UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Oklahoma Ruttin Coon
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
j.keener
UKC Forum Member

Oklahoma Ruttin Coon

Ran one last night 3.4 miles by the Garmin had the meat big ridge running boar! Been having some long race's here lately just seeing if anyone else has been havin any?!

FIELD REPRESENTATIVE OF MOONSHINER LIGHTS!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-2011 07:28 PM
j.keener is offline Click Here to See the Profile for j.keener Click here to Send j.keener a Private Message Click Here to Email j.keener Find more posts by j.keener Add j.keener to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greg stull
Banned

THE RACES ARE GETTING LONGER HERE ALSO. MOST OF THE COONS TREED HERE LATELY HAVE BEEN IN PAIRS.

Old Post 01-19-2011 08:02 PM
greg stull is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greg stull Click here to Send greg stull a Private Message Click Here to Email greg stull Find more posts by greg stull Add greg stull to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Oklahoma Ruttin Coon

quote:
Originally posted by j.keener
Ran one last night 3.4 miles by the Garmin had the meat big ridge running boar! Been having some long race's here lately just seeing if anyone else has been havin any?!

What part of Okla. are you in? I am getting longer races now that it is colder but a lot of them are ending in holes instead of a tree. Real tough tracking too if they come out of the creek bottom and head across open fields.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Old Post 01-19-2011 08:13 PM
Okie Dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Dawg Click here to Send Okie Dawg a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Dawg Find more posts by Okie Dawg Add Okie Dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1okiesawyers

The N.W. Oklahoma Big coon contest last weekend. I treed 3 up one tree. The other 2 races (coons) was quick 200 yrd. track and slammed them on the outside. But up till that night, it was hard to even get a track started....

Old Post 01-19-2011 10:10 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 1okiesawyers
The N.W. Oklahoma Big coon contest last weekend. I treed 3 up one tree. The other 2 races (coons) was quick 200 yrd. track and slammed them on the outside. But up till that night, it was hard to even get a track started....
Herb Bradden and I won this hunt; treed three on the outside, two in dens, that we saw, two dens, and 1 slick hackberry. The large boar we won with weighed over twenty (20) pounds, was 35 1/2 inches long. His testicles were swelled a lot; he ran about 3/4 mile. Steve Miller and I hunted the two nights previous treed three and two, respectfully; one was also a boar that had the previous "equipment", but he didn't run very far. Was home by midnight both nights. Just information. Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 01-19-2011 11:18 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1okiesawyers

I guess they're having a big coon contest Feb. 19th. in Crescent..

Old Post 01-20-2011 01:04 AM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Yeah, I guess that's just what we need to do is kill some bred sows. Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 01-20-2011 01:49 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joey

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit

pigsit I see the names of your dogs did you own or know of a female named Honky Tonk Cj?

Old Post 01-20-2011 03:53 AM
Travis Sawney
UKC Forum Member

Been gettin pretty tough in these ol hills, Treein a few on the outside, not many in den trees.. been puttin more in bluff dens.

I just got in from huntin a young pup. Dropped em on two feeders, first was a older track he couldnt do anything with and the other made a mad dash to a rock den. Sure wish i had a couple of them pop up feeder coon i hear about.

Last edited by Travis Sawney on 01-20-2011 at 04:24 AM

Old Post 01-20-2011 04:21 AM
Travis Sawney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Sawney Click here to Send Travis Sawney a Private Message Find more posts by Travis Sawney Add Travis Sawney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1okiesawyers

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit

Yea I guess we all killed them last weekend to. Did you kill your 20 lb. coon, Or take it alive ?

Old Post 01-20-2011 12:46 PM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 1okiesawyers
Yea I guess we all killed them last weekend to. Did you kill your 20 lb. coon, Or take it alive ?
My point is this: Historically the coon season in Oklahoma has been December and January, and in January, you don't usually tree a lot of outside coon, depending on the weather and the rut. Once those sows are bred, we are destroying our sport when we knowingly kill them; when in sixty days they will be having their litters. Have you noticed that in the earyl spring 'til the litters hit the ground that it is tougher to start a coon? Lots of nights, and I hunt lots of nights, half the dumps you make, don't start a coon track? Oh yeah, in season, just because I tree a coon, doesn't mean I kill it.Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 01-20-2011 02:06 PM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Joey
pigsit I see the names of your dogs did you own or know of a female named Honky Tonk Cj?
I did not own Honky Tonk CJ; Honky Tonk was Gary Moore's prefix; he bred the Duke dog, the Roller dog and several others that I titled, including the Tom dog I sold Cameron Mitchell in Idaho. The dog was way too good a cat dog to stay here in OK as a coon dog. These dogs have great noses, big mouths and lots of track speed; several of them have made great bear, cat and hog dogs. Gary was responsible for the prefix and I put it on some of the dogs I titled out of respect for my friend. Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Last edited by pigsit on 01-20-2011 at 02:19 PM

Old Post 01-20-2011 02:13 PM
brndnnoland
UKC Forum Member

out here in the west it has been hard hunting. Lots of nights following the dogs on long cold tracks to find big ol den at the end. once in a while right at dark i been getting a quick one. I hunted the big coon contest. We hit 6 big den trees and finally dogs got on in a hole at the bottom of a tree after running it bout 3/4 mile. Sow that weighed bout 16. The next two drops we hit hackberry and ol sal laid up 2 in on tree and 3 in another. all last years coons. Never hit the ground just located and had the meat. I'm hoping this weekend with this weather all jacked up it gets them away from the hollers.. Congrats TOM and i'm a young man but i agree with you 100% unless its a long long race and i have a young pup i will never kill a coon after 1st of feb. until atleast may 15th. Any of you local guys need anything from winter classics give me a call i'm leaving tuesday to try and get some big wins on sal.

CH Nitech PR HARD LUCK NOCTURNAL KANDI KANE ( 3 wins toward grn 35 field trial points 35 water race points) 4 win towards Nitch in acha, $ won Pkc ,
PR HARD LUCK SHIMMERING DIAMOND (65 bench points)(35 field trial points)
PR hard luck hope 4 gold
pr hlk buckshots big star
pr hlk hooch's cindarella
PROUD HANDLER OF
NITECH CH PR GARDNER"S BUCKSHOT SAL. W/1 win toward grch, 10 water race points. 15 field trial points.

Old Post 01-20-2011 04:40 PM
brndnnoland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brndnnoland Click here to Send brndnnoland a Private Message Click Here to Email brndnnoland Find more posts by brndnnoland Add brndnnoland to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

Congratulations on your win Tom. That gave me an idea. It may add a little excitement to our sport to take them alive. After all the judge has to measure them when we bring them in. LOL

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

Old Post 01-20-2011 06:49 PM
Okie Dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Dawg Click here to Send Okie Dawg a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Dawg Find more posts by Okie Dawg Add Okie Dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1okiesawyers

I didn't like killing my coons Sat, Night on all my hunting ground. The coons we shot Sat. night could have got bred that night and had kittens so the way I look at it any coon is valuable !! Matter of fact I treed 3 up one tree my first drop Sat. night, I left one in the tree when I left. We have released 6-coons on the creek behind my house last month. And I don't want to kill them. And I will'nt not be at the big coon contest just because I personally don't want to shoot my coons.. : ) I'll be at the Ponca event..

Last edited by on 01-20-2011 at 08:56 PM

Old Post 01-20-2011 06:54 PM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Okie Dawg
Congratulations on your win Tom. That gave me an idea. It may add a little excitement to our sport to take them alive. After all the judge has to measure them when we bring them in. LOL
Really you need to congratulate Herb; he had the coon dog; and was just kind enough to let me and my dog tag along. Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 01-20-2011 06:57 PM
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by brndnnoland
out here in the west it has been hard hunting. Lots of nights following the dogs on long cold tracks to find big ol den at the end. once in a while right at dark i been getting a quick one. I hunted the big coon contest. We hit 6 big den trees and finally dogs got on in a hole at the bottom of a tree after running it bout 3/4 mile. Sow that weighed bout 16. The next two drops we hit hackberry and ol sal laid up 2 in on tree and 3 in another. all last years coons. Never hit the ground just located and had the meat. I'm hoping this weekend with this weather all jacked up it gets them away from the hollers.. Congrats TOM and i'm a young man but i agree with you 100% unless its a long long race and i have a young pup i will never kill a coon after 1st of feb. until atleast may 15th. Any of you local guys need anything from winter classics give me a call i'm leaving tuesday to try and get some big wins on sal.

Good luck at the classic's. Sure would be nice to see some one from Okla. win it.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507

Old Post 01-20-2011 07:06 PM
brndnnoland
UKC Forum Member

Tell ya what Grady. I don't have real good luck. Thats why down there on my signiture it says hard luck kennels. Yea well god gave me the name. But i'll tell ya one thing If there is coons i'm taking a coon dog and she don't believe in luck either. All she knows is finding coons and she is good at it. Just kidding guys lightin up we got to have some fun. And thanks Grady we prolly need the luck more on getting out there and back more than what goes on there. LOL

CH Nitech PR HARD LUCK NOCTURNAL KANDI KANE ( 3 wins toward grn 35 field trial points 35 water race points) 4 win towards Nitch in acha, $ won Pkc ,
PR HARD LUCK SHIMMERING DIAMOND (65 bench points)(35 field trial points)
PR hard luck hope 4 gold
pr hlk buckshots big star
pr hlk hooch's cindarella
PROUD HANDLER OF
NITECH CH PR GARDNER"S BUCKSHOT SAL. W/1 win toward grch, 10 water race points. 15 field trial points.

Old Post 01-20-2011 08:08 PM
brndnnoland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brndnnoland Click here to Send brndnnoland a Private Message Click Here to Email brndnnoland Find more posts by brndnnoland Add brndnnoland to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by brndnnoland
Tell ya what Grady. I don't have real good luck. Thats why down there on my signiture it says hard luck kennels. Yea well god gave me the name. But i'll tell ya one thing If there is coons i'm taking a coon dog and she don't believe in luck either. All she knows is finding coons and she is good at it. Just kidding guys lightin up we got to have some fun. And thanks Grady we prolly need the luck more on getting out there and back more than what goes on there. LOL

I am the same way with the luck. It takes luck no matter how good you are you have to get out with coon. If yu have any trouble in my part of the country let me know. I would be glad to help. Sure wish I could go. I don't have a dog good enough to compete at that level yet but would sure like to go anyway. Have a safe trip.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507

Old Post 01-20-2011 09:21 PM
j.keener
UKC Forum Member

haven't been on in a few days but still runnin long race's and i live in Northeast Oklahoma close to Tahlequah just to answer your question but huntin is good and we have been treein em'

Old Post 01-24-2011 05:24 PM
j.keener is offline Click Here to See the Profile for j.keener Click here to Send j.keener a Private Message Click Here to Email j.keener Find more posts by j.keener Add j.keener to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by j.keener
haven't been on in a few days but still runnin long race's and i live in Northeast Oklahoma close to Tahlequah just to answer your question but huntin is good and we have been treein em'

Yawl have gotten more mosture than us and hold it better. We have been real dry for months and these crop grounds don't hold mosture. We did get a little snow and since then the races have been long. Had real bad luck Sat. night though. Had good races but all ended at a hole,brush pile or den. Except one and they ran it 2 miles. Treed for 30 minutes and when we were 50 yards from them my gyp got a skunk right by the tree and they all got sprayed. My friends dog was rolling on it the dead skunk when we got there. That is the second dog I have ever had that killed a skunk and she was foaming at the mouth so I am sure she is the one that started the crap.
The other 2 guys with me leashed there dogs up. I broke a few rotten sticks on mine then they got whiped with the leash. Then I just left them there. When we got back to the truck I had the other guys put there dogs in the box and get in the truck. Then I called mine in and made them get in the box with out comeing close to me. Haven't touched them since. I don't let them close to me and wont till they smell good again. I hate a skunk dog with a passion. We will be dumping out on skunk for a long time now. LOL

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507

Old Post 01-24-2011 06:44 PM
j.keener
UKC Forum Member

lol thats funny i had a pup get a skunk here awhile back but hasn't done it since but i'm gona hit the woods tonight now that the snow has melted off!

Old Post 01-24-2011 08:07 PM
thereignman
New UKC Forum Member

Coon Hunting In Oklahoma

I was back in Oklahoma since the Middle of last Dec. till the the 16th of Jan. an there were a few times we ran some long runs but tht was where we hunted before an yea we were treeing around 4 to 9 a nite a couple in dens but 3 an 4 at a time an thn 2 had a really good week an those were small but whn we change it up an hit spots we normally didn't hunt at is whn we started getting the bigger coons an not long runs maybe 400 hundred yds an for the big ones which is really good considering these coons can get sum gone but I live in Chewey Oklahoma so there I was please how our dogs did but vacation is over an now I'm back in Minnesota missin Oklahoma hunting the weather is good to hunt there rite now

Old Post 01-24-2011 08:30 PM
thereignman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thereignman Click here to Send thereignman a Private Message Click Here to Email thereignman Find more posts by thereignman Add thereignman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coon Hunting In Oklahoma

quote:
Originally posted by thereignman
I was back in Oklahoma since the Middle of last Dec. till the the 16th of Jan. an there were a few times we ran some long runs but tht was where we hunted before an yea we were treeing around 4 to 9 a nite a couple in dens but 3 an 4 at a time an thn 2 had a really good week an those were small but whn we change it up an hit spots we normally didn't hunt at is whn we started getting the bigger coons an not long runs maybe 400 hundred yds an for the big ones which is really good considering these coons can get sum gone but I live in Chewey Oklahoma so there I was please how our dogs did but vacation is over an now I'm back in Minnesota missin Oklahoma hunting the weather is good to hunt there rite now

What part of Okla. is Chewey in?

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507

Old Post 01-24-2011 09:49 PM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Okie Dawg
Yawl have gotten more mosture than us and hold it better. We have been real dry for months and these crop grounds don't hold mosture. We did get a little snow and since then the races have been long. Had real bad luck Sat. night though. Had good races but all ended at a hole,brush pile or den. Except one and they ran it 2 miles. Treed for 30 minutes and when we were 50 yards from them my gyp got a skunk right by the tree and they all got sprayed. My friends dog was rolling on it the dead skunk when we got there. That is the second dog I have ever had that killed a skunk and she was foaming at the mouth so I am sure she is the one that started the crap.
The other 2 guys with me leashed there dogs up. I broke a few rotten sticks on mine then they got whiped with the leash. Then I just left them there. When we got back to the truck I had the other guys put there dogs in the box and get in the truck. Then I called mine in and made them get in the box with out comeing close to me. Haven't touched them since. I don't let them close to me and wont till they smell good again. I hate a skunk dog with a passion. We will be dumping out on skunk for a long time now. LOL

grady, you're right that little bit of snow sure helped; these pups can actually run a track now. went Saturday night treed my four singles and was home by 1:00. Had a couple of nice races and treed a couple in a hackberry bottom; sure had a fun evening. Sorry about your odor problem, but skunks is one of the easiest things to break them off of; you just have to stay after them. Have fun. Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 01-24-2011 10:30 PM