UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Countdown or No Countdown?
Countdown or no countdown on tree.
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes need Countdown. 135 67.50%
No leave it as is. 65 32.50%
Total: 200 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Countdown or No Countdown?

Which one is it? List the breed you support when telling your vote.
Walker and Countdown.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-19-2016 11:59 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

unless UKC will supply the needed stop watches and a judge to run them, then no. If you have all non hunting judges, fine, go for it.

Old Post 08-20-2016 12:21 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dawgg03
UKC Forum Member

Yes countdown . B&T

I use Sunfire lights

Last edited by dawgg03 on 08-20-2016 at 12:25 AM

Old Post 08-20-2016 12:23 AM
dawgg03 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dawgg03 Click here to Send dawgg03 a Private Message Click Here to Email dawgg03 Find more posts by dawgg03 Add dawgg03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Walker yes

Old Post 08-20-2016 12:28 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

vote

yes for countdown. Bluetick voted that way last time. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 08-20-2016 12:46 AM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frank M
UKC Forum Member

Voted No

English; I don't see the need to add a countdown. If I'm getting beat by a dog that covers late for 75 then I have more pressing issues that a countdown wont cure. I would prefer to see the tie braking rule changed; I tree 2 coons and a emtpy and another dog trees 1 coon I don't think I should get beat.

GrNtCh GrCh PKC Ch 'PR' Kate N Roys Demon Seed

NtCh FCh CH 'PR' Just A Dog

Just hunting to have some fun.
Use only the Rules UKC has writen not the ones you think should be there!

Old Post 08-20-2016 12:55 AM
Frank M is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frank M Click here to Send Frank M a Private Message Click Here to Email Frank M Find more posts by Frank M Add Frank M to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Plus side to it is you are looking at your stopwatch so much you don't have time to argue !!

Old Post 08-20-2016 12:57 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

It's not rocket science running a countdown. Your running 5 on tree anyhow.

Old Post 08-20-2016 01:35 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Yuuup

Old Post 08-20-2016 01:38 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

I don't understand people thinking this is a BIG DEAL!? Its literally 25 or 50 points difference for a dog that's 2+ minutes to cover a dog that did the work. I just can't wrap my head around it!

Old Post 08-20-2016 01:50 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

What experience I have had with it they are not going to be together anyway so if they are together they get treed quick or they are not there those guys don't want them to back.

Old Post 08-20-2016 01:54 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

lol

YES!!! my breed????????????????

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:02 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Yes
Walker

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:08 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Won't make any difference. Me too dogs cover as soon as one locates coon , possum or slick!

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:19 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Yes, Breed for Hardwood not plywood!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 08-20-2016 03:00 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ed zachary
unless UKC will supply the needed stop watches and a judge to run them, then no. If you have all non hunting judges, fine, go for it.

I don't see how a tree countdown (the way they have it described) really makes time keeping any harder. You already have to start the "5", when you see that 2 min has expired 2nd and 3rd tree become 25 points "easy peezy" doesn't really take another watch for that.

Old Post 08-20-2016 01:54 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Those who sweat the timekeeping have obviously never done it. Even a caveman can do it.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:07 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Prince
Won't make any difference. Me too dogs cover as soon as one locates coon , possum or slick!

It will make a BIG difference. Might be good or it might be bad but it will definately be BIG.

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:09 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I can and have done it and I am a bonified dummy !!

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think we should take one step back from any rule proposed and ask yourself "what does this rule change do to our future hunting" Like it or not the rules determine how our dogs will be in the future 5 or 10 years down the line. If most of the people agree that the standards of a coonhound should not be to cover then the present rule needs to be changed.
Just like if they came up with a rule that any dog with white on its ears would be penalized highly on the bench and its chances of winning would be slim. What do you think would happen. No one with show dogs would even breed close to any dogs that throw white on a pups ears and they sure wouldn't show one. Same with out competition hounds. The rules determine our future. Change them carefully!

Thankfully I have lived a long life but with that I have went from a era that all dogs treed together to one of today that most dogs are split and won't honor another dog. Now the dogs that won't honor sometimes perform to expectations and tree their coon. Many are a little nuts and will grab a tree a few trees away or jealous tree. Some will locate on the tree with the other dog just to make it hard on the handler then move on and not tree a coon because it was in the tree that another dog was treeing on. Time and rule changes over the years have warranted the need for changes to the way these dogs are trained. Some handlers have understood this and some just don't get it.

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:26 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

No, just because to many people in UKC hunts have a hard enough time knowing the rules and how to apply them. 4 out of every 5 ukc cast I have been in im the only one with a stop watch in the 1st place. I like that UKC is different on this rule cause it is one of the few things that can't be argued about. I hate a cover dog but this won't affect them they will cover with in the 1st 30 sec anyway if not before.
B&T, Walker, English

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:28 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Yes. Walker/REDBONE

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:28 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I think we should take one step back from any rule proposed and ask yourself "what does this rule change do to our future hunting" Like it or not the rules determine how our dogs will be in the future 5 or 10 years down the line. If most of the people agree that the standards of a coonhound should not be to cover then the present rule needs to be changed.
Just like if they came up with a rule that any dog with white on its ears would be penalized highly on the bench and its chances of winning would be slim. What do you think would happen. No one with show dogs would even breed close to any dogs that throw white on a pups ears and they sure wouldn't show one. Same with out competition hounds. The rules determine our future. Change them carefully!

Thankfully I have lived a long life but with that I have went from a era that all dogs treed together to one of today that most dogs are split and won't honor another dog. Now the dogs that won't honor sometimes perform to expectations and tree their coon. Many are a little nuts and will grab a tree a few trees away or jealous tree. Some will locate on the tree with the other dog just to make it hard on the handler then move on and not tree a coon because it was in the tree that another dog was treeing on. Time and rule changes over the years have warranted the need for changes to the way these dogs are trained. Some handlers have understood this and some just don't get it.

I disagree that the countdown will automatically eliminate dogs from covering. A dog that covers in that last minute can still get 125 plus points and that ain't nothing to sneeze at. Especially if the dog with first tree only struck in for 25. I doubt anyone likes or allows their dog to quit a track to go cover and most have always corrected dogs for doing that, or at least we have since the advent of TriTronics. But if a dog has nothing going and covers for plus points, who doesn't want those points?
I don't see a countdown rule making any great wholesale changes in our dogs. It WILL probably push some of these trainers to expect better of their dogs.

I don't know about anyone else but as someone still raising and trying to train dogs that win, the UKC rule book or any other rule book for that matter, is not what's on my mind when I'm in the woods working dogs. But maybe that is why I am not one of the famous trainers.

Last edited by JiM on 08-20-2016 at 02:44 PM

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:40 PM
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

I don't think rule changes for the sake of change is always good. I remember when we had 3 hour hunts and UKC awarded points even if you didn't win your cast. If you had 12 cast and only 7 cast came back with a cast winner and you finished second in your cast with plus points and was the next highest scoring dog you would get eight place, the next highest scoring non-cast winner would get the next place until the first 10 places were filled. People said that cheapened the nite champion title by awarding points to non-cast winners so the rule was changed. Now we'll only have one cast with 2 or 3 dogs hunting. To get that first place win you're only hunting against the 2 or 3 dogs in your cast. So which nite champion is the cheapest, the one that earned his degree hunting against 10 or 12 other cast or the dog that hunted against 2 or 3 dogs. Regardless of whether you got a placement by finishing second on your cast you still had to have that first place win. Everybody used to come back to the club and talk about the hunt and socialize because they had a chance to place even if they didn't win their cast, now the only person that comes back
is the cast winner. So my question is when are we starting the one hour hunts and hunting for money since everybody thinks the other kc's rules are the best rules to hunt by.

Old Post 08-20-2016 02:56 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Yes
Bluetick

Old Post 08-20-2016 03:05 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote