UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > whats the best way to start training an almost 4 month old walker pup?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RRCOONHUNTER
New UKC Forum Member

whats the best way to start training an almost 4 month old walker pup?

I just bought a walker pup, its almost 4 months old and i havent been hunting to awfully long, figured i might could get some tips off of someone. i appreciate anyones help.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2004 10:22 PM
RRCOONHUNTER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RRCOONHUNTER Click here to Send RRCOONHUNTER a Private Message Click Here to Email RRCOONHUNTER Find more posts by RRCOONHUNTER Add RRCOONHUNTER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Savage
New UKC Forum Member

not much to do with a 4 month old pup. whats the hurry?? let him be a pup and grow up some. let him run and play as much as possible, ride him around in the dog box, let him get used to stuff like that, you got plenty of time for him to be a coondog.
just my opinion since you asked for some. Good Luck!

Old Post 02-08-2004 10:56 PM
Mark Savage is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Savage Click here to Send Mark Savage a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Savage Find more posts by Mark Savage Add Mark Savage to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimmie legrand
UKC Forum Member

Well we hunt black and tans, but as they say a hound is a hound. We always play with ours with a coon skin and take them to the woods during the day and let them run and play and learn to get around , over and under things so when you do start hunting them they are more able to get around at night. Also is a good time to start letting them know that if they come across something you don't want them to run, verbally let them know that this is not what they need to play with. You need to use a voice that is stern and tell them no. We also use coon scent and lay trails for them to follow just not to far at first. Hope this is of some help. -Maxine-

REBEL TANK
my girls rebels blck raven rebels honeydo and rebels ruby
the freak dozer

Old Post 02-08-2004 10:57 PM
jimmie legrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jimmie legrand Click here to Send jimmie legrand a Private Message Click Here to Email jimmie legrand Find more posts by jimmie legrand Add jimmie legrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chad hatchett
UKC Forum Member

best thing to do with a four month old is what four more.

Old Post 02-08-2004 10:59 PM
chad hatchett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chad hatchett Click here to Send chad hatchett a Private Message Click Here to Email chad hatchett Find more posts by chad hatchett Add chad hatchett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myntchfemale
UKC Forum Member

Have Fun

Walks, so he noes who is leading who, maybe shoot a 22cal while he eats to get him use to that, some box loading, play time alot, a walk a week in the woods if possible and play with him there. THATS ABOUT IT

Enjoy this time because you are shaping him for the future and dont break his spirit in any way yet.

ringtail2@earthlink.net

Mike Eversole

Old Post 02-09-2004 12:19 AM
myntchfemale is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myntchfemale Click here to Send myntchfemale a Private Message Find more posts by myntchfemale Add myntchfemale to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RRCOONHUNTER
New UKC Forum Member

i also have a mut dog that we picked up when we first moved here and all she wants to do is play w/ my coon dog, the mut is much bigger and jumps all over her, will this effect the way the coon dog acts?

Old Post 02-09-2004 02:12 AM
RRCOONHUNTER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RRCOONHUNTER Click here to Send RRCOONHUNTER a Private Message Click Here to Email RRCOONHUNTER Find more posts by RRCOONHUNTER Add RRCOONHUNTER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote