UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Building new dog kennel
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DJames
UKC Forum Member

Building new dog kennel

I am fixing to build a dog kennel and want it off the ground and under roof. I was planning on using treated 2 x 6 as flooring but i had a guy tell me he used treated lumber and it caused his dogs pads to come off down to tender skin. Has anyone had this happen? If this is a common problem what do folks use?
If you guys with kennels that are built off the ground want to i would love to see pictures as it may help me on constructing mine. Thanks in advance.

GrNtCh HOF GrCh Tough Red Ruby Big Rig

GrNiteCh PR James' Tough Blue Glass Performance Sire 2009 World Qualifier

GrNiteCh PR James' Tough Blue Tank
GrNiteCh PR James' Tough Glass Shaker 9th place St Jude Saturday nite hunt 2013
NiteCh PR James' Tough Blue Shine (RIP)
NiteCh PR Tough Blue Lady (Sold)
NiteCh PR Tough Blue Rebel (Sold)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2016 04:30 AM
DJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DJames Click here to Send DJames a Private Message Click Here to Email DJames Find more posts by DJames Add DJames to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Adams
Banned

Here is a pic of the last one I built.. Not a real good pic but gives you a idea. These have worked real well for us.. We use treated deck boards for flooring and never had a problem.. Good luck with yours!

Here is another pic before it was finished..

Old Post 08-09-2016 04:45 AM
Doug Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Adams Click here to Send Doug Adams a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Adams Find more posts by Doug Adams Add Doug Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

My dogs have been on treated deck boards for 15 years and none of them ever lost any pads.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 08-09-2016 04:55 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

ABOVE THE GROUND KENNELS

THESE ARE MY KENNELS YOU CAN SEE THE POOP CATCHER THAT I PUT UNDER THEM I JUST SPRAY THE POOP TO THE BACK INTO A TROUGH MADE OUT OF 6 INCH VINAL GUTTER AND SPRAY POOP TO ONE END INTO A 5 GALLON BUCKET NEVER HANDEL THE POOP ONLY TO DUMP IT OUT OF THE BUCKET . I USED VINAL HOG FLOORING FOR THE FLOOR POOP DOES NOT STICK TO IT AND VERY EASY TO KEEP CLEAN, THIS IS THE BEST SET UP THAT IVE EVER HAD HAVE A BLESSED ONE ,,,RON

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 08-09-2016 05:09 AM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJames
UKC Forum Member

Thanks guys! Keep em coming. I was planning on using my pens from tractor supply that are welded wire and are 5' wide' 6' tall and 15' deep and mounting them to my floor then building like a pole barn covering the kennels. Mine will be like 42' wide 16 to 18 ft deep as i will have 8 pens total unless i decide on 10 then numbers on size will all increase. I had planned on 2 x 6 treated flooring with space between floor boards but some say much easier to spray clean with no gaps. I am just trying to avoid as many mistakes as possible because if there is a wrong way i usually do it.

Old Post 08-09-2016 05:25 AM
DJames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DJames Click here to Send DJames a Private Message Click Here to Email DJames Find more posts by DJames Add DJames to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deadeye ruck
UKC Forum Member

Put a gap between them- around an 1-1.5 inches. You'll be glad you did.

Simon Rucker
(540)-420-1787

GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Candy's Stylish Swag 2014 VA State PKC top 10 and 2022/2023 Super Stakes Sire & 2022 UKC Performance Sire
GrNiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Late Night Backwater Piper
NiteCh PKC CH 'PR' Risky Ruby
'PR' Stylish Poison Neon Moon
'PR' Stylish Poison Pickles

Old Post 08-09-2016 04:28 PM
deadeye ruck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deadeye ruck Click here to Send deadeye ruck a Private Message Click Here to Email deadeye ruck Find more posts by deadeye ruck Add deadeye ruck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

If you'd be interested in using composite wood boards on the floor I can hook you up with a place in Ohio, it's cheap and they got tons of it. They're the same size as regular treated decking boards.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Last edited by jkidd1 on 08-09-2016 at 05:37 PM

Old Post 08-09-2016 05:28 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

There is no need to use 2" lumber for the floor. It's over kill. Just use 5/4 decking boards. I don't like the wide gaps some guys use. I think it stresses the dog as they have to constantly watch where they step.

Old Post 08-09-2016 05:32 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I built one off the ground for beagles and have used it for hounds when they are in heat. I used the plastic lattice from lowes. Brace it every 16" and it works great. It gets a little wavy when it heats up but doesnt hurt a thing.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-09-2016 06:05 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJames
UKC Forum Member

Thanks everyone, i appreciate all input. The guy that is going to help me said same thing about 2x6's. He said i wasnt keeping elephants in it that 5/4 was all i needed. May take me a yr to do it due to working too but i am excited to finally get started. I have my dogs scattered all over my place in shades in pens and on chains and thats a big chore to take care of them like that. Just having them all in one spot is going to be nice!

Old Post 08-09-2016 08:15 PM
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

I have all above ground pins like Doug posted above.I like them in the wet seasons such as fall,winter,and spring cause it keeps the dogs high and dry.If I already had nice kennels I'd put them on elevated decks using 5/4 pressure treated or composite with no gaps.Prolly 2ft off the ground to allow air to flow under.That would cost a lot of money but would last a long time.

Old Post 08-09-2016 09:47 PM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jay Bird 76
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
There is no need to use 2" lumber for the floor. It's over kill. Just use 5/4 decking boards. I don't like the wide gaps some guys use. I think it stresses the dog as they have to constantly watch where they step.

I agree with this.. I've had my pens on decks for years. Some had gaps and some didn't..with gaps, the dogs always had to watch their step. With the boards together, they ran and played etc. You have to wash them either way, so I'd use decking and put them together. Just slat your pen floors a little so the water runs off. I have concrete now, but going back to off the ground with chicken house flooring that is made of plastic and 1x1 square holes. It's $18 for 2x4 sections, but they are nice...just another option for off the ground.

Old Post 08-09-2016 10:19 PM
Jay Bird 76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jay Bird 76 Click here to Send Jay Bird 76 a Private Message Find more posts by Jay Bird 76 Add Jay Bird 76 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BornAganBeagler
UKC Forum Member

Re: ABOVE THE GROUND KENNELS

quote:
Originally posted by Riverbottom Ron
THESE ARE MY KENNELS YOU CAN SEE THE POOP CATCHER THAT I PUT UNDER THEM I JUST SPRAY THE POOP TO THE BACK INTO A TROUGH MADE OUT OF 6 INCH VINAL GUTTER AND SPRAY POOP TO ONE END INTO A 5 GALLON BUCKET NEVER HANDEL THE POOP ONLY TO DUMP IT OUT OF THE BUCKET . I USED VINAL HOG FLOORING FOR THE FLOOR POOP DOES NOT STICK TO IT AND VERY EASY TO KEEP CLEAN, THIS IS THE BEST SET UP THAT IVE EVER HAD HAVE A BLESSED ONE ,,,RON
i use to have a set up like this but i had a 220 volt fan like that goes in the attic of a barn but i had it wired to 110 so that it wouldnt go very fast and i had it permantly mounted to blow across the kennels. You wouldnt believe how effective it was at keeping flies away in the summer

Old Post 08-09-2016 11:01 PM
BornAganBeagler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BornAganBeagler Click here to Send BornAganBeagler a Private Message Click Here to Email BornAganBeagler Find more posts by BornAganBeagler Add BornAganBeagler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Terrell
UKC Forum Member

I used decking boards also pushed together, had it at old place took it apart moved to new place put back together only thing I changed was went with a sloped roof instead of a pitched roof so the snow falls off the back, and added some solid stain and lattice to match the house and barn, no lattice on back where I can still throw some lime when needed, , 4- 10x7.5 runs , still need 1 more dog box with big lid so dogs can lay on top. And some Electric for the heated water bowls in the winter

Phone # 937-213-1779

Last edited by Doug Terrell on 08-10-2016 at 01:55 AM

Old Post 08-10-2016 01:23 AM
Doug Terrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Terrell Click here to Send Doug Terrell a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Terrell Find more posts by Doug Terrell Add Doug Terrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

5/4 deck boards shrink. If you make them tight when new, you will have 1/4" gaps after they shrink.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 08-10-2016 01:39 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Adams
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Terrell
I used decking boards also pushed together, had it at old place took it apart moved to new place put back together only thing I changed was went with a sloped roof instead of a pitched roof so the snow falls off the back, and added some solid stain and lattice to match the house and barn, no lattice on back where I can still throw some lime when needed, , 4- 10x7.5 runs , still need 1 more dog box with big lid so dogs can lay on top. Hansen Electric for the heated water bowls in the winter

That's a nice setup! Here is one we just finished.. It pretty much same as ones I posted above its just a 2 run..

Old Post 08-10-2016 01:52 AM
Doug Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Adams Click here to Send Doug Adams a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Adams Find more posts by Doug Adams Add Doug Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rmcmillan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Terrell
I used decking boards also pushed together, had it at old place took it apart moved to new place put back together only thing I changed was went with a sloped roof instead of a pitched roof so the snow falls off the back, and added some solid stain and lattice to match the house and barn, no lattice on back where I can still throw some lime when needed, , 4- 10x7.5 runs , still need 1 more dog box with big lid so dogs can lay on top. And some Electric for the heated water bowls in the winter

I LIKE THIS ONE.

Nt.Ch. Gr.Ch. Gr.WCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Crystal
Ntch. GrCh. Pr. McMillans Blue Magic
Gr.Nt.Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Hawk
Nt. Ch. Pr. McMillans Blue Rage
all are gone now but will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

CH. PR. MCMILLANS TREE ROCKIN BRANDY
CH. PR. MCMILLANS MIDNITES STINGIN SADIE

Old Post 08-10-2016 12:21 PM
rmcmillan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rmcmillan Click here to Send rmcmillan a Private Message Find more posts by rmcmillan Add rmcmillan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dsheads
UKC Forum Member

I am also looking to build a new kennel when I move in the next 6 months or so. I have been leaning hard towards concrete just for ease of cleaning and odor. You guys with the wooden elevated pressure treated pens do you like them more than just concrete. I would like to keep mine walk in kennels so I would only elevate a foot or so. Do you have much problems with odor coming from under the floors. Would you put gravel underneath?

Old Post 08-10-2016 03:55 PM
dsheads is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dsheads Click here to Send dsheads a Private Message Click Here to Email dsheads Find more posts by dsheads Add dsheads to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJames
UKC Forum Member

Very nice kennels guys! Mine will be walkin kennels as well. I am undecided on placing boxes inside kennels or outside. I like them outside to give dogs more space but that aint a must. Thanks again for all the pics and different ideas.

Old Post 08-10-2016 04:27 PM
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

Doug I was hoping you would post a pic of yours.Them are real nice!!!Concrete kennels stink way worse then anything I've ever seen.Because of that I will never have one.

Old Post 08-10-2016 04:42 PM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JR Collins
UKC Forum Member

I am not fininshed with my Kennels but am well under way. I added a 14ft overhang off the back of by building. The kennels are 10ft wide by 7ft deep. There boxes are on the inside where I can climinate control. The boxes are 3ft tall. 24" deep and 42" Long. The tops of the boxes are removable. I have a interior door and exterior to each kennel. I also installed fans in each one to help circulate air. I still need to finish running water lines to kennel and insulate and put up OSB around the walls and ceiling. I also need to install the gutter on the front and tie into septic tank to elininate scooping. We wash down each day and have not had any oder issue. The one change that I will make yet is to install a plastic liner from the concrete up 2ft to help protect the OSB from alll the water when we wash down.

Old Post 08-10-2016 05:38 PM
JR Collins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JR Collins Click here to Send JR Collins a Private Message Click Here to Email JR Collins Find more posts by JR Collins Add JR Collins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick Jennings
UKC Forum Member

No problems here with being on concrete

HOME OF:

UKC GRNITECH CH PR MIDNIGHT STORMS WILDMAN BUCK
(Check out Wildman Buck's Stud Page)

PR CHIEFS WILD N BLUE CRACK
-2017 Da$h For Ca$h Fall Shootout Finals Championship Overall Winner

Old Post 08-10-2016 06:36 PM
Nick Jennings is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick Jennings Click here to Send Nick Jennings a Private Message Find more posts by Nick Jennings Add Nick Jennings to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick Jennings
UKC Forum Member

HOME OF:

Old Post 08-10-2016 06:37 PM
Nick Jennings is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick Jennings Click here to Send Nick Jennings a Private Message Find more posts by Nick Jennings Add Nick Jennings to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick Jennings
UKC Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]
]

[/B][/QUOTE]

HOME OF:

Old Post 08-10-2016 06:38 PM
DJames
UKC Forum Member

Holy Crap you guys have some nice kennels! Mine wont be on the same scale as several i have seen but hope they turn out half as nice. Wow! Nice!!!!

Old Post 08-10-2016 07:34 PM