UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > To train a hound ??
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Night cry
UKC Forum Member

To train a hound ??

Opinions of best way to get a hound going good ?

A. put him in the woods by himself and let him figure it out ?

B. hunt him with older finished hounds ?

C.drive around find a coon crossing road dump him on a hot track ?

D. hunt him in woods with coon feeders?

FUELED BY SHOWTIME DOG FOOD !!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-17-2018 08:49 PM
Night cry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night cry Click here to Send Night cry a Private Message Click Here to Email Night cry Find more posts by Night cry Add Night cry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

There is no "best" way. Do what works best for you and the kind of hunting you have although I have never had any use for option C.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 02-17-2018 09:42 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

Combination of a and d.....but dont do D to much. If use feeders, turn loose from different directions and different distances.

Old Post 02-17-2018 10:27 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I’m not a coon hunter but most hunting dog training usually follows the same concept...

I see a problem with “A”...

The pup needs to know what a coon is and that you want coon...once the pup wants a coon then hunt him where there are plenty of coon...hunting your started pup where there aren’t many coon but lots of off game...then you can bet the pup will be trashing because most gamy pups will get bored and will want to run and catch something...so set him up for success...and both of you will be a lot happier because of it...

Old Post 02-17-2018 11:44 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

E......find you someone with a big farm from 6-10 months old just let it run loose..better if there's multiple pups.. rabbit dogs, squirrel dogs anything that runs

Old Post 02-18-2018 01:05 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

E......find you someone with a big farm from 6-10 months old just let it run loose..better if there's multiple pups.. rabbit dogs, squirrel dogs anything that runs

Old Post 02-18-2018 01:05 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Ya that's a good idea, letting it run loose on a farm, running everything in the woods like fox, deer, rabbits, coyote's all that stuff that won't tree till its about 6 to 8 maybe 10 month old and then when you can't get it tree when you start hunting it get back on here and ask what to do next.

Old Post 02-18-2018 03:41 AM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I’m not a coon hunter but most hunting dog training usually follows the same concept...

I see a problem with “A”...

The pup needs to know what a coon is and that you want coon...once the pup wants a coon then hunt him where there are plenty of coon...hunting your started pup where there aren’t many coon but lots of off game...then you can bet the pup will be trashing because most gamy pups will get bored and will want to run and catch something...so set him up for success...and both of you will be a lot happier because of it...

In a way that's true but heres what happened with my pup. I layed a few drags for him with a dead coon or a coon hide and hung it up and let him go find it in the tree. Done that a few times. He caught on when he was maybe 6 months old but didn't blow the top out of the tree. I started taking him for walks in the woods from 3 months old. Just me and him. No feeders. North Georgia has a fair to below average coon population in my opinion. He treed a possum at 7 months old. Treed his first coon at 7 1/2 months old. Started running deer around 6 months old. Treed coons, treed possums and ran deer till around 10 months old. Keep in mind its just me and him. At 10 months old he completely stopped deer all on his own. Never has had a shocker on his neck. To my knowledge he has not ran a deer at all since 10 months old and hes nearly 3 years old. Has not treed a possum in about 18 months as far as I know. He figured out on his own what he liked. I just put him in the woods. No switching about it and no shock collar. Im extremely pleased with him now. Im thankful I was patient. Ive been blessed.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Old Post 02-18-2018 03:58 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like you used the "Where the Red Ferns Grows" method, you know with the hide and drag. nothing new about that. Walking a pup around in the woods just you and him, getting to know the pup is something Vicki Lamb and John Wick both tell you to do in there books, but the real trainers don't do any of this.....

Old Post 02-18-2018 04:09 AM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Best way

What Jim said!

Old Post 02-18-2018 06:04 AM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy
Ya that's a good idea, letting it run loose on a farm, running everything in the woods like fox, deer, rabbits, coyote's all that stuff that won't tree till its about 6 to 8 maybe 10 month old and then when you can't get it tree when you start hunting it get back on here and ask what to do next.

Suit your self bud...this method has won me over 40k in 3 yrs I'll keep using it. I was just giving my opinion.

Old Post 02-18-2018 07:54 AM
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Jason is right if it has any sense what so ever you want have to figure it out it will come natural on what to do next most guys just can’t figure out you got to have a track dog first our breed has way to much tree power already.

Old Post 02-18-2018 08:54 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darton
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Hoss let them run free. I let my pups run loose from 8 weeks until they are around six months old .I show them a coon hide and start taking them on walks to my coon feeders . My dogs usually start running and treeing around 9 months old .

Old Post 02-18-2018 01:10 PM
darton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darton Click here to Send darton a Private Message Find more posts by darton Add darton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

That's Funny! I guess you think they let them dogs run free at the airports and learn how to find drugs, if they got it in them they will pick it up on there own. Ya Man that's Funny!

Old Post 02-18-2018 02:39 PM
elvis
UKC Forum Member

theres different ways to start a pup.
whats worked best for me has been to hunt one with the older dog and when I see he can tree one on its own I hunt it alone.
treeing one by itself is better than a dozen with help.
just my opinion.

Old Post 02-18-2018 04:18 PM
elvis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elvis Click here to Send elvis a Private Message Find more posts by elvis Add elvis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

there are many ways to start a pup. the best way may not be the same for everyone or for every pup.
one thing is for sure we have all seen pups turn into dogs just setting in a pen or on a chain.

Old Post 02-18-2018 04:30 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

A

option AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !! not for lazy folk !! so go with the other options !! for most !!!

Old Post 02-18-2018 07:44 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

How come the Hecklers never tell us how it's done?
Oh did i say that out loud!

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 02-18-2018 09:26 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bowling
Jason is right if it has any sense what so ever you want have to figure it out it will come natural on what to do next most guys just can’t figure out you got to have a track dog first our breed has way to much tree power already.

I'm sure glad not everyone thinks like us....makes my pockets alot fatter😂😂

Old Post 02-18-2018 09:30 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
Suit your self bud...this method has won me over 40k in 3 yrs I'll keep using it. I was just giving my opinion.

All mine are started by running loose too.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 02-19-2018 12:27 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Well there you have it, Let them run loose on a farm, or put them in a coon pen, turn coons out for them, drag a hide around and hang it in a tree. I guess that's all you need to know, WOW!

Old Post 02-19-2018 02:53 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

If I were lucky enough to live way out in the country with no neighbors close enough to be bothered by the pups I would let them run loose and watch them trail rabbits and tree the farm cats and squirrels...I could then pick out the best pups for training and breeding...pups running loose, learning and figuring things out will be way ahead of those pups that spend most of the day in a kennel...

As I mentioned before...start the pup where there are plenty of coon...try to hunt where the chances to get on the right game is high...so the least amount of correcting the pups is the goal...

I like hog dogs with lots of bottom and gamy, gamy...they don’t trash long on coon or armadillos and that is pretty much controllable...but trashing on deer can ruin a good hunt...it can be a setback on training because I’ll be frustrated and the pups will be confused until they figure out I don’t like them running deer...so I make it real simple for them and myself...I break them off of deer in their kennel by the time they are 6 months old...this is setting us up for success when we are in the woods...

Setting up for a setback...
breaking the pups off of deer in the woods...first we need to know if they are running deer so they might run deer two or three times before I know they are running deer... by this time they are really liking it and it might make a dog that was about deer broke to start running deer again...then once you find out they are running deer you scold, whip, or shock them...sometimes we apply these corrections at the wrong time or go overboard with them and after some time the pups are broke...but in my mind there are negatives in these methods even though at some point in time they will work...but it’s later than sooner...

Setting up for success...
not trashing on deer...the pups are broke at home and in the woods they will not run deer...pups and handlers have a good relationship and the pup has a high level of confidence because the corrections are kept to a minimum...

Old Post 02-19-2018 02:57 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Well there you have it, Let them run loose on a farm, or put them in a coon pen, turn coons out for them, drag a hide around and hang it in a tree. I guess that's all you need to know, WOW!

Running loose is just the first part in a long process and lots of boot leather from start to finish.
Please enlighten me with me with your expert opinion because I've only started a couple lol, WoW me.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 02-19-2018 03:08 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

For every world class hound, like a world champion, Big money winner, and just a over all big winner that you can prove ran loose on a farm I will name 10 as good or better that never ran loose. REUBEN

Old Post 02-19-2018 03:14 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
For every world class hound, like a world champion, Big money winner, and just a over all big winner that you can prove ran loose on a farm I will name 10 as good or better that never ran loose. REUBEN

Can you name some that you have trained?

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 02-19-2018 03:21 AM