UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Adviser vs. rule book
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
and now another big one open to major controversies not having to see it to scratch it. August 2018 a dog can be scratched for fighting or off game even if no one has seen it because all these judges should be so "honorable".

GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA
GRCH GRNITECH PKC GCH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMI-FINALIST. 2016 UKC TOP 20. 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE. 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4. 2018 MO PKC STATE CH
NITECH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION

I had to read this one twice ! Now i'm going to have to wait to get home to look in mag to see more details on this one .
This is ABSURD !!!!!

How in the world could a "judge" prove either of these ?

This is nothing new. It's been this way ever since I attended my first UKC nite hunt. It's not about proving anything. It's a common sense call based on common sense. Best way to I can put it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-23-2018 03:53 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, there is that "common sense rule" popping back up. I can't find it anywhere in my rulebook. It must be in the advisor. Does anyone know what page it is on?

Old Post 10-23-2018 04:24 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
This is nothing new. It's been this way ever since I attended my first UKC nite hunt. It's not about proving anything. It's a common sense call based on common sense. Best way to I can put it.

First off I find it HILARIOUS that you would know my dog better than i so lets just say this....
If my dog was "possibly" running junk and you "thought" it was and you scratched me to get an advantage cause im putting it on you and you are wanting to eliminate me and then a few minutes later my dog gets treed . Then What ?

Old Post 10-23-2018 04:29 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Advisor

Personally I hate the advisor and feel like its as reliable as this forum for information. For instance Jennifer and I were arguing the fact you cant hunt a dog on puppy papers (which I found in the advisor back in 2016) then she pulls up the updated one and shows me that rule was revised and now you can as long as you get the papers sent in... it was very misleading in that instance and if it was a MOH kind of question I would have fought it until I was blue in the face or until documentation was supplied to me. Shawn sometimes earns his MOH wages when it comes to Lost Creek Kennel Club!

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 10-23-2018 04:41 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
First off I find it HILARIOUS that you would know my dog better than i so lets just say this....
If my dog was "possibly" running junk and you "thought" it was and you scratched me to get an advantage cause im putting it on you and you are wanting to eliminate me and then a few minutes later my dog gets treed . Then What ?

I shouldn't be judging if I'm using my authority as the judge to eliminate your dog.

I've been hunting dogs for a long time and have had many situations where I thought there's a good possibility that the dogs were running fast game but couldn't/didn't make the call. There's also been occasions when it was painfully obvious and there was no question. When there's no question, is when you should make the call. That's what I meant by suggesting common sense.

Old Post 10-23-2018 04:52 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I shouldn't be judging if I'm using my authority as the judge to eliminate your dog.

I've been hunting dogs for a long time and have had many situations where I thought there's a good possibility that the dogs were running fast game but couldn't/didn't make the call. There's also been occasions when it was painfully obvious and there was no question. When there's no question, is when you should make the call. That's what I meant by suggesting common sense.

I agree with THAT but the both of us know thats not how it goes these days Neither of us fell out of a tree and bumped our heads.

OK OK Ok Ok ...Take the advantage part outta my question and answer it.
If my dog was "possibly" running junk and you "thought" it was and you scratched me and then a few minutes later my dog gets treed . Then What ? You gonna remove the scratch ?

Old Post 10-23-2018 05:15 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Haha.....

How about we flip roles and you tell me how you would rule on my dog that you are, without conviction, fully convinced is running fast game out of the country but then eventually falls off and trees a coon. That can and does happen, right or wrong?

Old Post 10-23-2018 05:37 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have seen a lot of dogs that run trash and then switch over to a coon and get treed. Usually it is pretty obvious when they do. Do you have to see the deer that your dog is running before you shock him? It is the same way with a dog fight. Do you have to see the dogs fighting to know that there was a dog fight?

Old Post 10-23-2018 05:40 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Toadhill, we can debate and agree or not agree on various topics. When I say that, I hope you're not taking it to be offensive or criticizing your opinion, as that's not the intent at all. I love a good rule discussion.

There's a rule change year coming up next year. If this is one you'd like to see the criteria change when it comes to scratching dogs for running fast game or fighting, then propose a good change.

Wouldn't it be nice if the rules were so perfect that everyone agreed with every one of them and no one would have any reason to debate them?

Old Post 10-23-2018 05:45 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Hey ,hey y'all red dog guys settle down ! Believe it or not there are dogs that can run a coon fast enough to make you think it's a deer.

It's called a treeing walker you know the ones that are winning all the major hunts lol.

Tar

Old Post 10-23-2018 05:46 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Holy cow..... we must be getting out of line bad for Tar to have to step in.

Slow day on the front lines.

Old Post 10-23-2018 05:48 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:

There are many very good honest judges in this sport but there are also to many unscrupulous judges and cast members to have a rule like this. Also, as Toad Hill mentioned the knowing of how a dog runs a track when they have never hunted with a dog and are now judging on what they "think" a dog is doing. Example, there is a dog in the cast that can flat out fly on the ground, he must be running a deer no other dog in the cast is moving like that he is scratched a short time later the dog trees with a coon. Even if this judge honestly thought the dog was running a deer it wasn't or what if you drew the cast of unscrupulous handlers and your dog was beating the pants off them it's to tempting of a way to eliminate competition. Put it on the flip side and have an exceptional slow track dog who beats and bangs around on a track it could be said he is cold trailing a coyote and it could be scratched.
You mention that judges judge what they cannot see throughout the rest of the cast. Judges take strike and tree calls based on hearing a dog bark when the dog is moving and tree calls when it is stationary. Neither are difficult or require any interpretation by the judge it is just moving or not. And also not scratchable.
This decision to allow a non-hunting judge or judge and cast members whether honest or not the the ability to scratch their competition is a bad move. It should be policy to allow all dogs to compete for the entire hunt unless their is zero doubt that a dog or handler needs scratched leaving decisions up to things you cannot see nor accurately judge is leaves to much leeway for error of judgement or the bad apples to take advantage of a rule.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-23-2018 05:48 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Holy cow..... we must be getting out of line bad for Tar to have to step in.

Slow day on the front lines.

Slow here too!! Doing laundry eating frozen burritos lol. Sure be glad when it starts getting dark at 6:00. Tired of fishing lol.

Tar

Old Post 10-23-2018 06:00 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

But on the other hand if you have to "see it" to minus a dog, they can run deer all night or fight and run dogs off from every tree all night and never get scratched. There is good and bad in every rule. That is why there are so many arguements about them. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.

An unscrupulous judge can take advantage of any rule. What if you tree your dog and the judge says that he thinks he moved and minuses him. Should we do away with that rule or change it to say that you have to see them move? Comp coonhunting sure is complicated.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-23-2018 at 06:05 PM

Old Post 10-23-2018 06:01 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
....Doing laundry eating frozen burritos......
Tar [/B]

Now that is a visual that I can do without. Are you washing the dishes in between loads?

Old Post 10-23-2018 06:09 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I'm also going to add what about the definition of attempting to fight how can that be judged from afar? Per UKC Rulebook... Attempting to Fight: 1) Showing aggressive behavior AND (NOTICE IT DOESN'T SAY OR) 2) Interfering with another dog(s) during the authority of the judge.
How can one judge whether interference with a dog or dogs has taken place when you are not in a place to see what is happening? Isn't this one of the reasons that a judge can be at the tree within the 5 minutes?
One more thing while I'm on this rules thing... 18 Definitions Babbling: When a dog opens three times or has been struck where no track is evident. Shouldn't this definition just be opening where no track is evident, or replace the OR with AND. According to the current definition any time a dog barks more than three times it is babbling.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-23-2018 06:16 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

The majority of judging a nite hunt requires using your ears and good judgement. Can all agree on that one?

Old Post 10-23-2018 06:17 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Yep.......... Mowed the grass yesterday crap won't quit growing lol. Recording Mrs tars soap oprees lol. It gets dark I am outa here !!

Tar

Old Post 10-23-2018 06:18 PM
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
I'm also going to add what about the definition of attempting to fight how can that be judged from afar? Per UKC Rulebook... Attempting to Fight: 1) Showing aggressive behavior AND (NOTICE IT DOESN'T SAY OR) 2) Interfering with another dog(s) during the authority of the judge.
How can one judge whether interference with a dog or dogs has taken place when you are not in a place to see what is happening? Isn't this one of the reasons that a judge can be at the tree within the 5 minutes?
One more thing while I'm on this rules thing... 18 Definitions Babbling: When a dog opens three times or has been struck where no track is evident. Shouldn't this definition just be opening where no track is evident, or replace the OR with AND. According to the current definition any time a dog barks more than three times it is babbling.

Lordy she's on a role today! Should I ask how long can I lead/not lead my dog away from a tree before turning it loose?