UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > To train a hound ??
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Here , here now eeeeeeeeeedward old chap do tell us my man some of the proper aspects of training the modern day coon hound till then !!!!

Cheerio ole chap.

Taratio

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-2018 06:51 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Still no reply on recommended methods of his 40yrs of experience.

Cons of letting them run loose... the danger aspect over the years a few have got hit by cars or flat out dissappeared but the benefits out weigh the risk. Everytime a dog is hunted it is put at risk with no guarantee of getting it back so if you worry to much about the risk raise a house dog or keep them in the pen to look at lol. If not done right what can happen... when they start treeing consistently it's time to pen them up so you don't have them getting treed then leaving trees.
The social aspect... you can't just turn them out and forget them pups need social human interaction on the daily. You don't want a pup that is hard to catch and doesn't know that the human is in charge.
Coon pens... if you go this route it should be limited, to many hot tracks with no need to learn to run a track, most need no help with the tree part already. To much of a coon pen = lazy dog that likes to tree but expects all tracks to come easy with no need to go find one or work out a difficult track. Coon pens work best for getting a dog to tree and easy exposure to coons, they have their purpose but as stated limited or controlled. Pups need to learn how to run a track, pick up a lose and go find a track, running loose does this.
Running trash... most of us who mentioned this have already stated most break themselves with age and coon and is very seldom a long term problem. A trashy 7-8 mo old pup with plenty of fire is most coonhunters dream to start, you can take what you need out but can't put it in.

BINGO!!! No coon pen for me I don't even want my young pups treeing I want them running, I know they will tree because there's so much tree power bred in them they just can't help there selves, but it's the ones that run that junk from 5-10 months old with out treeing that make what I'm looking for in a dog. I want dogs that can flat burn a coon track like most run junk. That beating around a boo hooing makes me want to pull my hair out

Old Post 02-20-2018 09:16 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Ole Hoss, If you got Rat dogs you want them running and not treeing, If you got Wipeout dogs you want them treeing and not running, a buddy of mine left some well bred Wipeout pups run loose on a farm till they were about 8 months old and were so goofy he had a hell of a time with them trying to get them to tree, then he gave me a call to help......

Old Post 02-20-2018 09:49 PM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: To train a hound ??

quote:
Originally posted by Night cry
Opinions of best way to get a hound going good ?

A. put him in the woods by himself and let him figure it out ?

B. hunt him with older finished hounds ?

C.drive around find a coon crossing road dump him on a hot track ?

D. hunt him in woods with coon feeders?

i have used A B D . with B i like to do it by road hunting or turning down creeks and log roads . i dont ever take a pup to the woods with another hound unless i think it is big enough to run for the lead . if it is lagging behind its to early and needs solo trips alone . most of the ones i train never even see the woods at night till they are 8 months to a year old. i use method A on the ones that are so naturally independent they will not honor or pay attention to another hound . everyone says they have them like that but i have only seen 2 in my lifetime. i consider that trait a fault much like a good bird hunter would lol dont get me wrong i like one that thinks for its self but will work with a hound close by if it doent have anything going on . just blowing out to be
alone may win hunts but its more of a pain to hunt than pleasure in my book . plus they pass to many coon up to suit
me. why walk a mile when you can walk 300 yards. in these hills its not hunting its watching them on a screen till they tree and you dont even hear them most of the time.

Old Post 02-20-2018 11:33 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy
Ole Hoss, If you got Rat dogs you want them running and not treeing, If you got Wipeout dogs you want them treeing and not running, a buddy of mine left some well bred Wipeout pups run loose on a farm till they were about 8 months old and were so goofy he had a hell of a time with them trying to get them to tree, then he gave me a call to help......

Well there's your problem right there.... WIPEOUT dogs😂😂 I can say we turn about 6 out on the farm when they were 4 months old. 2 weeks later I found mine in another county. But even he learn to tree so did the other 3 though one was 14-15 months old before he cocked his head for the first time. I'll always let mine run loose I've had great success doing that. If it doesn't work for you then layem some drags or what ever it is you like to do.

Old Post 02-21-2018 07:41 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

If you turned 6 out and they did good, you should turn 12 out the next time and they should do twice as good, even a coonhunter can figure this out. What do you do turn them loose and then go to bed? Man you got to be asleep and dreaming to believe that's a good way to get a pup started.....

Old Post 02-21-2018 11:10 AM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Younger Days Eastern NC

When I was younger we would load up the boat and head to the river and ride the banks and shine till we seen ole bandit feeding on the bank. Ease up on him with the hounds on leads in front of the boat. Hit the sand bar and loose them...you talking about getting a young pup going. A coastal coon don't get too big but they can flat go...We would hunt the intercoastal waterway islands too...lots of fun...

Old Post 02-21-2018 01:07 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If you turned 6 out and they did good, you should turn 12 out the next time and they should do twice as good, even a coonhunter can figure this out. What do you do turn them loose and then go to bed? Man you got to be asleep and dreaming to believe that's a good way to get a pup started.....

Pretty much yes. Turn them loose as puppies 2-3 months old..when you come in from hunting you will hear them if there any count..some be running might be one treed. We go get him if he's treed. Like I said it's worked great for me and I won't mess with one that hasn't ran loose. When I haul one to the woods I expect it to go hunting.

Old Post 02-21-2018 08:02 PM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Pretty much yes. Turn them loose as puppies 2-3 months old..when you come in from hunting you will hear them if there any count..some be running might be one treed. We go get him if he's treed. Like I said it's worked great for me and I won't mess with one that hasn't ran loose. When I haul one to the woods I expect it to go hunting.

Old Post 02-21-2018 08:02 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

back before we had all this tree power breed into them we would start them by what we called running them out. we would dump them on deer every day for a while and keep them wore down . when they didnt know witch sore foot they wanted to carry for a week or to we would take them at night with the old seasoned hound and start knocking coon down on them .we called this phase of the training breaking them over .man those dogs back them had a ton of heart . fur would be scraped of their heads from the brush chest and under belly all scratched up from briers.we dumped them in pairs to test how competitive they were .if they didnt run all day and them some they we considered culls not worth fooling with .if they come back quick they got a dirt nap.lol most all of them were open spotted with some ticks on them .then the banjo dog come along and folks put to much of his blood in them and watered them down . banjo was the start of what we called blank tree hound back then .most call them slick tree dogs now days.

Last edited by thomasg on 02-22-2018 at 02:15 AM

Old Post 02-22-2018 02:07 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Re: Younger Days Eastern NC

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
When I was younger we would load up the boat and head to the river and ride the banks and shine till we seen ole bandit feeding on the bank. Ease up on him with the hounds on leads in front of the boat. Hit the sand bar and loose them...you talking about getting a young pup going. A coastal coon don't get too big but they can flat go...We would hunt the intercoastal waterway islands too...lots of fun...

Roy how are you doing, how is your brother Tommy-Joe?

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-22-2018 03:05 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Cheyenne is working today so I will fill in. We have lived at our current location for over 17 yrs. For 17 yrs pups have ran loose here, some of our own many belonging to others, there are always 1-4 and always has been. On a conservative estimate that is over 250. Chey was starting pups and hunting young dogs long before we moved here. Currently we have 2 running loose (had one go home last week and another come in), 2 young dogs being hunted one is 8mo old the other 11mo both go hunting and can tree their own coon and a several little puppies that are in the big pup pen not quite old enough to run loose full time, it is like this all the time, a revolving door. He was working pups and young dogs long before we moved here. Dogs he has owned or started and sold or started for others have won everything from World Championships, to State titles and state races, winnings in the 100's of thousands. Pups belonging to some of the most well know comp hunters, stud dog owners and plenty of pleasure hunters too have sent their pups here. There are many out there that do not enjoy getting pups going and don't want them back until they are hunting and running and treeing. You spent several post criticising those who offered advice but yet never gave one suggestion to the man asking for advice.

Everyone has their own methods, ours just happen to start out running loose. Nearly every pup benefits from it. Pups learn to navigate the timber, work water, cross fences, ect., it also developes natural independence/indifference and they have the ability to develope more tracking ability. Most are running and treeing by 6-8 mo and will go hunting when taken not stand at your feet. We don't worry about off game because most do pretty much break themselves when coons start coming out. Shockers are never used on young pups, when they are treeing coons consistently then they are broke if needed. We also never pull cage coon up a tree. Because they are not just turned loose and forgot, most develope yard dog smarts by social interaction with the family from kids to now grandkids come when called and follow basic commands aiming to please. When they start running and treeing good running loose it's time to get penned up then the real fun begins.
I realise that many people do not have the opportunity to start pups the way we do so to the man asking his original question the most important thing you can do is get that pup out of the pen every chance you get. Whether it be to play in the yard, ride in the truck or walk in the woods. Start with the basics of obedience and set it up for success by exposure to the woods, be patient pups take time but if you are willing to put in the time and wear out some boots you could end up with something special. I know Cheyenne would be willing to answer any questions that you may have or if you need advice along the way call the number below.
Jen

Amen, No dog will ever learn anything in a pen Like my buddy Mike and I use to say you make a coon dog 1 tree at a time. Your dogs have to hunt for you not you hunting for your dogs. JMHO

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-22-2018 03:13 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Some good information here. Just like to throw my two cents in.
Probably the best method has been described here is having a place to let the young dog run loose. In my opinion the second best if your not lucky enough to have a large farm is a coon pen. I have some experience with a coon pen as I had access to a 20 acre pen for about one year. I can only say that the pen seemed magical to what it could do with pups. I would think the same thing could be said for them running loose on a farm. I would take from one to three or four pups at a time and let them run loose on that 20 acres. It had great coon habitat and several coon. Really what impressed me is not having the coon there. But the confidence the pups got being in a setting like that. We had gotten one young dog that would hunt with other dogs and he would run and tree. We put him in the pen a couple days and then took him out a few days and then put him back in. From that point on it was like he was in total control of the woods and didn't look for or wait on another dog again. Here is the thing. The pen was great, like I said almost magical. But what it could do for a pup was short lived and after a couple weeks of in and out of the pen a few times. The pen wasn't needed and actually to easy made thing to easy on the pup and it was time to move on into the wild. Over the year I staryed maybe three groups of pups and I wasn't taking any in for the public so the pen actually wasn't worth the work to keep the it up.

Let me address the specific question asked. Out of them 4 methods that were asked about any of them will work. Like mentioned. You as the trainer and hunter know which one might be easier for you to do. Then do it. You need to expose the young dog to coon but perhaps more importantly the woods. Like was mentioned her. Put time into the pup.

I think the key that I try to stress to people is not to over do any one method. Yes we all want to show a young do a coon and see how it responds. I don't seen anything wrong with trapping one and turning it loose for the pup to spark its interest. NEVER DO IT IN ACCESS. I say more than 3 times is to many. Just like that coon pen. You make it easy for the pup to stir its interest but you keep making it easy you allow them to develop other bad habits.

Right now I am working with 3 young dogs that have seen coon twice and the oldest once which was yesterday morning The oldest is 18 months old. His litter mates that were coon hunted started at 6 months old and do a very good job. The 18 month old one I kept out of the litter and decided to use it on deer. He trailed up and ran several deer for me during the season. Now I want to see what he thinks about a coon and if he has that desire to tree like his litter mates. I can stop the deer running.

Yesterday I turned one loose out of a trap for them. I went a shot distance and up a small pine tree. The did a good job trying to find it but none locked the tree down that it went up. I chopped the tree down and the race was on again. Again they ran it and worked hard trying to find it. They didn't lock that tree up either but they could wind the coon and thats how I found the tree he was in by where they were looking. The two younger ones have done this twice now and I won't be doing that again with them. The 18 month old because I had it strolling pretty good on deer, I want to make sure he knows I want him on coon so he may get another does of a caged coon.

What I have done now to change up for the pups is I have set up a feeder with a camera on it. When I get a text picture of a coon on the feeder, day or night. I can be there in 15 minutes to expose them to a hot track. Again two or three times and that will be over with. The beauty is I know where the coon or coming in and out of the swamp to get to the feeder. So after a time or two after hitting him hot on the feeder I can pull up there and make some noise and hopefully the coon will head back to the swamp and I can cast them away from the feeder, just like I would if I was hunting them. No matter what method I use and I use methods to make it easy on a pup at first. I do not over do it on any one particular method.
That is the message I want to send out to the young trainers. To much of a good thing is really not good in the long run.

https://youtu.be/3JHhjE6IWpU
You notice the pup right at the end decide to jump up for the coon. That is the bad habits you teach your pups using methods like this. Especially if the are done over and over again. I stopped filming and started correcting when I saw that happen.

Another training tool.

The secret is a good bred pup doesn't need many of these props.

Old Post 02-22-2018 02:24 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce where you get those feeders like that I am using tire feeders can't keep the hogs out of them got to get something off the ground.

Tar

Old Post 02-22-2018 02:42 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

We turned pups loose and sorted one or two out for a lot of years. It worked okay. The best one I have ever kept was raised in town though

Old Post 02-22-2018 03:14 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rebeldog4
UKC Forum Member

It definitely all starts at the breeding!

Old Post 02-22-2018 03:38 PM
Rebeldog4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rebeldog4 Click here to Send Rebeldog4 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebeldog4 Add Rebeldog4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Walmart carries them. Moultrie is the mfg.

Old Post 02-22-2018 03:59 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I dont have a farm to let them run anymore but I have a 2 acre fenced back yard. We leave them running in it and it makes a huge difference in the pups. Not hunting but they have way more sense and are a lot calmer this way. They aren't nuts the first time you take them out. Thats has been the down fall of a lot of pups. Kept in a pen until they are 6 months old and when you take them the first few times you cant catch them, they run around barking and acting crazy. By the third trip like this they dont come home. More dogs have been ruined in the yard and dog pen than in the woods.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 02-22-2018 04:16 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

Jen

Sometimes all you need is the search tab at the top right corner! Can't believe the content (and humor) I'm finding!

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 01-24-2019 07:44 AM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Cons of letting them run loose... the danger aspect over the years a few have got hit by cars or flat out dissappeared but the benefits out weigh the risk. Everytime a dog is hunted it is put at risk with no guarantee of getting it back so if you worry to much about the risk raise a house dog or keep them in the pen to look at lol. If not done right what can happen... when they start treeing consistently it's time to pen them up so you don't have them getting treed then leaving trees.
The social aspect... you can't just turn them out and forget them pups need social human interaction on the daily. You don't want a pup that is hard to catch and doesn't know that the human is in charge.
Coon pens... if you go this route it should be limited, to many hot tracks with no need to learn to run a track, most need no help with the tree part already. To much of a coon pen = lazy dog that likes to tree but expects all tracks to come easy with no need to go find one or work out a difficult track. Coon pens work best for getting a dog to tree and easy exposure to coons, they have their purpose but as stated limited or controlled. Pups need to learn how to run a track, pick up a lose and go find a track, running loose does this.
Running trash... most of us who mentioned this have already stated most break themselves with age and coon and is very seldom a long term problem. A trashy 7-8 mo old pup with plenty of fire is most coonhunters dream to start, you can take what you need out but can't put it in.

Ive only been at this game a little over 50 years but in my limited experience this is the best way possible for a pup.

Old Post 01-24-2019 05:31 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Best post on here in a long time.

Old Post 01-24-2019 05:32 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thank you, I made that post nearly a year ago and still never have gotten a reply from our friend eddy who was quick to criticize his and I but never gave the poster one word of advice.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-25-2019 04:43 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
B&Ttreed2017
Banned

Pups

Where Nite Cry lives he cant let em run loose. that is not an option. Im not the best trainer and never claim to be, but I can get one started by using a method that Jim Kilburn,Rough Creek Hounds ,shared with me many years ago. There is a difference between startin a pup and finishin one.

Give me a call bub and Ill help ya all I can. We are only a hop skip and a jump away from each other.
Its amazin these days how someone can boast and carry on about some high dollar dogs winnings on a fellers post askin fer help rather than offerin a hand .Just because they have won that much doesnt make em a coondog!

Qualified for UKC World 2017
Won his first 4 Shows in a row
Made Champion at 11 months
Qualified for the Illinois Govenors Cup 2017
Owned & Handled by 10 yr old Lil Darik
Titus has been found!!! 4 hours north of us. Dariks Happy Again!
God Is Great!!

Bradleys Tenacious Super Star
Leons Darkside x Blue Label Lilly
2 Wins towards UKC Show Champion
Owned & Handled by 9 yr old Bradley__________________________
618-320-0880 Cell
~Rest In Peace Ole Boy~
Biehls Tenacious Jet
Hobo Hoss x Kansas Jewell

Old Post 01-25-2019 02:11 PM
B&Ttreed2017 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for B&Ttreed2017 Click here to Send B&Ttreed2017 a Private Message Click Here to Email B&Ttreed2017 Find more posts by B&Ttreed2017 Add B&Ttreed2017 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Running Free

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan&Ann
[B]Letting a pup run free
]
I know what your saying, sounds good, almost like its a great idea and it almost makes sense. I just wanted to know if anyone on here ever seen what problems letting a pup run loose causes. If that is what ya'll think is the big thing in getting a pup a head start and putting them in a coon pen is the way to go That's Great! Its just not for me, Been There, Done That.

Normally its someone that just turns them out. Dumps food and forgets about them. That causes all kinds of problems from not wanting caught to not wanting to hunt except when they want too.

However someone that does it right is ahead of the game. I do not let mine run completely free but they do run in a 1 acre fenced in area around the pens. I pet and handle them everyday. It puts them way ahead on maturity. Its the best way I have found.

That being said I would rather have one that has run loose and not been paid any attention to than one thats been in a pen all its life and not paid any attention. They both will have their problem but the one in the pen will be worse. The key is working with them how ever you raise them.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 01-25-2019 06:19 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote