UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Proposal 3 - Coming in to Tree After Judge Arrives
Proposal 3 - Coming in to Tree After Judge Arrives
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Option A 83 39.15%
Option B 89 41.98%
Leave as is, per current rule. 40 18.87%
Total: 212 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
Last weekend at a hunt, this question came up. There were three Master of Hounds and several hunters present. They all agreed that just because a dog came by, or close by the tree, the handler shouldnt be made to handle his or her dog until it showed that it was treed. I have been made to handle my dog when he was cold nosing close by the tree. I didnt like it, but I did and received minus points for it.

A: Your question appears to concern what the term come in to tree means. In most cases, come in to tree is very obvious. It absolutely does not mean that a dog must come in and tree before he must be caught. Once in a while, it does require the use of some judgement. The Judge needs to decide, did the dog come in to the tree in question or didnt he? The criteria for making this decision is no different than that where a dog quits a trail that is being worked and comes in to the cast. If you are looking for a measurable distance on what is considered at the tree and what isnt, you wont get one from me. My advice is, use good judgement and be consistent.

It is always interesting to note that one handler will argue that being 15 feet off the tree is acceptable when his dog has been treed and the coon is seen. Yet, this same handler will argue that 15 feet off the tree is not considered being in to the tree when he is not declared treed and the coon is seen. Again, use good judgement and be consistent.

I think I have been reading this wrong. But still I'd rather be scratched than forced to take a dog off track and tie him up to a tree that or may not have a coon. I've never been asked to do it yet.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-01-2019 10:33 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
The way I take it is distance has no bearing on the call if dog is obviously tracking and not slacking

Exactly, willing to minus for exactly the same reason they would never plus if it was treed before the 5 minutes were up... Lol... " You treed your dog and your dog was 30' off the tree, nose to the ground... dog wasn't treed.. it's minused.... They dog was in the vincinity of the tree .. it's minused.. a double edge sword"

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 06-01-2019 10:35 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Just to be clear we are talking about two different rules as usually happens in these discussions.

What I and many others are voting for in this thread is to REMOVE the loop hole that allows a dog to quit a track and come into a tree after the cast gets there and they don't take minus unless the dogs treeing get plussed. I don't like that rule and many others don't either. It will even save one while you are running the 8 on it if the judge doesn't move the cast away from the tree that was scored because you are still at the tree (that's why I move the cast in that situation). So the way it stands right now a dog has 18 minutes to quit it's track and come in to the tree without getting minused its strike points unless the judge moves the cast from the tree after it is scored. Some like that rule, others don't but I personally voted to change it because I don't like it. I still enforce it even though I know the dog didn't deserve to have its strike points circled because as it stands right now that is the UKC rule.

The other rule we are talking about is dogs at the tree must be leashed. With all the situations of "well this dog went 50 feet and treed a coon" that isn't what the rule is there for. The rule is there because in UKC dogs on the leash can still be scratched for fighting or attempting to fight. One dog off the leash milling among dogs that are tied is not a good idea. One dog getting a chance to straighten out a bad track others had trouble on with no pressure from anything because they happened to quit the track they were on and come in late is not a good idea. The dog that won't hunt more than 15 feet but you walk it in on the momma and kittens the hunting dogs treed allowing that dog to get 225 on a coon you walked it to is not a good idea. Those are the reasons a dog that is at a tree must be leashed no questions asked.

Nobody is saying a dog truly just tracking through the area will get the call to be leashed. For one thing the judge isn't going to have time to realize it is there and ask for it to be leashed it will have already went on. Besides that it ain't gonna be caught either it's on a track and you ain't gonna be able to run down a dog that is tracking. That dog will be fine. I have never seen one like that asked to be handled in the whole time I have been competition hunting (Since the late 80s early90s).

Discussing two different rules at the same time can get confusing but in this case the reason we are talking about both is that they go together so much so it's hard not to.

Old Post 06-02-2019 04:40 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote