UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tighten dog up on tree??
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

richard

I'm one of the old guys to and I'm not blaming anyone I just think that's a rule with a lot of gray area. your also right about fixing the problem but most of the handlers I've hunted with will tell the judge at the beginning of the hunt my dog might meet me off the tree but will go back.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-21-2018 10:18 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

UKC rules leave a lot of room for common sense or personal opinion to come into play. They leave a lot of room for judgement calls. Most people call them "grey areas". But the whole cast gets to give their opinion and vote. It isn't a perfect system but it works in the majority of circumstances. The rules give us a framework but they also give us a lot of leeway or "grey areas". Do you really want UKC, our governing body, to tell us every little move that we should make? Or do you think that "the government" should give us a little credit for knowing what we are doing? Of course, there are a few that will try to take advantage of any laws or rules but do we really need more rules/laws for everybody just because of those few? Or should we each just step up, do the right thing and police ourselves. Should everyone have to give up their AR just because one or two idiots used theirs in a shooting?

Old Post 03-21-2018 10:39 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Step up and do the right thing is always the best thing and I believe you would fact is you have in a cast I was in.If I remember right you use to hunt a walker dog named dude?

Old Post 03-21-2018 10:49 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Baldwin
My dogs have met me off the tree like that many times and I have never been minused for it. Just tell the folks before yall go to the woods.

Not many have been but when I was in my teens they did it to me. He wasnt even meeting me, just turned and looked at us coming. Never got a foot from the tree or dropped his head. This is the thing, guys that will do that are just cheaters and they are going to cheat no matter how clear or grey the rule is. I've never had it happen again. The problem is a lot of guys 10ft turns out to be everyone else 40 yards.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 03-21-2018 10:59 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Re: No

quote:
Originally posted by blue blue
To your first two questions. I’m wrong more than I’m right but I don’t think canopy and umbrella are in ukc rules. The big question I see in dog meeting you off tree is how far. Judgement call and we all know how those can go. I think most know when their dog is trying to trail off a tree if they will be honest. I may be wrong again but I think ukc said it didn’t matter where a dog had it’s nose going back to tree.

Exactly , and it also depends on terrain if one is hunting thick stuff they usually don't come far off the tree to greet , if in pecan groves they will come greet you a little farther. Not in every case but in many, dogs that tree too tight leads to dog fights not all the time but more than most will admit. Same thing as getting bit when having to wrestle a coon away from a dog, dead coon means dead coon. Simple commands used consistently.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 03-22-2018 09:57 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote