calling for weeks but never found her. Thanks for your story it brought back great memories for me having the honer of hunting with my Dad and sue.

Old Post 12-04-2015 02:08 AM
Barnes.M is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Barnes.M Click here to Send Barnes.M a Private Message Find more posts by Barnes.M Add Barnes.M to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Gr.Nite Ch."PR"Misty River Blue Molly and "PR"Misty River Blue Pat

Old Post 12-05-2015 06:25 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The misty River Line

The picture above is of Molly and Pat, Mother and Daughter.
A coon had a hard time getting away from these two.

Thank you for posting up Mr. Barnes. I'm glad you are enjoying the story.

Later, the rest of the story

Old Post 12-05-2015 06:41 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Gr.Nite Ch "PR"Dean,s Northern Blue Hammer V

Hammer V was the second dog that I bred Molly to with great results.I will tell about that cross next.

Later the rest of the story.

Old Post 12-06-2015 10:21 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Nite Ch. "PR" Raybourn's Blue Smoke

Old Post 12-06-2015 10:28 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The Misty River Line

Smoke was from the Cross Of Hammer V and Molly He was a natural from a pup. He belonged to My friend Billy Raybourn. If Smoke had been hunted hard and pushed in the hunts, he would have been a great one, but due to Billy's work load he wasn't pushed hard, but he was still a remarkable hound. I'm sure Billy made several crosses on Smoke, but the one that stands out in my mine was the cross of Smoke and Nite Ch. "PR" Stokes Blue Ruby. Ruby and Molly were Littermate sisters. This cross produced two Male pups that I remember well. My friend which is no longer with us Mr. Bassil Kittel owned one of these pups and he made a great hound. His name was Nite Ch. Kittel's Bandit. Bandit was known mostly for his wins in P.K.C. where he was a big winner for many years. The other pup out of this cross was "PR" Stringers Blue Bullet that belonged to another friend of mine Mr. Charles Stringer from down on the Ms. Gulf Coast. Mr. Stringer is no longer with us. I had heard Quite a bit about this hound. Mr. Stringer had just made bullet a Nite Ch. I was at a hunt down south of here along about this time and Mr. Stringer was there with Bullet. I got to talking with Mr. Stringer about him and I asked him if he might consider selling Bullet and he told me he would and I brought Bullet back home with me. Smoke was of the line, but was not in the line. I'll tell Bullet's story next.

Later the rest of the story

Last edited by Misty river on 12-08-2015 at 12:02 AM

Old Post 12-06-2015 11:08 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Gr. Nite Ch."PR"Deans Northern Blue Hammer V

Old Post 12-07-2015 11:52 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

The Misty River Line

Above is a picture od Dave Dean's Northern Blue Hammer V. He and Molly were the Sire and Dam of Raybourn's Blue Smoke.

Later the rest of the story.

Old Post 12-07-2015 11:58 PM
Jamie Carter
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the stories Mr. Jack, I love hearing about these old dogs and history.

Old Post 12-08-2015 12:25 PM
Jamie Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jamie Carter Click here to Send Jamie Carter a Private Message Click Here to Email Jamie Carter Find more posts by Jamie Carter Add Jamie Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

“Raybourn’s Blue Smoke” I haven’t heard that name in a very long time. The first registered Bluetick that I ever own was off of Raybourn’s Blue Smoke. I bought the pup from Mr. Claude Ladender in Hammond, La. for $50.00. I had the puppy about 3 weeks when he was killed one morning when my mother was backing out to go to the store. Boy I was heartbroken. I call Mr. Ladender and told him what happened, the very next day I was on my way back to his house to pick up the last male he had. He made an OK coondog, and I had lots of fun nights with him.

Old Post 12-08-2015 06:28 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rowdy
UKC Forum Member

I am all caught on reading Mr Jack. Give us some more!

Old Post 12-08-2015 09:50 PM
Rowdy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rowdy Click here to Send Rowdy a Private Message Click Here to Email Rowdy Find more posts by Rowdy Add Rowdy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary Napier II
UKC Forum Member

I have liked reading the stories you have written and seeing the pictures you have posted. Very interesting !

Old Post 12-09-2015 01:28 AM
Gary Napier II is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Napier II Click here to Send Gary Napier II a Private Message Find more posts by Gary Napier II Add Gary Napier II to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote