UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Black and Tan Colored Redbones
Do you have experience with black/tan colored redbones?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, have had them born here 48 27.91%
No, never had them - never heard of them 28 16.28%
Heard of it happening 82 47.67%
No way, a redbone can not be black/tan colored 14 8.14%
Total: 172 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

Black and Tan Colored Redbones

How many of you have seen them?
How common do you think they are?
Do they seem to creep up in certain lines or does anyone here have genetic knowledge to share how it happens? As in both parents need to be carrier, etc.
Throw back to... ?

And, yes, I'm asking because I now got my first! and second... and third... UGH! Yes, I'm disappointed and not sure how to handle this litter but I'm not going to hide them, either. I'd like to learn more.

And they are from (DNA'd) bloodlines that can't be beat and yes, I'm 1,000,000% certain there was nobody peeking over my fence that shouldn't have been. LOL We kennel everyone here and we walk them on leads for supervised breedings.

I understand it happens and that many/most breeders knock them in the heads when they are born. I'm willing to take the hit and do right by these gorgeous babies. It's by my choice that they found their way into the world so they are my responsibility to care for.

They are less than 12 hours old and the eldest has this odd red tint. A red and tan? LOL The others are still wet. Will be curious to see what the colors look like in a few days.

I'm willing to share pedigrees, photos and even videos for the sake of an educational discussion but will not if the conversation becomes flames. Educate me and I'll add to the melting pot of knowledge/experience.

As a writer, I'd like to really research this and write up an article on it so VERY appreciative for informed replies for that reason as well.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

The only time that you should look down on anyone is when you're helping them up.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:32 PM
Janet Ford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Janet Ford Click here to Send Janet Ford a Private Message Click Here to Email Janet Ford Visit Janet Ford's homepage! Find more posts by Janet Ford Add Janet Ford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justin_Cox
UKC Forum Member

I would like to see one, if anybody has a pictures. I have never heard of one.

(A man is only as good as his word.)

AKC Dobermans

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:39 PM
Justin_Cox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_Cox Click here to Send Justin_Cox a Private Message Visit Justin_Cox's homepage! Find more posts by Justin_Cox Add Justin_Cox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ST_CRK_KENNELS
UKC Forum Member

Don't know about any pure bred dogs, but when I started out a man that lived down the road from me gave me two pups. They were half Red Bone and Half Walker. There were seven pups. 1 colored identical to a B&T, 3 colored like Red Bones and 3 Colored like Walkers.

**'PR' JR'S SHOW ME BLACK SIS** Gr Nite Ch Isom'sTimber x Isom's Josie R.I.P.)
**CGN CGCH 'PR' S & JR's Show Me Bella**
**CNC 'PR' O'Neal's Locktite Little River D** (Co-Owned with Russell O'Neal)
(GrNite Ch Gr Ch "PR" Coulter's Timbuktu X Nite Ch Gr Ch CCH "PR" Little River Jessie Jr HTX)
**'PR' Stouts Creek Jessie II** (Gr Nite Ch 'PR' Isom's Show Me Black Timber x Nite Ch Gr Ch 'PR' Little River Jessie Jr HTX)
**'PR' Stouts Creek Gator**
**'PR' Stouts Creek Hooker**
(GrNite Ch Gr Ch "PR" Coulter's Timbuktu X GrNite Ch Gr Ch "PR" Faulkner's Amy)
SHOW YOUR DOGS ON THE TREE
NOT THE BENCH!!!!!

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:39 PM
ST_CRK_KENNELS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ST_CRK_KENNELS Click here to Send ST_CRK_KENNELS a Private Message Click Here to Email ST_CRK_KENNELS Find more posts by ST_CRK_KENNELS Add ST_CRK_KENNELS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE-B
UKC Forum Member

Years back it wasnt unheard of but havent in quite a fews years ifn i recall rite there was a time that redbones would throw a B&T Every 5 to 6 generations an that came from 2 old very reputable redbone breeders

Old Post 08-10-2009 10:15 PM
MIKE-B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE-B Click here to Send MIKE-B a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE-B Find more posts by MIKE-B Add MIKE-B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TNridgerunner
I would like to see one, if anybody has a pictures. I have never heard of one.

I'll share photos today or tomorrow so you all can see. I'll also upload a video to youtube and share the link.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

The only time that you should look down on anyone is when you're helping them up.

Old Post 08-10-2009 10:33 PM
Janet Ford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Janet Ford Click here to Send Janet Ford a Private Message Click Here to Email Janet Ford Visit Janet Ford's homepage! Find more posts by Janet Ford Add Janet Ford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE-B
Years back it wasnt unheard of but havent in quite a fews years ifn i recall rite there was a time that redbones would throw a B&T Every 5 to 6 generations an that came from 2 old very reputable redbone breeders

Would you mind sharing the line that they were from? Mine go back to some very favored lines as well. Both parents go back to the Bare Necessities dog. He is the grandsire of the sire and Dutch is the sire of my dam. Excellent lines that I put forth extra effort to get. Improving feet and head and though mine have always been dark, they are even darker now.... yeah, minus the b/t thing. LOL that REALLY darkened up things! hahaha

I was sooo excited about this litter and wanted to keep back a girl. Now I don't dare.

And no, I have no intentions of getting rid of either parent. I believe in the quality of these dogs. I just won't breed them together next time as the genes must be locking up to cause this. I'll breed her to my Famous Amos boy instead.

I have always gotten pups from this stud that made me say "Is it...???" but then once fully dried they were just incredibly dark. No questions this time. Although the one still looks really red hued. Doubt they will fool me and turn red.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 08-10-2009 10:41 PM
Justin_Cox
UKC Forum Member

thanks, you can send it to my email if you dont care.

AKC Dobermans

Old Post 08-11-2009 12:38 AM
Justin_Cox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_Cox Click here to Send Justin_Cox a Private Message Visit Justin_Cox's homepage! Find more posts by Justin_Cox Add Justin_Cox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim MACHA
UKC Forum Member

I would calm down

I have seen this before in new borns. Within a couple of weeks, they will change and you will end up with some dark red puppies. Chill out and you will see.

Good people do not need laws to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws (Plato)

Old Post 08-11-2009 01:17 AM
Tim MACHA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim MACHA Click here to Send Tim MACHA a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim MACHA Find more posts by Tim MACHA Add Tim MACHA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
topdog
UKC Forum Member

Good advice

Listen to Tim, lots of pups look very black when born and shortly thereafter but they lighten up and turn red in time...usually nothing to worry about.

Unrealistic expectations are a roadblock to success, judge your dogs by what they are ready to give not by what you wish they'd do.

Old Post 08-11-2009 01:40 AM
topdog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for topdog Click here to Send topdog a Private Message Click Here to Email topdog Visit topdog's homepage! Find more posts by topdog Add topdog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s/s
UKC Forum Member

Re: I would calm down

quote:
Originally posted by Tim MACHA
I have seen this before in new borns. Within a couple of weeks, they will change and you will end up with some dark red puppies. Chill out and you will see.

LMBO !!!!!! " CHILL OUT !! THEY WILL LIGHTEN UP WHEN THEY DRY!!" LOL !! LOL !!
I remember these words so clearly !!

I am sorry Tim, I don't mean any harm in laughing about part of your comment. Hehe !! What you said reminded me so much of what my husband was telling me as he laid in bed while I ranted about B&T puppies being born from one of our Redbones...

Old Post 08-11-2009 01:43 AM
s/s is offline Click Here to See the Profile for s/s Click here to Send s/s a Private Message Click Here to Email s/s Visit s/s's homepage! Find more posts by s/s Add s/s to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chiggers
UKC Forum Member

I havent been around any Redbones for years but it used to be fairly common, Chocolate ones also.

Old Post 08-11-2009 01:54 AM
Chiggers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chiggers Click here to Send Chiggers a Private Message Click Here to Email Chiggers Find more posts by Chiggers Add Chiggers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

Re: I would calm down

quote:
Originally posted by Tim MACHA
Chill out and you will see.

Can you repeat that part?

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 08-11-2009 02:28 AM
Justin_Cox
UKC Forum Member

I think it would be cool to have a female redbone that is a black and tan in colors, I wonder what color of pups would it throw. so s/s did those pups stay black and tan or did they become a dark red. cool picks yall, hey Janet Ford have you desided how much you would want for one if they stay that color.

AKC Dobermans

Old Post 08-11-2009 02:33 AM
s/s
UKC Forum Member

Both parents go back to the Bare Necessities dog. He is the grandsire of the sire and Dutch is the sire of my dam.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~

Hey Janet, Sabrina here. How have ya been doin'? Pretty good here.

You gotta go deeper than Baloo..He may be the most recent in common in both of your pedigrees, but, I think you will be finding out that it goes way, way deeper than him....Do you have a 7 generation ped on your hounds? Baloo is also the grand sire of my Bo, which is the sire of the pups in the picture above...BUT, Gracie has nothing in common with Bo's 3 generation pedigree. Nothing in common at all until you get into the 5th, 6th and 7th generation.

Last edited by s/s on 08-11-2009 at 02:38 AM

Old Post 08-11-2009 02:35 AM
s/s is offline Click Here to See the Profile for s/s Click here to Send s/s a Private Message Click Here to Email s/s Visit s/s's homepage! Find more posts by s/s Add s/s to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for posting your photo, s/s. Not many people will.
May I ask what lines they are?
I'll post the pedigrees of these pups soon. Right now I'm just exhausted from my all night hawk watch and delivery with this litter. Hubby and I take shifts in our whelping room. We do not leave them AT ALL for the first 1-2 wks. He gets the night shift so I get to go night-night soon. I'll post the pedigree and maybe a link to the video I took if I can get it uploaded tomorrow sometime.

What became of those b/t pups, s/s? How did you manage the advertising of them? I know it happens but how do you convince puppy buyers that they may be 'freaks' but they aren't mutts? These are some kick BUTT lines in these pups.

Chocolate ones... hmmm.... do you think maybe the girl I have with the wild red 'glaze' over her may be chocolate? It's so hard to see in the photo but look by her ear. All of her black has a red hue to it when the light hits it. It is not red tipped and the base hairs are not red, either. It's like a metallic red affect.

Would love to see more pics of black and tan colored redbones. Anyone have some to share?

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 08-11-2009 02:42 AM
s/s
UKC Forum Member

YES !!

All three of mine stayed VERY, VERY B&T !! I kept them until they were 8 weeks old. I wish I had taken more pics of this litter, but I didn't. What a shame, huh? Anyway, I can put my hands on one of these pups. The other 2 have been passed around and I have lost track of them. I can't tell ya how many times I have said I was going to get some pics of her and I keep forgetting.
SHE IS BEAUTIFUL !! She does hunt also. She made a very nice pleasure hound. Her owner is very happy with her.

Old Post 08-11-2009 02:45 AM
s/s
UKC Forum Member

ADVERTISING THEM?

LOL...I didn't...Didn't have too !! I had an ad for Redbone pups and when folks come to look, they fell in love with the B&T's. They all said they wanted the pups for pleasure hunting and no need for papers...

The one I do still know of her where abouts is one of 2 pleasure hunting hounds that these folks own. Both are females. My B&T pup and thier other is a Redbone.

I think your best chance to discuss this with someone is to get into a private conversation with some of the older Redbone breeders...I will tell ya this, they can tell ya exactly where this "may" have cropped up from....But, the truth is, that you are gonna have a hard, hard time getting anyone to talk truth on what was what in 6, 7, 8, 9 and even 10 generations back in some cases. Which is really a shame...Because these same hounds that this is coming from is in most, not all, but most, of our bloodlines at least once ! Several in most cases....

Last edited by s/s on 08-11-2009 at 03:06 AM

Old Post 08-11-2009 03:00 AM
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

no redbone expert.......

quote:
Originally posted by Janet Ford
....they are from (DNA'd) bloodlines that can't be beat and yes, I'm 1,000,000% certain there was nobody peeking over my fence that shouldn't have been. LOL We kennel everyone here and we walk them on leads for supervised breedings....
but I don't think anybody was peeking over the fence, they was SNEAKING over the fence..... LOL J/K

I realize ur dogs are DNA'd, but this could be coming from 3, 4, 5, or more generations ago...... I'd say some where down the line there was a B&T outcross and the off colored pups r throw backs to that crossing.......

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Last edited by ringtail on 08-11-2009 at 03:07 AM

Old Post 08-11-2009 03:03 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s/s
UKC Forum Member

Re: no redbone expert.......

quote:
Originally posted by ringtail
but I don't think anybody was peeking over the fence, they was SNEAKING over the fence..... LOL J/K

I realize ur dogs are DNA'd, but this could be coming from 3 or 4 generations ago...... I'd say some where down the line there was a B&T outcross and the off colored pups r throw backs to that crossing.......

You are right. It is a throw back...But, I think she is gonna find the common link possibly even further than 3 or 4 generations. It's very possible that this could have come from twice that far back...

Old Post 08-11-2009 03:09 AM
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

My litters are normally all sold long before I even allow visitors to see them. (I'm picky) I have a 2 wk old litter, also sired by the same dog and they have all been sold since before birth. I have 3 people wanting to send deposits towards these. I don't mean advertising as going out to find someone but rather to say "yeah, I have some redbone pups available. Only catch is, some are black and tans..." when someone asks about them. Guess it's all a bit fresh right now and too much whizzing around in my head.

What is super hilarious is I had to return deposits on a black/tan litter that was supposed to be born a week ago and she came up empty of pups. Maybe I should ask them if they would like a redbone dressed up as a black/tan? haha

I had been told "anyone who has been in redbones for any length of time has had a b/t born in one of their litters. If they tell you they haven't, they are lying through their teeth." That was someone on this forum a year or two ago. Sorry but I don't remember who. I just remember the remark because I'd never gotten one and always waited on the other end of that tail wondering if I ever would. Now I get THREE! LOL

TNridgerunner - I'll post updates on them from time to time on here for those who are curious. Got 2 female b/t and 1 male b/t. PM me if you would like to buy one.

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 08-11-2009 03:13 AM
Janet Ford
UKC Forum Member

Or maybe I won't find out at all.

Would love some more people to speak up on the lines they have seen this in. We could all learn from it. This type of stuff fascinates me anyhow. Recessive genes, sex linked... whatever... I'm just as interested in HOW it came about as to WHO it came from. I was told it was a result of throwbacks from the breeds that originally made up the redbones to begin with, not 'fence peekers'. Redbones were not always red...

\/)"(\/
(_o_)

Old Post 08-11-2009 03:16 AM
Sandi
UKC Forum Member

wow...

this is a stupid thought... when walker pups are born the "red heads" are black to start with. Could this possibly be the case? I am in awe but just had that thought pop into my head. Good luck no matter what color they may turn or not

Heart.throbcoonhounds@gmail.com

Old Post 08-11-2009 03:31 AM
Sandi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sandi Click here to Send Sandi a Private Message Click Here to Email Sandi Find more posts by Sandi Add Sandi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

you're right s/s......

quote:
Originally posted by s/s
You are right. It is a throw back...But, I think she is gonna find the common link possibly even further than 3 or 4 generations. It's very possible that this could have come from twice that far back...
I went back and changed my post to reflect 3,4,5 or more generations and that may not be far enough back.... unfortunately the answer could be so far back that records wasn't even kept and she'll never find out...... either way, the color don't make the dog...... I wouldn't cull 'em, I'm sure there r plenty of pleasure hunters that would love to have one of these pups..... it wouldn't bother me to hunt one.....

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 08-11-2009 03:33 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TQS_Kennel
UKC Forum Member

there is a guy down the road that has raised and hunted red bones for years, started with ukc reg. dogs and has kept his own records. About 4 or 5 years ago he had a litter of 7, 2 were and are B&T in color.

[color=#FF0000][b]
{R.I.P} GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Bolden's High Dollar Sackett II ~ Performance Sire 2010

We also raise Miniature Schnauzer Puppies: www.TrammellsQualitySchnauzers.com

Old Post 08-11-2009 04:26 AM
TQS_Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TQS_Kennel Click here to Send TQS_Kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email TQS_Kennel Visit TQS_Kennel's homepage! Find more posts by TQS_Kennel Add TQS_Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
s/s
UKC Forum Member

Janet...Here are the links to Amazing Gracie & Bo's(Flaming Dynasty) pages on our site. You can see thier 4 generation pedigree there.

GRACIE
http://tiptopwebsite.com/websites/i...eek&page=17

BO
http://tiptopwebsite.com/websites/i...eek&page=10

Hey, you may be able to do some pedigree researching from
www.worldclassbreeder.com
Some of the data base is still not so complete.....While you are there maybe you could add some info.

Old Post 08-11-2009 04:45 AM