UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > training them right!!!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
elijah
UKC Forum Member

training them right!!!

ok guys and gals I would like for those of you who train pups and really know how to get them on the right track list how to start to finish. I know a lot of times it depends on each individual pup/dog but generally speaking what all you do.

Example:
3 to 4 Months= drag coon, walks in woods, etc. and how often ???
4to 5 months =???????
5 to 6 months=???????
6-10 months=
10months on

I would really like some details thaks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-20-2014 04:47 PM
elijah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elijah Click here to Send elijah a Private Message Click Here to Email elijah Find more posts by elijah Add elijah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Re: training them right!!!

quote:
Originally posted by elijah
ok guys and gals I would like for those of you who train pups and really know how to get them on the right track list how to start to finish. I know a lot of times it depends on each individual pup/dog but generally speaking what all you do.

Example:
3 to 4 Months= drag coon, walks in woods, etc. and how often ???
4to 5 months =???????
5 to 6 months=???????
6-10 months=
10months on

I would really like some details thaks

3mos - to ten - Pet, feed play with, keep the pen clean
10 mos - On depending on the mental maturity of the pup, start hauling

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 02-20-2014 05:47 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aj2sharp
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't say I can really get one going but exposure is a big one for pups. Carry it everywhere with you and it is use to everything when the hunting starts. It can ride without getting sick, it doesn't coward away when people walk up, and by the time you start hunting it, it should have a great handle on just a lot of exposure.

Old Post 02-20-2014 06:04 PM
aj2sharp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aj2sharp Click here to Send aj2sharp a Private Message Click Here to Email aj2sharp Find more posts by aj2sharp Add aj2sharp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brack carr
UKC Forum Member

before they are three months old I let the kids play with them every day, at about 3mos I take them in the woods and let them run around in the woods in the day time. the hole time I work on making them to coming to me and working them to load, I also watch them in the kennel for them to bark at rabbits ,that is about 5 to 6mos old. then I bring a cage coon out if that goes good the next time I turn the coon loose in front of the pup then let the pup loose, if it sight runs and trees it the next time I do the same thing but don't let the pup see it before you turn it loose,if that go right take it hunting by its self and every once in a while with a old dog

Old Post 02-20-2014 07:01 PM
brack carr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brack carr Click here to Send brack carr a Private Message Click Here to Email brack carr Find more posts by brack carr Add brack carr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
camcooper
UKC Forum Member

hay

Hi I just wait till there 6-8 months old and big enough to keep up with older dog and big enough
Not to get wuped by coon and then I take them with old dog until they run and tree with older dog then I start taking them by their self I don't fool with drags or caged coon

Old Post 02-20-2014 07:04 PM
camcooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for camcooper Click here to Send camcooper a Private Message Click Here to Email camcooper Find more posts by camcooper Add camcooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

born till 4 months - lots of play,tug a war with toys or what ever.

4-5 months- i will train them to come when called and tone break them to come. I will also tease them with a hide at the kennel to get them to bark at it. After i get them trained to come i will start doing drags with a hide that i fleshed and streached. i dont put the hide in a tree because i dont want the pup treeing on sight. I just throw it on the ground or tie it to the base of a tree so when the pup finds it he can play tug a war with it. I use the fleshed and streached hide because it dont rot

6 months or later-time to take them hunting if they are trailing a drag real good and act like they are ready to hunt

Old Post 02-20-2014 07:13 PM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
elijah
UKC Forum Member

thanks guys keep em coming

Old Post 02-20-2014 07:27 PM
elijah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for elijah Click here to Send elijah a Private Message Click Here to Email elijah Find more posts by elijah Add elijah to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

0-4 weeks handle, pet, and talk to them.
4-5 weeks start obedience training and continue.
6 weeks on play and take daily walks.
12 weeks continue to play, obedience train, and expose to woods, water, travel.
Continue woods exposure until it starts to hunt.
Start to hunt night.
Once it trees single out and hunt alone.

I am interested in a pup's natural ability so I don't lay drags or show them a coon any more.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 02-20-2014 08:24 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote