UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Who Wants Change
Left alone or change
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Left alone 82 60.74%
Change 53 39.26%
Total: 135 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

What if a certain number of dogs had to compete at a hunt before a "win" towards a title could be achieved? I believe it could possibly bring hunt numbers up. For example, there has to be 10 dogs in a hunt for a 1st place to be awarded towards a title. Has to be 18 dogs in that hunt for a 2nd to be awarded etc. Any set number could be used or maybe do it on a percentage, award places to ??% of the number of dogs entered. If you are going with 10% and have 20 dogs in the hunt then 1st and 2nd would be awarded. Could this possibly bring more dogs to each club if the neighboring clubs worked together, promoted each other and didn't schedule hunts on same nights? If a certain amount has to be at a hunt to achieve your goal, will guys get together and start piling into clubs? Clubs would make more money. I know attendance is not a problem in a lot of places but here locally a dog could be titled and not have competed against more than a handful of dogs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-25-2018 03:31 PM
Fire Archer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fire Archer Click here to Send Fire Archer a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Archer Add Fire Archer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

They would either get together and start piling in or they would just stay home because why go if you didn't think 10 dogs would be there. It doesn't matter how many dogs are at a hunt. You can only beat the other 3 dogs you draw out with. If you do that with plus points then you get a win whether there are 4 or 12 dogs there.

Old Post 03-25-2018 04:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
They would either get together and start piling in or they would just stay home because why go if you didn't think 10 dogs would be there. It doesn't matter how many dogs are at a hunt. You can only beat the other 3 dogs you draw out with. If you do that with plus points then you get a win whether there are 4 or 12 dogs there.

I understand that but should it be like that? Because a dog is better than the other 4 or 5 dogs he has competed against all summer, he is given a title of Grand Champion. That is about what happens in my area When I was a kid and first got into coonhunting, I thought a Grand Nite Champion was the best of the best and some of them are dang good hounds I'm sure. But when I got older, I went to a couple hunts and realized that a bunch of them high powered hounds just had a good handler willing to bend the rules and wasn't any better than what's in my kennel. Or they hauled the dog to hunts for 4 years, lucked up and got a title. IMO a dog should have to.beat a significant number of dogs to earn such a title as Grand Champion.

Old Post 03-25-2018 10:54 PM
Fire Archer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fire Archer Click here to Send Fire Archer a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Archer Add Fire Archer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote