UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Opinion On A Possum Dog No Joke
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Opinion On A Possum Dog No Joke

This is a question I'm not asking to create a big discussion on who's right or wrong with their answer so here we go.
My buddy has a dog that is 8+ years old and is mean as a hornet so we have been hunting him alone for the past say 5 + yr. In the past he has been a every breath stay put tree dog that will go hunting and in the past has been as accurate as most dogs around not many misses this I think U needed to know. NOW THIS IS THE QUESTION for the past year he has gone stone cold crazzzzzzy over possums I mean no coons just possumd every turn out. I know yawl think this is a loaded question BUT IS NOT this dog has gone crazy over them things every turn out. WHY is the question.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-2018 01:30 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Why don't you just ask him? I would say that he is getting old and lazy like me and possums are a lot easier to tree. Just knock every one out to him and pretty soon he won't have any to tree. Since you are just hunting him by himself and can't put him in a hunt, what difference does it make what he trees?

Old Post 02-20-2018 01:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Opinion On A Possum Dog No Joke

quote:
Originally posted by H. L. Meyer
This is a question I'm not asking to create a big discussion on who's right or wrong with their answer so here we go.
My buddy has a dog that is 8+ years old and is mean as a hornet so we have been hunting him alone for the past say 5 + yr. In the past he has been a every breath stay put tree dog that will go hunting and in the past has been as accurate as most dogs around not many misses this I think U needed to know. NOW THIS IS THE QUESTION for the past year he has gone stone cold crazzzzzzy over possums I mean no coons just possumd every turn out. I know yawl think this is a loaded question BUT IS NOT this dog has gone crazy over them things every turn out. WHY is the question.

they are easy prey for him .i have saw the same thing with black dogs and blue dogs with dillers .their eyes bug out and they go on a killing frenzy .lol i had a walker that would get skunks . no amount of whipping and shocking cured him .all his life he would kill them and carry them to ya .lol

Old Post 02-20-2018 01:50 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

SEE RICHARD

First part......I have talked to him and he just gave me the FINGER.
2 part ........Dont matter to me if he trees a A ELEPHANT Not MY DOG
3 part ........Don't have enough ammo or time. GOT PLENTY OF THEM AROUND HERE
I only asked WHY so it is evident you don't have a answer just comments.
OPS you did answer sorry lazy and easier to tree. MAYBE the answer.
Out late last night hunting and did not comprehend all your of your post. SORRY
And I was not in water up to my chest last night getting to him like my buddy. You know sorta like the man getting snake bit and his buddy asked aint U gona suck the poison out and he answered look like u gona dye told my buddy last night looks like U gona ger WET.

Last edited by H. L. Meyer on 02-20-2018 at 02:00 PM

Old Post 02-20-2018 01:54 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

does this mean the age old theory, once he starts on coon he will quit all that trash nonsense theory is a bust? lol

Old Post 02-20-2018 02:05 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

i got a old female a year (9/10 when i got her) or so back that used to be (according to previous owners i talked to) accurate on coons. she was never an outstanding dog, but would tree a fair amount of coons. i got her, basically ended up with her because she was a rack of ribs and i felt sorry for her... once i got her weight up- i hunted her and she treed nothing but possums. dont know why, i thought she must have been that way her whole life until i talked to her previous owners on her papers... supposed to be reputable guys and know what a good dog is... best explanation i heard was "age must have got the best of her"

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 02-20-2018 02:26 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

H.L, I have a female that I raised, she is 10 now but at about 8 she just started biting at the tree. I reached for her and she stopped barking and looked at me strange. Then she just reached out and put her mouth on me. The next tree she bit the crap out of me. They do strange things sometimes when they get older.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-20-2018 02:44 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

Had a friend that had a 10 yr. Gr. Nt blue female that never ran a deer in her life, dropped tailgate one night and she struck and ran a deer all night long.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 02-20-2018 02:52 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Dogs sometimes suffer from dementia. They can do some weird things.

Old Post 02-20-2018 03:10 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I told you that I was just like that old dog. Somewhere in my rambling there is an answer.

Old Post 02-20-2018 03:16 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

Uhh what was the question again , oh now I remember yes my opinion doesn't matter I hate mean dogs anyhow.

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 02-20-2018 05:31 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Would he get rid of him? I would like to have a good possum dog to take my kids out with.

Old Post 02-20-2018 06:44 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
Would he get rid of him? I would like to have a good possum dog to take my kids out with.
Ive noticed a lot of hounds about that age start going senile like you describe. I had a female I hunted for several years, when she turned eight she was always in a hole, she would seek out holes to get in. Ive seen several dogs that just lost it and never did get it back.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 02-20-2018 07:16 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

high ridge

Don't much think so BUT I garontee you he would make U like him if that is what U really wont he can do it RIGHT and looks good doing it also. LIKES people but is Ill as a hornet at the tree.

Old Post 02-20-2018 08:04 PM
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

Has he tried to correct him?

My answer/guess would be, possums are easier to find and easier for him to tree.

If he never tried to stop him from treeing them, that's why he went crazy over them. Possum is much easier for him to tree and the lack of negative reenforcement gave him the go ahead to do what is less work and he still gets to tree.

Age isn't necessarily the problem, if he started messing with possums when he was three and wasn't corrected he might have went nuts then.

I'm no expert, so I don't know if that's the right answer, but it is my guess.

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 02-21-2018 02:39 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenneth Tavares
Banned

He would be great to help break your other dogs off possums if he is mean enough. 😂😂😂

Sorry, I couldn’t stop myself from posting that. 🙂

1/24/02---5/21/12
Manning, South Carolina
Ph. 803-840-2013
If you text this number you won’t get a response unless you include your name.

💰💰Click blue link to check us out on Facebook💰💰
👉🏼 Tavares' First Class Black & Tans 👈🏼

Tone it down guys, or they will delete another good topic...

Old Post 02-21-2018 05:04 AM
Kenneth Tavares is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenneth Tavares Click here to Send Kenneth Tavares a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenneth Tavares Find more posts by Kenneth Tavares Add Kenneth Tavares to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Possums

It could be worse.

Some dogs don't have anything at all when they tree!!!

Old Post 02-23-2018 12:53 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

There U go

A silver lining in every cloud if smart enough to see it.

Old Post 02-23-2018 12:09 PM
georgef072007
Banned

He's a dog, lol. That's what my Daddy use to say when they did something they weren't supposed to do. I had one that started treeing flying squirrels, thought he was treeing slick till I walked in with the light off and saw the squirrel bail out when I turned it on. Why did he do that???? Beats me, he's just a dog.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

CH GRNTCH 'PR' WRECK IT RALPH (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2017 UKC World Finalist. 2018 UKC World Hunt Qualified.

CH GRNTCH 'PR' CATS TRASHY TOMCAT (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2016 , 2017 & 2018 UKC World hunt qualified

'PR' Blue Eyed Pete (Watsons Jackal X Hello Kitty)

'PR' Wipeout Harley (Joinertown Wipeout Zeb 3 X Dark Mtn Crankin Holly)

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

NTCH WCH 'PR' DEAD CATS ECHO

Old Post 02-23-2018 12:46 PM
georgef072007 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for georgef072007 Click here to Send georgef072007 a Private Message Find more posts by georgef072007 Add georgef072007 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
georgef072007
Banned

On the bright side

You'll never go hungry if you have a meat dog, lol.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

CH GRNTCH 'PR' WRECK IT RALPH (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2017 UKC World Finalist. 2018 UKC World Hunt Qualified.

CH GRNTCH 'PR' CATS TRASHY TOMCAT (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2016 , 2017 & 2018 UKC World hunt qualified

'PR' Blue Eyed Pete (Watsons Jackal X Hello Kitty)

'PR' Wipeout Harley (Joinertown Wipeout Zeb 3 X Dark Mtn Crankin Holly)

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

NTCH WCH 'PR' DEAD CATS ECHO

Old Post 02-23-2018 12:52 PM
georgef072007 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for georgef072007 Click here to Send georgef072007 a Private Message Find more posts by georgef072007 Add georgef072007 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

H.L.

What are your thoughts on the/your question?

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 02-24-2018 12:09 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote