UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dew claws
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Dew claws

Would there be any reason NOT to have puppies' front legs dew claws removed?
Can you still show them on the bench, would it count against them?
Would hunters rather have them on?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-23-2018 09:34 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedSealKennels
UKC Forum Member

I don't really see any reason to have them removed. I've had alot of dogs, all had their due claws and never had any problems come from that.

Old Post 03-24-2018 12:24 AM
RedSealKennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedSealKennels Click here to Send RedSealKennels a Private Message Click Here to Email RedSealKennels Find more posts by RedSealKennels Add RedSealKennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

IF we have another litter, I was going to have them removed because I think they're a pain to trim.

Old Post 03-24-2018 12:32 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack haughton
UKC Forum Member

Dew Claws

On checking the U.K.C rule book hounds should not have rear dew claws for showing,m should be removed as a young pup.They useless(no connection to muscle or bone in the leg) and and have the potential to get cut or ripped off.

HOME OF THE BLU MARU BLUETICKS.GR CH Haughtons Genesse Maru.FCH CH Haughtons Jorja .Blu.CH.Ruby Maru.and Blu Poppyhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/genessemaru/101010_ThanksgivingPuppies2010_1163.jpg

Old Post 03-24-2018 01:03 AM
jack haughton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack haughton Click here to Send jack haughton a Private Message Find more posts by jack haughton Add jack haughton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

If you hunt in deep crusty snow or a lot of blow downs they will get sore.

Old Post 03-24-2018 01:58 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dew Claws

quote:
Originally posted by jack haughton
On checking the U.K.C rule book hounds should not have rear dew claws for showing,m should be removed as a young pup.They useless(no connection to muscle or bone in the leg) and and have the potential to get cut or ripped off.

I've read that, but it didn't say anything about front ones.

Last edited by Rex Ridge on 03-24-2018 at 09:47 PM

Old Post 03-24-2018 09:45 PM
x145merlin
UKC Forum Member

Do the dew claws aid a dog trying to climb a tree?

Old Post 03-25-2018 04:47 PM
x145merlin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for x145merlin Click here to Send x145merlin a Private Message Click Here to Email x145merlin Find more posts by x145merlin Add x145merlin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote