UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How much does a hound remember?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

How much does a hound remember?

Many of us cast our hounds in numerous places to hunt. Do you think they remember the places they've been hunted in and where to go to look for game in those places?

What are the things you've seen that indicate your hounds know where to go other than just the scent of the game there after? Especially in unfamiliar territory.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-06-2019 02:15 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I sure do. What I have seen is a dog hunted in the same area but not turned loose from the same spot. Know the best spot in the area to find a coon and know how to get there.

These dogs learn the woods better than we do and a lot faster.

I have seen pups worked on cage coon. Remember the spot the coon was kept in and check that spot every time they were loose to play. Long after the coon is gone.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 10-06-2019 at 02:28 PM

Old Post 10-06-2019 02:26 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I got a little squirrel dog, several places I take him have wire fences though out the woods and places he can get through easy. And he remembers them all from year to year. He see me cross and bam he hauls to his crossing doesn't matter how far away his crossing is. I know a little off topic but it's a pleasure to watch

Old Post 10-06-2019 02:46 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Gillespie
UKC Forum Member

They sure do! I got a lil gyp that we take to a spot when we need to get one up quick she always knows were to go and gets there quick usually shuts them out on this drop.

Lay-Up Kennels !!!!!!
Jason Gillespie
Marion , Indiana
(765)517-1591

*PAST AND PRESENT HOUNDS*

Ch NiteCh Gillespie's Lay-Up Lizzy R.I.P (Best reproducing female I have had in my Kennel) Produced 2 World Champions Hardwood Minnie & Spring Creek Pen-e-trator (Wave).

NSD World NiteCh NSD GrniteCh Ohio State CH UKC Grnitech PR'Gillespie's Hardwood Minnie (Lucky X's Lizzy)$KC ($114)
-2015 Mini Slam Final 4
-2016 Mini Slam Final 4
-2017 Mini Slam Final 4 (Grand Masters Qualified)Semi-Finalist
-2018 Mini Slam Final 4 (Grand Masters Qualified)
AO Slam Event Triple cast winner.2016
AO Night Hunt cast winner 2016.
2016 NSD Ohio State Champion.
2016 NSD Indiana State Ch 3rd place.
NSD GrniteCh
2016 Grand Masters Semi Finalist.

NSD World Nitech NSD Grnitech Ind State Ch UKC Grnitech Lay-Up's Spring Creek PEN-E-TRATOR A.K.A (WAVE) ( Grandson to SC Rock! Shows Rock 4xs in a 5 gen) ONLY LIVING GRNITECH GRANDSON TO SPRING CREEK ROCK ALIVE !!!!!!!!!!
2017 AO 9th Place Reg.
2017 NSD Indiana State NiteCh
2018 TW days 9th Place Reg.
2018 NSD World NiteCh
UKC Grnitech
NSD Grnitech
2019 AO Grand 16.

PR'Gillespie's Hardwood Ugg
PR'Gillespie's Hardwood Roxy
PR' Spring Creek Troopie

"Hunt them alone , if you want to take a Coondawg Home"

*Semen Stored @ Shultz Clinic in Michigan*
PRESERVATION FOR GENERATIONS !!!!

(RIP) Grnitech GrCh Hillbilly's Smoken Ringo Star HTX (Stud Fee $500)

Grnitech Taylors Lucky (Son of Henry Not for sale)

Grnitech Hardwood Patch (Not for Sale)

NSD WLDNITECH GRNITECH UKC GRNITECH PR' Lay-Ups Spring Creek PEN-E-TRATOR DNA-P ( Direct Grandson of SPRING CREEK ROCK!!!!)

PR'Gillespie's Lay-Up Lil Lucky (RIP)

Grnitech Stone Mountain Bronco

NiteCh PR'Hardwood Blackjack (Patch Son)

Old Post 10-06-2019 03:16 PM
Jason Gillespie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Gillespie Click here to Send Jason Gillespie a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Gillespie Find more posts by Jason Gillespie Add Jason Gillespie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Coons remember where the feeder buckets are and so do the dogs!

Old Post 10-06-2019 05:51 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Sometimes I don’t think mine can remember our training from the night before much less the woods he was in..... 😂

Old Post 10-06-2019 06:19 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Yes in my experience the dogs do learn after a few times cut loose in the same spot where to go to get struck. But also why does it seem some dogs just know where to go no matter where they're cut loose compared to others? I call this coon sense not sure what other guys call it.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-06-2019 08:35 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

X2 on coon sense

Old Post 10-06-2019 08:46 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hounds remembering

It all depends on how smart the dog is, just like people some are smarter than others. The really smart dogs have really good recall. Once they learn something it sticks with them, while others seem to forget real quick. Notice how many folks that have had an exceptional dog say brains is the key. Nothing replaces brains when it comes to ability in dogs or humans. Dave

Old Post 10-07-2019 02:14 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Dave Richards You are so very right. Many Years ago I had an exceptionally smart, coon treeing hound.

I took this dog to our local club for a Field trial type event. Showed him the coon in the cage, the kids dragged the coon up the hollow, crossed the other side, went down the hollow and came out in a small bottom just below the coon club and put the coon up the tree. We cut them loose and my pride winning coon hound went right up the hollow with the rest of the pack, and ended up with 2nd line and 2nd tree.

30 days later I brought him back to the very same club, entered him in the same event, showed him the coon, and drug the coon away, and brought the track right back to that same tree, we had used the month before. The difference was that when I cut him loose, all the other dogs went north, following the scent that had been laid, My dog went immediately south, and ran as fast as he could straight back to the tree we had put the coon up the month before. Guess what, That rascal had first line and first tree, before the other dogs had even gotten the track up to where it first crossed the hollow. So yes I would say he remembered that drill and he passed in flying colors LOL.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 10-07-2019 03:25 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

I just lost a 13 1/2 year old dog that seemed to remember every tree he'd ever found a coon in. He wasn't a great coon dog--some spots we'd been to a lot he'd check half a dozen trees he'd known to have coons in them before he'd bother to put his nose to the ground and work to trail one that had been by recently.
The hound I am hunting now has coon sense. You drop him someplace new and he'll head for the river bottom or the corn field or some other likely spot. Sometimes I wish he didn't. Where I live, there's houses along the river bottom, but there's still plenty of coon on the feeder streams on the NYC watershed land running up the mountain behind my house. I'll turn him out after walking uphill on public land, and he'll run back down where the houses are unless he crosses a fresh coon track on the way.

Old Post 10-07-2019 03:29 AM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Dogs remember if you are good to,them or not they don’t forget you they recognize you by scent if they forget your face. Sold one years ago and bought him back he remembered which stall in the kennel was his and where I kept the doggie treats in the feed building. And he was a coon dog bar none.

Old Post 10-07-2019 03:33 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

My pups remember where they can cross through a hog wire fence after their first trip even at just a few weeks old. The older dogs know where they need to go to most likely strike a coon after hunting a spot one time. Usually the way you don't want them to go lol. Coon sense in unfamiliar places - I've wondered if smart dogs associate the smell water even small bodies of it from far distances and maybe even other food sources from long distances as places they will be more likely to strike a coon track. I also wonder if this instinct and ability is why dogs that have maybe not had to fully develope it coming from higher coon populations struggle when first hunted in larger timber without something to guide them aka a fence row, cornfield edge small patch ect. In these and some other parts dogs have to know how to go find a coon being hunted in sections of usually at least 1 mile x 1 mile of nothing but woods. I'm not suggesting that all dogs from these areas are all great at this "coon sense" or all those hunted in higher population of coons all struggle. I will say that the transition is not always easy but the one adapts easier per the terrain vs the other and it could be the learning factor of from a young age of having to know how to go find a coon for reward. Just like a dog never hunted on crops takes time to learn how to get one out or hunt the edges or a dog never hunted on water may have difficulty working it, dogs with this "sense" adapt rather quickly.
Dogs memory - at 2 years old Dalton was attacked by a momma dog. Because she was running on instinct of protecting her pups from a toddler and had never been aggressive before, even towards the kids, we gave her and her pups away so she could raise them (today I would probably make a different decision). Years later, while at a local trade day a female dog started barking and lunging at Dalton as we walked by. He remembered her and she definitely remembered him, it was Dawn the female that left him with scars from stitches on both his legs. Cowboy boots had protected him from everything but puncture wounds. The owner had never before seen her act that way to anyone, man or child. If she had been close enough she would have got him again. Dogs are much smarter than most give them credit for.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-07-2019 05:33 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I would agree with the majority of the replies. A hound that has a ton on of hunt and desire to go along with the intelligence can at times almost seem to create the game it's after when the average hound is cast and comes up with nothing. This type of hound, in my book, is not the average from my experience. This talent coupled with all the other necessary tools to make a good coon hound can become a once in a lifetime hound for many of us.

Old Post 10-07-2019 12:02 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I had a young male dog that was jumped on and ate up by 2 blueticks in his first hunt. He always hated blueticks from then on. He didn't have any problem with other breeds but would fight with a bluetick at the first sign of aggresion.

Old Post 10-07-2019 03:32 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbpro56
UKC Forum Member

I laid a track for a young dog in a dog park! It was about 10 degrees outside, and I knew no one else would be out there.
He tracked it to one of the big trees inside of the park, and blew it down. Exactly what you want them to do. Over a year later, I took him back down there just to get him out of the house, after a half hour or so of smelling everything inside that place, he made his way back over to that tree, and rolled up treed, like he saw it climb!

Bruce Profitt

Old Post 10-07-2019 04:50 PM
dbpro56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbpro56 Click here to Send dbpro56 a Private Message Click Here to Email dbpro56 Find more posts by dbpro56 Add dbpro56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

It's Unbelievable !!!

This is one of the most important ?'s that I have ever seen asked because memory is equal to intelligence when it comes to Dogs.

When it comes to Coon Hounds Memory, It's literally like living in the Twilight Zone !!!!!!!!!!!!!
This IS what I discovered, this is what I share with my Fellow Houndsman, All lines of Coonhound Have More mental Memory than all other breeds of Dog I have ever trained!!!

Our Hounds are so smart and have so much Memory they have fooled the world, for real, for real!!!

We hear it every night, men will say "I think that Hounds too smart for his own good" / "He's too smart for the Handler" / "She knows How to get out of doing whatever she doesn't want to do".

most every Coon hunter has said some form of these words himself, for years now and these statements refer to Mental Memory!

The Bullheaded ness that Coonhounds posses is Mental memory! All other breeds must be trained by repetition over an over and Over, setting commands into Muscle Memory. However, as soon as we train through their stubbornness, Taping into their want to please, A whole nother Dog training world shows itself, Called SPEED TRAINING !!!

I combine all forms of k-9 memory together. Want Marrying, Muscle memory, Mental Memory to achieve the fastest results possible in all Dog training.

Coonhounds Have by Far More Mental Memory than nearly all other breeds of Dog alive today!

Most all breeds take 2 weeks to learn my obedience foundation. Sit, Lay, Sit Up, Stand Up, Stay, Come, Come Stop, Right side, Left Side, Heal (on and off lead), Load and unload and they will perform them with a verbal command or a hand signal.

Yet I can train the average Coon Hound to perform these exact same things only Better in a matter of an hour or two in most cases! This is tremendous Mental Memory because I do not have to do countless repetitions !!!
Only Coonhounds Hold the Speed Training records here!
I have Trained Many Coon Hounds of all breeds my entire obedience foundation in under 30 minutes. This would be impossible without High-level Mental Memory and what I do would be Impossible if Coonhounds wouldn't have taught me.

When it comes to breeding Coon hunters breed the best to the best because each breeder has to live with the result. Then we follow our offspring reports through nightly Tree Talk, creating a spiderweb connection of Breeding knowledge that does not exist anywhere else in the Dog world that I have found. The communication we share on the progress of our pups and breeding them has Pushed Coonhounds into another Level of Intelligence entirely.

When I broke through my Hounds bullheadedness with his Want to Please (not discipline), I entered the Twilight Zone of K-9 memory!!!

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Last edited by wildwilly0161 on 10-08-2019 at 07:34 PM

Old Post 10-08-2019 07:07 PM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote