UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting an aggressive dog?
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

Hunting an aggressive dog?

How many of you would hunt a dog that is aggressive on a tree?If you thought it could win would you put it in a hunt?Just be honest.Ive talked to a couple guys lately that thought is was good to have a dog like this.They want there dog to gut any dog that try's to tree with it.It seems there more popular in the money hunts.Whats your thoughts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:36 AM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Why?

Why would you even want to. 2 aggressive dogs on a tree only means one thing.
Oh what am I saying nobody's dog on here will tree with another dog, they are all loners. I guess they are only aggressive towards people. Yeah that's okay. Most people deserve it.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:51 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

What makes a mean dog popular in money hunts? Why do people say stuff like this that have probally never entered a $ hunt. I can honestly say I have had more problems over the trophy than I have ever had in the $ hunts.

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:52 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

Don't take it personal Johnny.I've been in the $ hunts.Im not downing them at all.

Old Post 08-27-2016 04:14 AM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ttrusic
UKC Forum Member

Aggressive

I have coon hunte amd now bear and hog hunt i will not hunt a dog aggressive dog no matter what i will not tolerate it in pups an agressive dog can ruin other dogs it is hunted with i would not give or sell an ill dog think of how many dogs can be destroyed

Old Post 08-27-2016 05:24 AM
ttrusic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ttrusic Click here to Send ttrusic a Private Message Click Here to Email ttrusic Find more posts by ttrusic Add ttrusic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickhagerman
UKC Forum Member

mean dogs

I absolutely will not own or hunt 1. But I also won't own 1 that's gonna leave. I'm not running to a tree unless it gets bad.
I've seen a lot more rough dogs going for a win slip then I have money.

GrNitech Eagle Lake Mojane
2022 Silver lake walker sec. CW
2022 walker days CW
2022 Wyatt rqe 1st place
2023 lieters ford rqe 2nd place
2023 TOC top 96
Qualified for TOC 2023, 2024

Nitech Eagle Lake smiling Bob
Qualified for TOC 2024, 2025
Nitech at 13 months

Nick Hagerman (260)237-0392

Old Post 08-27-2016 06:14 AM
nickhagerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickhagerman Click here to Send nickhagerman a Private Message Click Here to Email nickhagerman Find more posts by nickhagerman Add nickhagerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Most people don't know what a mean dog is. Big difference in a stout tree dog and a mean dog.

Old Post 08-27-2016 08:27 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
Most people don't know what a mean dog is. Big difference in a stout tree dog and a mean dog.

Please explain.

Old Post 08-27-2016 01:41 PM
Laura Bell
UKC Forum Member

Not all dogs will get along with each other, but knowingly hunting a dog that's dog aggressive is careless.
I had my first nite hunt dog ruined by someone who was hunting a dog who already had 2 scratches for fighting. Had I known beforehand I would have just withdrawn. That dog jumped the entire cast of dogs before we could get a leash on him.

Old Post 08-27-2016 01:58 PM
Laura Bell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Laura Bell Click here to Send Laura Bell a Private Message Click Here to Email Laura Bell Find more posts by Laura Bell Add Laura Bell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: mean dogs

quote:
Originally posted by nickhagerman
I absolutely will not own or hunt 1. But I also won't own 1 that's gonna leave. I'm not running to a tree unless it gets bad.
I've seen a lot more rough dogs going for a win slip then I have money.

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are!!

Old Post 08-27-2016 01:59 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

I think someone hunting a aggressive dog in the hunts that knows it is aggressive before it is put in a hunt kinda defines a persons true character. Win at all cost!!! Certainly isn't my style but hey that is just me.

Old Post 08-27-2016 02:42 PM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Ok this is not going to be a popular answer you need to prepare your dog ahead of time to compete train them to get back and stay because sooner or later you are going to draw one if there is a lot on the line I don't want mine going and getting under the truck with their tail between their legs I am old but I ain't going to stand there and take an ass woopin you should not expect your dog to take one either that being said I will not own a aggressive dog that starts it.

Old Post 08-27-2016 02:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by chip johnson
I think someone hunting a aggressive dog in the hunts that knows it is aggressive before it is put in a hunt kinda defines a persons true character. Win at all cost!!! Certainly isn't my style but hey that is just me.

I agree 100%.

Old Post 08-27-2016 02:57 PM
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

I respect a dog thatl stand his ground and give that aggresive dog what he deserves. But at the same time ul find ur dog gettin in trouble with the aggressor if not there to see it go down. Just like wit people. I wouldnt let anyone punch me in the mouth without them gettin theyre wat for.

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:05 PM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Ok this is not going to be a popular answer you need to prepare your dog ahead of time to compete train them to get back and stay because sooner or later you are going to draw one if there is a lot on the line I don't want mine going and getting under the truck with their tail between their legs I am old but I ain't going to stand there and take an ass woopin you should not expect your dog to take one either that being said I will not own a aggressive dog that starts it.
How do you prepare a dog to fight, yet not fight? How many times have you witnessed the start of a dog fight? If your dog will stay and fight, they ARE part of the problem.
We either got to let dogs be dogs or get real serious on the scratchin.

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:08 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jackson87
Please explain.

Matt , I can explain , I own a dog that's been over 200 cast PKC , CHKC and UKC I have seen him fight To stay treed , I have seen him run around a tree running from dogs , He is strong enough to stay , , a mean dog is looking for a Fight , a strong tree dog will have to fight from time to time , not because he wants but because he has to fight for position
I have seen him tree with dogs a lot of times and never have a issues I seen him get chewed on by younger females , The 3 or 4 fights I have seen him in was with older females or another strong male that came into the tree trying to dominate that was late treeing

To explain the difference is hard ,, unless you know the difference
My dog is strong but not mean , so out of more than 600 dogs hes been with yes he has been aggressive with a few of them ,, but is he aggressive ,, NO just strong

I have taken him and my whole clan to dog parks and never seen a mean hair on them interacting with strange dogs ,, just wanting to play and rump around

Last edited by Darrell Eads on 08-27-2016 at 03:30 PM

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:25 PM
Darrell Eads is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darrell Eads Click here to Send Darrell Eads a Private Message Click Here to Email Darrell Eads Find more posts by Darrell Eads Add Darrell Eads to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

There is a fine line. Once it has been crossed, it will be crossed again. Jmo

I want mine as close as the aggressive dog will allow it. If that's not close enough on any given night, I'll take my minus. I will not listen to dogs fighin and fussin. I despise it !

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:37 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Ed you know the answer but just in case you don't prepare at home if you know of an a aggressive dog after you think your dog is ready for the hunts go hunt with it from time to time when going to the tree keep your light out go in and watch how your dog is reacting and make the nessesary adjustments were I live I ain't going to the expense and driving 800 miles for mine to get whooped off a tree still might happen tho.

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:40 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Eads
Matt , I can explain , I own a dog that's been over 200 cast PKC , CHKC and UKC I have seen him fight To stay treed , I have seen him run around a tree running from dogs , He is strong enough to stay , , a mean dog is looking for a Fight , a strong tree dog will have to fight from time to time , not because he wants but because he has to fight for position
I have seen him tree with dogs a lot of times and never have a issues I seen him get chewed on by younger females , The 3 or 4 fights I have seen him in was with older females or another strong male that came into the tree trying to dominate that was late treeing

My dog is strong but not mean , so out of more than 600 dogs hes been with yes he has been aggressive with a few of them ,, but is he aggressive ,, NO just strong

I have taken him and my whole clan to dog parks and never seen a mean hair on them interacting with strange dogs ,, just wanting to play and rump around

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:45 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jet delong
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge
biggest difference is the owners, one admits their dog is rough the other calls it a stout tree dog!

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:51 PM
jet delong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jet delong Find more posts by jet delong Add jet delong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

You mean it's like people getting on here saying I ain't got no babbling dog but if these no babbling rules pass I won't hunt in anouther ukc hunt crapping ole silent dogs lmao. Hard to get your dog in a fight in the living room watching the 10 o'clock news lmao.

Old Post 08-27-2016 03:57 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I've had trouble with red bone females here lately, he's had holes poked in his back legs twice this year, both times he's left the tree

Old Post 08-27-2016 04:12 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Beckham
UKC Forum Member

I would be willing to bet there are folks preaching against mean, rough or ill dogs that currently own one or has campaigned one in the past.

The only person that really cares about rough dogs is the guy who's dog got pushed off the last tree.

PKC CH, GRNITECH Beckham's Hillbilly Bones

Old Post 08-27-2016 04:17 PM
Billy Beckham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Beckham Click here to Send Billy Beckham a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy Beckham Find more posts by Billy Beckham Add Billy Beckham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Eads

So as a judge, How do I know when a dog is just being "strong" and when one is being aggressive? "if a dog shows aggression and interferes, he is to be scratched", I guess I missed the part about "unless he is just being strong" . I don't care, either we allow fighting or we don't, Its just that simple.

Old Post 08-27-2016 04:23 PM
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Beckham
I would be willing to bet there are folks preaching against mean, rough or ill dogs that currently own one or has campaigned one in the past.

The only person that really cares about rough dogs is the guy who's dog got pushed off the last tree.

No, I care cause your mean dog will get my "strong" dog scratched, unless you or I are the judge, then we just shake our heads and say" he's never done that before but just to be sure we will stay close so I can get to the tree quick and see whats going on".

Old Post 08-27-2016 04:29 PM