UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hard hunting hounds and supplements?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

Hard hunting hounds and supplements?

I feed my dogs a well-balanced diet with a good quality dog food. Higher protein and fat in the winter and when they are hunting hard. I was wondering what other people do if anything as far as supplements go. I give my old dogs glucosamine and vitamins but other than that nothing else.

What I’m really wondering is there anything people give during a hard weekend of hunting? This weekend was full of coon hunting and rabbit hunting. I do not like to feed the dogs prior to going out but was wondering if there was something people give to kickstart their metabolism and keep their sugar and electrolytes up during a hard hunt prior to being able to feed again? Anything you’ve tried any advice would be great thanks !

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2019 07:59 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Good question. I'll be watching for answers from those that know more than I do.

I mostly mess with squirrel dogs these days, and hard road hunting can really suck them down in a hurry. I feed a little higher fat content feed when I'm hunting frequently, and will also add some warm water to their feed to make a sort of broth. Seems like they eat it better, and it really aides with hydration when it's cold.

Old Post 01-13-2019 09:17 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I've tried a bunch of different supplements over the years and have never found one that my dogs would eat. Hard to tell how effective they are if your dog won't eat them. They are all expensive and none will sell a small "try it " pack at a cheap price so you can just see if the dog will eat it. So you pay 20 bucks and end up throwing it away. For me, the best I can do for my dogs is feed something like ProPlan with a pound of mackeral and an egg every day. And then you better hunt them hard or you got a seriously over weight hound. But they won't run out of gas on you.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 01-14-2019 01:04 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Any kind of decent dog food and a raw egg is hard to beat!

Old Post 01-14-2019 01:56 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I feed 1/2 in the morning, not hunting on a completely empty stomach. The other half when we come home. I also buy raw beef fat from a butcher(not pork). When really cold or several nights of long hard hunting, I will give a 1" sq. pc an hour before hunting. I saw where the dog sledders on the Klondike feed the dogs only whale fat the entire 1,000 mile course. Been doing it for years

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 01-14-2019 03:40 AM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nick miller
UKC Forum Member

K9 super fuel powder mixed with water to form a broth, give it a try

Old Post 01-14-2019 11:34 AM
nick miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nick miller Click here to Send nick miller a Private Message Click Here to Email nick miller Find more posts by nick miller Add nick miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

My dogs had been running hard all morning on hogs...at around 11 am we had caught a big and fat sow... the dogs were exhausted and were hanging around...I didn't cast them because I was ready to go home...we gutted the show and about a 3" cube of mostly fat was cut out and fell to the ground and one dog wolfed it down...loaded the dogs and we headed out...they winded one on our way out so I figured they would stick for a few hours and if they didn't stop him i would have the dogs back by 2 PM which is about normal...I got the dogs back because they were give out and it didn't take much to call them out...well that dog that ate that cube was on that hog fighting, baying and tracking...there was a young dog with him that doesn't know what quit is...we didn't have permission to hunt where they were running the hog...I finally went home about 6 PM and came back and picked them up the next morning...

That cube of fat energized that dog quite a bit...

Old Post 01-14-2019 11:53 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Fat is a primary source of energy for canines.
It's calorically dence ...2x than protein/carbs. per gram.

Old Post 01-14-2019 02:23 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

If you’re just hunting the weekend you shouldn’t need a supplement.
Make sure your dog is hydrated’ fed properly and is in appropriate shPe for the type of,humtimg yiur doing. I think there areSome supplements out there that will work, and there are some thhay are a waste of money. Feed the best feed you can.

Old Post 01-15-2019 02:19 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

K9 Super Fuel mixed up with the feed

Glucosamine Soft Chews for older dogs

Pet Tabs Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement Daily

These Additives seem to work well for me

Old Post 01-15-2019 01:27 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigHoss77
UKC Forum Member

Dog bloom is a great product you just pour it over the feed, it resembles powder cheese in looks and texture. I also like to use red cell a couple of times a week and then joint supplements for an older dog. I also put bounce back which is basically Gatorade for animals in with their water just to help them stay hydrated and get some extra eloctrylites in them.

UKC & ACHA NiteCh' Pr' Slippery Creek Rag's Boozer

Old Post 01-15-2019 02:18 PM
BigHoss77 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigHoss77 Click here to Send BigHoss77 a Private Message Find more posts by BigHoss77 Add BigHoss77 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Food/genetics?

After all these years of hunting hounds probably as much of a question about feeding your dog is what type hound you're hunting. I've found that some dogs don't require a lot of attention and are very easily kept and others may require attention to detail even if fed the same food. I've owned dogs that could perform on most any type of food and some that would require special attention. Know your dog and their background! I am hunting a female now that is extremely hard going and requires a more energy packed food. I'm still experimenting with her but she is still fairly young and I know she will change in her needs as she grows older. The only advice I will recommend is don't feed the heavy duty dog food if you're not hunting them regular and just monitor your dog and experiment with your feedings. There are so many dog food companies out there now but I stick with the ones that are tried and true. Just like automobiles, guns and even the dog you're hunting, stick with the ones that have given you the best results!

Last edited by Ron Moore on 01-15-2019 at 02:52 PM

Old Post 01-15-2019 02:46 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

Supplyment

Dailey Care Extra Vitamins from Revival Animal Health, Just feed what ever yer fedin and give them 2 of them a day. If you hunt every night or 1 night a week these will keep yer dog runnin in high gear. These were made by the vet Dr-B that owns The company call and talk to them about it . Have a Blessed One ,, Ron Revival Animal Health .com

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 01-16-2019 03:34 PM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

NutriCal shortly before turned loose.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 02-26-2021 at 10:47 PM

Old Post 02-26-2021 10:42 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote