UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > number of dogs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Phantom
Banned

number of dogs

how many dogs do you guys recommend at the minuim to bear hunt with?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-06-2010 10:02 PM
Phantom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phantom Click here to Send Phantom a Private Message Find more posts by Phantom Add Phantom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckNAze
UKC Forum Member

Can do it with 1. I feel comfortable with 3, 4 is even better. I have 7 dogs now but have only been hunting 5 because 2 are too small and young. All depends if you have a good solid dog then one is enough if they are a real bear dog. I think you will find 3 is a good number though so you dont have to worry about them being alone on a mean one.

Old Post 11-06-2010 10:26 PM
BuckNAze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckNAze Click here to Send BuckNAze a Private Message Click Here to Email BuckNAze Visit BuckNAze's homepage! Find more posts by BuckNAze Add BuckNAze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RunninBear(Ike)
UKC Forum Member

I agree, treed a number of bears with only one hound but never did like to send less than three. Three or four hounds will put up about anything that's gonna climb but six or seven will usually do it faster...........

ike

Old Post 11-07-2010 03:56 AM
RunninBear(Ike) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RunninBear(Ike) Click here to Send RunninBear(Ike) a Private Message Click Here to Email RunninBear(Ike) Visit RunninBear(Ike)'s homepage! Find more posts by RunninBear(Ike) Add RunninBear(Ike) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
komatsuvarna
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RunninBear(Ike)
I agree, treed a number of bears with only one hound but never did like to send less than three. Three or four hounds will put up about anything that's gonna climb but six or seven will usually do it faster...........

ike

LOL, Thats the way I like to do it. Send the whole pack!!

Old Post 11-07-2010 12:58 PM
komatsuvarna is offline Click Here to See the Profile for komatsuvarna Click here to Send komatsuvarna a Private Message Find more posts by komatsuvarna Add komatsuvarna to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jeremiah009
UKC Forum Member

i use 3

Old Post 11-07-2010 01:20 PM
jeremiah009 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jeremiah009 Click here to Send jeremiah009 a Private Message Click Here to Email jeremiah009 Find more posts by jeremiah009 Add jeremiah009 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RunninBear(Ike)
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by komatsuvarna
LOL, Thats the way I like to do it. Send the whole pack!!

I'm hunting six right now but if I have my son's two pups then eight go, no reason to leave any in the box unless a guy is lion hunting and saving a few dogs out for a brute track. I've done that a number of times, send three or four after a female lion for exercise and keep cutting for a tom with a couple hold outs. Only problem with that is if you find that track and half to go to a couple rough trees it can be hard on a guy.............

Old Post 11-07-2010 02:02 PM
RunninBear(Ike) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RunninBear(Ike) Click here to Send RunninBear(Ike) a Private Message Click Here to Email RunninBear(Ike) Visit RunninBear(Ike)'s homepage! Find more posts by RunninBear(Ike) Add RunninBear(Ike) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonet plotts
New UKC Forum Member

I agree

1 is all it takes but 3 to 6 will give you much more noise coming into a tree when a bear may want to slide out or a walking bear that you are trying to sneak in and kill.NEVER more than six!More than six will just get a dog killed or hurt.

Old Post 11-09-2010 06:57 PM
jonet plotts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonet plotts Click here to Send jonet plotts a Private Message Click Here to Email jonet plotts Visit jonet plotts's homepage! Find more posts by jonet plotts Add jonet plotts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckNAze
UKC Forum Member

I agree totally. I have one dog, and several others that can do it by themselves. But as most of you know a mean one if it doesnt want to wont tree for one dog, and sometimes a whole pack. Sometimes these bears that have been ran so much that they are almost immune to going up a tree need to be taken out of the game, meaning harvested. If you are in an area with not many bears I can see why you wouldnt want to harvest this bear because it may be the only one you run all the time. But if you have an abundant amount of bears maybe take this one and next year you might not have as many vet bills. Bear hunting is fun but it is hard on the dogs. I dont like my dogs getting torn up personally. Some might think it means they have the grittiest dogs out there, thats fine but you can spend all your money on vet bills and Ill spend mine hunting. Mine have got plenty of scars from getting swatted, hit, whatever, but when it comes down to it Im not a rich man and if it takes 6 dogs to get it done, then fine. Like I said most can be done with just 1 dog. Its those mean ones you want more then one on to help get in and out with and save yourself vet bills or possibly losing a dog.

Old Post 11-09-2010 07:12 PM
BuckNAze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckNAze Click here to Send BuckNAze a Private Message Click Here to Email BuckNAze Visit BuckNAze's homepage! Find more posts by BuckNAze Add BuckNAze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phantom
Banned

Thanks for the answers guys.I've been thinking/looking of getting into bear hunting for awhile and wasn't sure of how many more dogs I would need.Before you ask I have zero bear dogs just have 3 coonhounds that I hunt coon with.Just was wondering how many bear dogs I would need to get to start with.Thanks again.

Old Post 11-10-2010 10:25 PM
Phantom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phantom Click here to Send Phantom a Private Message Find more posts by Phantom Add Phantom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckNAze
UKC Forum Member

You can definetly use your coondawgs for bear hunting. Whether or not you want an unwanted bear race while coon hunting I dont know? Ive been coon hunting (we have a smal population and sometimes do it for the younger dogs or in the off season) and treed a bear, luckily it was in November and they were starting to hybernate and it treed relatively quickly. Im sure your coondawgs could turn into great bear dogs. Just depends if you want to use them for multi-purpose dogs. My dogs better be able to run anything, Lion, Tigers, and Bears OH MY! But on a serious note they better be able to run Lions, Bears, Bobcats, and coons or they probably wont stay. I think you got all the right tools just need to put them on some bears and see what happens. Good luck!

Old Post 11-10-2010 10:51 PM
Walker9615
UKC Forum Member

I keep five dogs an got one dog that's treed around 20 this year by herself, but I prefer to turn out 3 or 4. Got 3 dogs that if he'll climb they'll put him in a tree. Sometimes they won't no matter how many u put on him.

Old Post 11-11-2010 02:19 AM
Walker9615 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Walker9615 Click here to Send Walker9615 a Private Message Click Here to Email Walker9615 Find more posts by Walker9615 Add Walker9615 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote