UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Advice on kane heat mat
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Advice on kane heat mat

Have a female due sunday. Anyone used the 18"×18" with a thermostat?? What is normal temperature setting for the thermostat. Anyone with experience using the kane mat I would appreciate your advice.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-10-2021 03:02 AM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.H. Sills
UKC Forum Member

Not sure how they would work new puppies because the surface really heats up when there is a warm body touching it. Maybe get a stick-on aquarium thermometer and see what the temperature of the surface is.

Last edited by J.H. Sills on 02-10-2021 at 03:28 AM

Old Post 02-10-2021 03:19 AM
J.H. Sills is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.H. Sills Click here to Send J.H. Sills a Private Message Click Here to Email J.H. Sills Find more posts by J.H. Sills Add J.H. Sills to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

It has a thermostat. Supposed to be here tomorrow.
Has a blue thermostat

Last edited by lblhunter on 02-10-2021 at 03:28 AM

Old Post 02-10-2021 03:23 AM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Just wondering. I will probably start out 55 degrees or so and c. Thanks

Old Post 02-10-2021 03:30 AM
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Any advice on the temperature set point on the kane heat mat with a thermostat?? It can be set to a desired temperature I'm just trying to find info from someone that has used one. Pups due sunday and going to be bad cold here in west ky.

Old Post 02-10-2021 05:12 PM
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

haven't used the kane, but have three others. usually set the temp at 90 degrees to start with and lower as the pups get older.

Old Post 02-12-2021 09:39 PM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

lbl, any more info on the mat? I may have to try one. I've tried some other things, but most don't hold up well. And since a buddy had his entire kennel burn down and dogs killed, I'm hesitant to use hound heater I have.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 02-13-2021 06:07 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Pine JB
lbl, any more info on the mat? I may have to try one. I've tried some other things, but most don't hold up well. And since a buddy had his entire kennel burn down and dogs killed, I'm hesitant to use hound heater I have.

It's been cold for this part of the country. I built a base with a 2"×8" board with rail on a piece of plywood. Then put an old fiberglass well house on that and a heavy towel over the door. Started out with the 100w heat emitter bulb and the kane mat set at 85.
Pups were constantly crying. Swapped the 100w bulb for a red 250w and raised the temp of the mat to 100 degrees. Nice and warm and no crying. From floor to top of house is 4ft. Heat bulb is 3 ft above floor.
The pups will be laying on the mat if not nursing.
I did drop mat temp to 95 last night. I also wrapped the house in tarps.

I think the mat is worth it especially for litters being born in outside conditions. My box is in a carport that is open on the east end.

Last edited by lblhunter on 02-14-2021 at 04:44 PM

Old Post 02-14-2021 04:32 PM
Jon Walz
UKC Forum Member

Good job

Sounds like you are doing a great job. I try to keep the thermostat that will measure “air” temperature at 90-85 the 1st weeks by using a heater that is secure and can’t be tipped over. Heat bulbs work too I just don’t currently have a box that they work well and safe in. You don’t want Momma dog accidentally breaking the bulb.
I also have a heating mat secured to the bottom of the box that covers half of the floor space. If the pup gets too warm they simply crawl off.
You did great with the extra tarps too. Your doing your best to keep out the drafts. Your pups will be just fine.

High Scoring Bluetick male at the 2014 World Hunt
King of hunt @ 2015 Bluetick Reunion

GRNITECH 'PR' Walz' Queen of Coontree Music (GRNITECH PR' Nashoba Valley Piazon X GRNITECH CH PR' B&D"s Blue Queen)
2015 Wisconsin State Champion
2015 Badger State Champion
2016 Wisconsin State Champion

GRNITECH 'PR' Walz' Coontree Twilite Mercy (GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Blue Creek Gauge x GRNITECH 'PR' B&D's Blue Queen)

GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' Walz Coontree Rebecca (GRNITECH 'PR' Walz Coontree Joker x GRNITECH 'PR' Walz Coontree Queen)

GONE BUT WILL NEVER FORGET:
GRCH NITECH 'PR' Walz' Coontree Melody

Old Post 02-14-2021 07:05 PM
Jon Walz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jon Walz Click here to Send Jon Walz a Private Message Click Here to Email Jon Walz Find more posts by Jon Walz Add Jon Walz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Kane heat pads are hands down the BEST . I wouldnt attempt to raise a litter of pups without one in cool times of the year . They are Expensive compared to other brands but They are HIGH Quality and Last ! Ive had one going on 18 yrs now and its actually been plugged in for the last couple months straight for pups . It gets used every year i raise a couple litters each year. I like a bigger whelping house than i see most people use because i want there to be plenty of room for the pups and momma to be able to be completely on the may OR off of it if they get too hot.

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 02-16-2021 05:37 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

I also use the paint can homemade heater ( look on youtube how to make one) to help with the ambient temp inside the dog house to knock any chill down . I used a heat bulb in past until had one shatter and get broken glass everywhere ..... with the paint can heater you just use a 40 - 60w reg bulb depending how cold it is and snap the lid on so if bulb breaks you dont have shattered glass pieces everywhere .

Sounds like you're doing a great job with them . Good luck with your litter !

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 02-16-2021 05:45 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Temp here got down to -9 last night. when I checked the pups they were on the mat. I feel like it keeps them away from the momma when they arn"t nursing and helps from being laid on.

Old Post 02-16-2021 11:55 PM
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
Kane heat pads are hands down the BEST . I wouldnt attempt to raise a litter of pups without one in cool times of the year . They are Expensive compared to other brands but They are HIGH Quality and Last ! Ive had one going on 18 yrs now and its actually been plugged in for the last couple months straight for pups . It gets used every year i raise a couple litters each year. I like a bigger whelping house than i see most people use because i want there to be plenty of room for the pups and momma to be able to be completely on the may OR off of it if they get too hot.

Thanks for your input. I've used other heated mats, but lucky if they make it one winter. I'm not talking about pups, but dogs of all ages I'm not afraid to spend money on keeping hounds comfortable. I plugged in the hound heater yesterday because of the cold that was forecast. I've been reluctant to use it this year.

I know laying on heating pad makes me feel better, I'm sure it helps them out too.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 02-17-2021 03:30 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

so I ordered a kane mat, the 18x18. It arrived yesterday. I'm very impressed with the quality. It's built much heavier than the others I had that didn't last. I can see why Kane mats will hold up for years.

It heats up and stays warm. My daughter actually sitting on it right now, enjoying the added warmth.

on a related note, I like to put one of the wireless outdoor thermometers in dog house to let me see what temp is inside. It gives me peace of mind knowing that they're warm when it's cold outside. Using the hound heater, the air temp in dog house stays about as warm as inside my house. Not sure if mat will raise temp like that due to being a conduction style rather than convection heat

Lone Pine North

Old Post 02-21-2021 03:27 PM