UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid problems running wild.
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Dog food

Science diet dog food has TBE iodizedsalt in it if you feed it it will get rid of most of the thyroid problems jmo

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-20-2019 04:57 AM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

CURE THYROID PROBS, GET A RED DOG

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 04-20-2019 12:49 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you take a dog and get him tested and his T4 level is 1.4-1.7, is he a "thyroid dog"? If you start giving him pills, he will become a "thyroid dog" because his thyroid gland will stop making it's own thyroid hormone. I wonder just how many people are making their dogs "thyroid dogs" in order to try and get more out of them?

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:25 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Richard i always had a bicycle made out of parts I got at the dump. Those rich kids had those fancy ones that were way faster than mine and beat me racing. I wanted to be like them. These boys with deep pockets ain’t worrying what that stuff does to their dogs they want to win hunts and they do. The younger ones want to be like them. And those guys will breed their dog knowing it because they don’t care if you get good pups or not they don’t care if they come out cross eyed. Anouther thought since big drug got the pee fined out of them for getting caught causing the opioid crisis. Maybe they decided to push the pink pills for a nice profit I aint got thyroid but I bet I could go to the doctor today and come home with some pink pills.

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2019 01:52 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
.... And those guys will breed their dog knowing it because they don’t care if you get good pups or not they don’t care if they come out cross eyed.Tar

Tarbaby, do you read what you type before you post it? Do you really think that "those guys" don't care how good the pups they produce are or that the pups come out crosseyed? Does that really make any sense to you? Did you take too many little pink pills this morning?

Old Post 04-20-2019 02:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I figured you as a unicycle kid, because, less parts needed to build and the cool factor

Old Post 04-20-2019 02:07 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Tarbaby, do you read what you type before you post it? Do you really think that "those guys" don't care how good the pups they produce are or that the pups come out crosseyed? Does that really make any sense to you? Did you take too many little pink pills this morning?

They want to win big dollars simple as that how many females did meltdown breed ? I ain’t talking about ole sparkly that goes to two hunts a year. I got a buddy on here that is supposed to take the pink pills he refused told the doctor no !! He is in his 70’s and takes really good care of a couple of the neighbor lady’s often lol. Go ahead and take them give them to ole Boone too ! Belong to the new pink movement lol.

If you don’t take pink you cannot think !!

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2019 02:20 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I have said it before and I will say it again... Check your dog food. Potassium iodide is being put into dog food as an iodine additive.. Look it up!! It is a medicine to SHRINK the thyroid. Then look at the additives to increase iodine. Kelp, fish oil, calcium iodate, salt....look up iodine sources on the web and see how many are in your dog food! Shinking the thyroid then over loading iodine...
Laugh all you want. Was this problem rampant before they started to "improve" dog food? Before they took grain out? Search my previous posts... Then laugh away.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Last edited by harleydan1956 on 04-20-2019 at 04:01 PM

Old Post 04-20-2019 02:38 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, I haven't gotten them yet. You sure do seem to know a lot about them. I didn't even know they are pink. Maybe when I start them, I can keep up with old Boone. And I sure wouldn't give him any. I can't keep up with him now.

Old Post 04-20-2019 02:41 PM
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

A couple of my thoughts on Thyroid....

We are seeing more thyroid dogs because we are testing them more for it...plain and simple. Every time someone’s dog farts cross ways they get rushed off to the vet for a thyroid test. Some how in the coon dog world the Thyroid has turned into this magical performance hormone. I’m not saying it doesn’t or can’t effect performance...it does. The extent to which it does is nearly impossible to measure. The classic example is ole Joe looks like puke for a few nights...goes to vet and owner wants thyroid check. Its low normal to below normal and owner wants meds to fix his dog...so thyroid meds get started and magically two nights later Joe is back to his old form. What most hunters don’t understand is that it would likely take 1-3 months to obtain a measurable increase in the dogs thyroid levels.

I have a good friend that is a Purdue trained Vet. He has likened the over treatment of Thyroid in dogs to taking your kid to the doctor for a cold and getting some Amoxicillin. The Amoxicillin does nothing to treat the virus but it sure makes mom and dad feel better.

Just my opinion and again...I do believe there are instances where treatment is certainly beneficial and necessary. The degree to which it affects a dog one way or another...tough to measure scientifically.

Old Post 04-20-2019 02:45 PM
Wes Coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Coffman Click here to Send Wes Coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Coffman Find more posts by Wes Coffman Add Wes Coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I feed victor purple bag ! 12 yr old female cycled and had pups all my dogs will walk your hind end off and have coons in their trees.

Ain’t laughing just think people are trying to find excuses for a sorry dog.

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2019 02:45 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Wes Coffman
...tough to measure scientifically....

Not that tough, you give them pills and they start winning.

Old Post 04-20-2019 03:37 PM
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Not that tough, you give them pills and they start winning.

Exactly...all those red and blue dog owners must be pretty dense. 😂😂😂

Just give’m a pill twice a day...

Old Post 04-20-2019 03:47 PM
Wes Coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Coffman Click here to Send Wes Coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Coffman Find more posts by Wes Coffman Add Wes Coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Wouldn't it be something if you could document whether the top money winning dogs of the last 3-4 yrs were taking thyroid pills or not. Of course even if you could ask them all, the owners/handlers probably wouldn't tell you.

Old Post 04-20-2019 04:09 PM
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Wouldn't it be something if you could document whether the top money winning dogs of the last 3-4 yrs were taking thyroid pills or not. Of course even if you could ask them all, the owners/handlers probably wouldn't tell you.

They are taking more than Thyroid pills you can bet on that....wether they need it or not.

Old Post 04-20-2019 04:11 PM
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

quote:

They are taking more than Thyroid pills you can bet on that....wether they need it or not.

Old Post 04-20-2019 04:11 PM
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I feed victor purple bag ! 12 yr old female cycled and had pups all my dogs will walk your hind end off and have coons in their trees.

Ain’t laughing just think people are trying to find excuses for a sorry dog.

Tar

I feel with dogs, like people, some are affected more. But didn't you state that all the pups had died or am I mistaken?

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 04-20-2019 04:13 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
I am a doctor and I do treat thyroid dysfunction in people including medication and surgery.

Dogs are not people BUT thyroid disease has many causes.

Last Greed: If a dog does NOT need thyroid medication and they give it to them anyway then it will give them excess energy, it will also eventually kill them with an enlarged hart etc. but once they start even if they don't need it it causes the thyroid to regress and if tested after they are taken off they will show low whether they were really low to begin with or not. Who knows how many of them are that way.

So in short, there are many causes of thyroid issues and only one of the reasons is genetics.

This from a doctor. Tar has been telling us this for a while and everybody's laughing at him. A lot of this thyroid trouble could be man-made.

Old Post 04-20-2019 04:34 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Pure Bred has some down sides. No getting around it

Last edited by sleepy head on 04-20-2019 at 05:59 PM

Old Post 04-20-2019 05:32 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:

The first red flag that went up for me was 3-4 years ago. when it was apparently common knowledge that 6 of the top 8 dogs at the PKC world hunt were on thyroid pills. Call it what you want but it ain't no coincidence.

Old Post 04-20-2019 05:51 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Something about big money brings out the best/worst in dogs/handlers. I wonder if any of the dogs in the Final Four at Purina Nationals next weekend will be on thyroid pills?

Old Post 04-20-2019 06:37 PM
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

I had this discussion with vet at All Pets in Altus last week and he told me that the Treeing Walker line is very similar to grey hounds and on the scale, a walker dog will ALWAYS run at the low end. He said this doesn’t mean they need pills, it means they are normal. None of mine are in it and if it takes thyroid enhancement drugs to boost their energy, I don’t want them.

Old Post 04-20-2019 07:28 PM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by harleydan1956
I feel with dogs, like people, some are affected more. But didn't you state that all the pups had died or am I mistaken?

She had 4 and 2 lived I am hunting one and a buddy of mine has the other both tree coons. She layed on the two that died.

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2019 07:40 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid

Just my opinion, but what Tar and several other members have alluded to regarding thyroid dogs is true. I feel like there were and are folks who misused the thyroid meds to hype their dogs up and give them an advantage in the hunts. Those folks done so without the safety or well being of the dogs being considered. All anyone has to do is look up the thyroid and see for themselves the results of low thyroid and high thyroid conditions. Hyperthyroid untreated is just as dangerous as hypothyroid issues. Hereditary is one thing, man made is just not excusable. Dave

Old Post 04-20-2019 09:18 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave in the case me and you know about it was caused by strict inbreeding the owner before there was dna registered out of different females to keep the papers from being stamped inbred. So when the all grand pedigree was being made people stacked that line several times up close to get it and magnified those genetic faults no telling how many times. And the genie was let out of the bottle people were so caught up in the huge profits selling $1,000 pups that they just kept their mouth shut and kept breeding and still do. And all they had to do when 2 yrs later when an unhappy costumer came back with a thyroid dog was to say I guess a tick bit your dog or you shocked it to much or you tied it out on a chain or your feed is no good. But yes people are giving it to dogs that don’t need it it’s a mess my dogs ain’t worth a quarter but the minute I find out I got a thyroid dog it will live no more and everybody else if they don’t do the same should have their dogs neutered!!

Tar

Old Post 04-20-2019 10:02 PM