UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The bad nights
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

The bad nights

We all like to talk about the good nights our dogs have. But mine also have bad nights. Last night I took my 3 1/2 year old out with a friend who had just got a young dog given to him. First turn out my dog goes about 300 yards in, makes a couple of circles the swings around behind me about 250 yards and strikes, makes a tree and it is a den. So OK not the best deal but OK. Move to new spot dog goes about 300 and strikes, friends young dog gets caught in a trap right where my dog is working. By the time we get her out he is back where he struck and trees on a den tree. Not sure about all of that. Next turn out He gets struck, about 3 barks, next thing I see is a streak on the garmin with him headed to the road and then coyotes yapping after him. Move to new place, he doesn't want to hunt but after I get after him a little makes a fair round without striking anything. Friend goes home. Stubborn me, I make another turnout, moon is shining and pretty cold. He finds a cold track and tries for 20-25 minutes to make something happen but I finally toned him and went home. Sounds like fun, huh? But if it wasn't raining I would go again tonight.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-19-2019 11:23 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donmills65
UKC Forum Member

Back over 40 years ago when I first started hunting I had a bunch of bad nights and After a while of learning how to train a dog. I quit talking about the bad nights. Now don’t take it the wrong way I am not afraid to admit my dogs faults and believe me my dogs over the years had faults. I just brush the bad nights off and learn from them and try to improve my dog if not we just don’t talk about my bad nights in the woods especially the times I fell.

Old Post 02-20-2019 12:21 AM
Donmills65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donmills65 Click here to Send Donmills65 a Private Message Find more posts by Donmills65 Add Donmills65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Now Tom just as a friend now mind you and don't tell nobody I just might give you $47.50 for that big beagle you know at depression era prices and all. Glad I was not there might have ruined our streak but that last hunt we had in Spavinaw was not much better covered a lot of ground without a bark and they finally grubbed out a cold track and treed on a den tree.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-20-2019 01:53 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Me and 2 buddies didn't have a great night either. Trees 6 times, 3 dens with coon you could see, 2 dens we couldn't see the coon, and a bone slick (which the dog was a tree off from a den). I've had much better nights but much worse also. Coyotes here are starting to get aggressive this time of year. Makes for some miserable nights from now until mid may when their pups are big enough to venture.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-20-2019 02:07 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Donmills65 I know what you mean. Just wipe the bad nights out of your memory. I do try to see if there was something I could have done to further the training of my dog. Chuck guess I'll keep him for now. He has a lot more good nights than bad. Saturday night I thought he looked as good as any dog could.

Old Post 02-20-2019 02:16 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I figured you would Tom.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-20-2019 02:26 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

If it wasn't for bad nights we wouldn't have good nights. They would all just be nights.

Old Post 02-20-2019 02:50 AM
shadinc is online now Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GLANCY'S 7 MILE
UKC Forum Member

I'm hunting a 2 year old, that isn't fully broke but can flat tree a coon, hunting rough terrain where coons are thin and off game is plentiful. So as you can imagine I have some bad nights as well. To hear some coon hunters talk they don't have many bad nights! They either don't hunt enough to care, don't know better, or can't tell the truth haha!! If you hunt hard bad nights are inevitable! When my dog makes a mistake i'll be the first to admit it, haha and I admit it often.

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Old Post 02-20-2019 06:04 AM
GLANCY'S 7 MILE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GLANCY'S 7 MILE Click here to Send GLANCY'S 7 MILE a Private Message Click Here to Email GLANCY'S 7 MILE Visit GLANCY'S 7 MILE's homepage! Find more posts by GLANCY'S 7 MILE Add GLANCY'S 7 MILE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Much better night tonight. Get deep, get struck, get treed on the right tree. 3 times. That's what I like.

Old Post 02-21-2019 03:32 AM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I have a decent Walker female that is usually does fairly well. I didn't advertise her for sale but a man heard I might sell her so he called and set up a hunt. He drove almost an hour to try her. We made a drop and the dog walked over to the man smelled of him , he reached down petted her and she must have really liked him because she never left his side! What you going to do!!! I offered to pay the man's gas bill and a little extra for his time but he was a gentleman and would not accept anything. But it sure was embarrassing! Lol

Old Post 02-21-2019 02:25 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: The bad nights

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
We all like to talk about the good nights our dogs have. But mine also have bad nights. Last night I took my 3 1/2 year old out with a friend who had just got a young dog given to him. First turn out my dog goes about 300 yards in, makes a couple of circles the swings around behind me about 250 yards and strikes, makes a tree and it is a den. So OK not the best deal but OK. Move to new spot dog goes about 300 and strikes, friends young dog gets caught in a trap right where my dog is working. By the time we get her out he is back where he struck and trees on a den tree. Not sure about all of that. Next turn out He gets struck, about 3 barks, next thing I see is a streak on the garmin with him headed to the road and then coyotes yapping after him. Move to new place, he doesn't want to hunt but after I get after him a little makes a fair round without striking anything. Friend goes home. Stubborn me, I make another turnout, moon is shining and pretty cold. He finds a cold track and tries for 20-25 minutes to make something happen but I finally toned him and went home. Sounds like fun, huh? But if it wasn't raining I would go again tonight.

You call that a bad night? LOL You should come go with me!

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-21-2019 03:35 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

In all my years of hunting coon I've only had 3 really bad nights. the first one was around 1980, was in a UKC hunt. Non hunting judge NT cast. I was hunting a male dog out of FR Banjo, had 3 wins to Grand, small dog, 4 dog cast. Had a LARGE female in cast and she was MEAN. My dog was a loner and hadn't been with the rest of the cast. Anyway the female chewed up the other 2 dogs in the cast. Judge wouldn't scratch her and the other 2 handlers withdrew. Leaving only mine and the female. My dog treed about 700 yards from us , The female got to my dog before we did and I found hin under my truck about 11/2 hrs. later. He did live, but he was never in another comp. hunt.
Second bad hunt a drunk driver driving down a back trail ran over my dog killing him. Best pup I ever owned . I had a red blinking collar on him and the drunk said he seen the lights and didn't know what it was. Pup was coming down the trail and the drunk ran over him from behind.
Third one was another UKC hunt my female was out about 800 to 900 yards by herself. She caught a big coon in a small pond and the coon drowned her. She also had 3 wins to grand.

Any time I go hunting and I and my dogs come home alive and ok I call a good hunt. I've been shot at, they missed, fell out of a tree, and more things I can recall including bad dog work. I'm now 79 years old still hunting and hope to be able for a few more years.

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 02-21-2019 06:13 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Well I have had bad hunts like everyone as far as dogs having an off night but last August I lost a HOUND who had passed away while treeing then in December my 10 year old son walked in to his 13 month old English pup who was dead in a snare so I haven't had a good 2018

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 02-21-2019 07:36 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote