UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ticks
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Ticks

What are some things you use to keep ticks off of you during summer time hunting? These ticks here will make you pay!!!

Last edited by Creason on 05-13-2012 at 02:03 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-13-2012 03:37 AM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Iron
UKC Forum Member

a swaller of vinegar a day will keep them off you.

GRCH GRNITECH"PR" Blue Iron Brummy HTX

Top 100 Finalist 2012 UKC World Hunt.

King of Hunt 2013 BBOA National Bluetick Days

Tree Blue

I use and recommend Backwoods Supplies

Old Post 05-13-2012 03:52 AM
Blue Iron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Iron Click here to Send Blue Iron a Private Message Click Here to Email Blue Iron Find more posts by Blue Iron Add Blue Iron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
englishbuddy
UKC Forum Member

IVERMECTIN !!!!!!

Old Post 05-13-2012 04:09 AM
englishbuddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for englishbuddy Click here to Send englishbuddy a Private Message Find more posts by englishbuddy Add englishbuddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

btt

Old Post 05-13-2012 10:42 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Iron
a swaller of vinegar a day will keep them off you.
This and it will keep chiggers off to most times. I Musta got in a nest of them this weekend though. I got eat up. Well about 10 of em but that's enough lol. Prolly been a 100 without the vinegar.

Old Post 05-14-2012 12:52 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Preventick

It's a collar that I got at the vet. Dog was plumb ate up with ticks before I put it on, no ticks after 48 hours with it on. The downside is it's expensive and only lasts 3 months but dang if it don't work better than anything I ever seen for ticks. Don't work for fleas, but ticks are gone.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...d=0CNkBEPMCMAE#

Old Post 05-14-2012 02:54 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

I am starting the vinegar today, desperate times call for desperate measures....though I am think about the dogs, I am a little more concerned with how the ticks are feasting on me right now...

Old Post 05-14-2012 03:08 AM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

For people use 100% DEET. Works like a charm.

Old Post 05-14-2012 03:15 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dirtdevil
Banned

The really strong deet is good , but putting Sevin dust in a sock and dusting your clothes real good will keep all the bugs and no see-ums off ... it's a whole nuther level of bug free relief.

Old Post 05-14-2012 03:49 AM
Dirtdevil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dirtdevil Click here to Send Dirtdevil a Private Message Find more posts by Dirtdevil Add Dirtdevil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
osagebl
UKC Forum Member

it also says do not on skin.this is 100 % deet

Old Post 05-14-2012 04:55 AM
osagebl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for osagebl Click here to Send osagebl a Private Message Click Here to Email osagebl Find more posts by osagebl Add osagebl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

I appreciate the tips

Old Post 05-14-2012 10:25 PM
Trey M
UKC Forum Member

Sulfur works good. I survey for a living and chiggers and ticks is our worst nightmare. Anything with sulfer in it. You can put diesel on your boots but wouldn't recommend it. Deet works for a little while but wears off. Get you a sock and but some powdered sulfur in it and beat your britches and boots.

SKUNA RIVER PYRO @ STUD
Trey Miller
Cell # 706-577-4124
Email lowhillkennels@gmail.com
(Copy And Paste Video)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0TYBB5mhK8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
**Skuna River Bark + Schultz's Stylish Coma = Pyro**

Old Post 05-14-2012 11:20 PM
Trey M is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trey M Click here to Send Trey M a Private Message Find more posts by Trey M Add Trey M to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Where would a feller get powdered sulfer?

Old Post 05-15-2012 01:57 AM
miketalk777
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Creason
Where would a feller get powdered sulfer?

I know alot of ppl get it from feed and seed stores. Alot of older ppl belive it keeps snakes away.

Old Post 05-15-2012 02:11 AM
miketalk777 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for miketalk777 Click here to Send miketalk777 a Private Message Click Here to Email miketalk777 Find more posts by miketalk777 Add miketalk777 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

I worked for a summer hand clearing for a campground. We took a salt tablet and a sulphur pill everyday. After it got in your system your clothes smelled like a marsh at low tide and by the end of the summer all my work clothes fell apart at the seams. LOL. I think that sulfer turned to battery acid.

I don't spray down before I go hunting now but I take a can of Off. If I get into a bed of chiggers then I spray it on and it kills them right now,but it won't keep them off. Little ticks too.

Ticks are just ticks but chiggers are like mite size and you might get thousands of them. Redbugs are a different thing but I have not gotten a one of them since I reached puberty, but they used to eat me alive.

Old Post 05-15-2012 02:14 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
silentnight
UKC Forum Member

as for hounds iv heard y tex python cattle tags work great for most everything....as for the human....i would have to be open to anything because i havnt heard much other than the sevin dust trick..

Pr Yorks Back Country Skeeter

Old Post 05-15-2012 02:36 AM
silentnight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for silentnight Click here to Send silentnight a Private Message Find more posts by silentnight Add silentnight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dirtdevil
Banned

People used to go on about how that Skin so Soft worked to keep bugs off ... and dryer sheets in your pockets and socks ....

I think alot of that might deter bugs , but in the brush rubbing them on you or having a jillion ticks fall from trees in your hair calls for more than a deterant ... it calls for heavy artillery like the strong deet or sevin .

Old Post 05-15-2012 02:38 AM
Dirtdevil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dirtdevil Click here to Send Dirtdevil a Private Message Find more posts by Dirtdevil Add Dirtdevil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Dirtdevil
People used to go on about how that Skin so Soft worked to keep bugs off ... and dryer sheets in your pockets and socks ....

All I have heard Skin So Soft used around hear for is sand knats or noseeums. Most people call it Skin so stink..

Old Post 05-15-2012 02:53 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
matt2
UKC Forum Member

An older fellow I hunted with keep a medicine bottle with powder sulfur in it. About once a week he would dip his knife blade in it, about 1/4 of the blade and eat it. Swore by it.

Old Post 05-15-2012 04:18 AM
matt2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for matt2 Click here to Send matt2 a Private Message Find more posts by matt2 Add matt2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

You have to watch about talking about skin so soft. It's one of those myths that people want to believe.

Who knows, maybe it does work for a very few people that have a certian chemistry that may mix with it.

But when they put it to the test by placing folks into the bite tanks it just flat didn't work.

DEET works to keep chiggers, ticks, noseeums, redbugs and misquitoes.

I don't know how good Sevin dust works on those things but it does a heck of a job in the garden and I bet it just might work too. Haven't researched that.

The way I use the DEET is to spray it round my britches legs, especially the ankles etc, and my shirt sleeves at the wrists. Then I will squirt it in my hand and rub it on my neck, ears and face.

If you don't sweat too much it will last all night and I won't get a single bite/chigger/tick. The dang misquitos don't even buzz your ears.

But it does stink LOL.

Old Post 05-15-2012 04:20 AM
Dirtdevil
Banned

I strip to nothing and slather Deet on ... and dust my clothes and hair with Sevin ... I'm like the Princess and the Pea when it comes to bugs on me ...

Old Post 05-15-2012 11:16 AM
l.lyle
Banned

I sometimes don't take all the precautions I should in the garden. But Sevin runs from a 5% dust to a 80% wettable pwder. It is in the Carbamate family of insecticides. It is a colinesterase inhibitor. Cholinesterase keeps nerve impulses in check. Supposedly it is a carcinogen classed by EPA.

Sevin is something most of us have used all our lives and get some on us when we use it. It is not worth a nickel for fleas around the kennel. I think I would find something else than deliberately put it on myself night after night. Just to be technical, it is not "labelled" for that use.

Old Post 05-15-2012 07:31 PM
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I had 2 ticks on me earlier in the year and after that I treated all of my clothes with Permethin spray. You can buy it at a sporting goods store and you treat your clothing and let them dry, it is not for you skin. I haven't had a tick on me since.

I actually bought concentrate from the TSC and made my own spray and was able to make about a gallon of the stuff for $10 when the commercial stuff costs $15 for 7oz. IF I am still on the board a year from now I didn't poison myself doing it......

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 05-15-2012 08:01 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

wonder if you could make a sulfer spray?

Old Post 05-15-2012 09:44 PM