UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dogs Barking?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Dogs Barking?

Just a random thought this morning. I read a lot on here about dogs behavior. Seems like many would agree that dogs are prone more to bark in the pens and basically don't like being confined today than the did years ago.

Could some our dogs problems actually be caused by a change in the way we take care of them. Does todays generation actually care for and interact with their dogs as much as was happening 20 years ago. Have dogs become something that just sits in a pen waiting for someone to come let them out that isn't happening as much as it use to. Are their water bowls being knocked over and not refilled as they should be? Are they getting enough food and attention? Just read this board and the history of barking unhappy dogs in a pen. It has to be Genetics or Environment or a little of both. How many actually have a dog out in their pen if they hear it bark they know something is wrong and they go check on them? Yes there are dogs like that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-12-2020 01:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs Barking?

[

" How many actually have a dog out in their pen if they hear it bark they know something is wrong and they go check on them? Yes there are dogs like that. "......

Each one of my dogs have distinct barks telling me what's going on in the yard or whats coming down the road or when my neighbor 250 yard away is in a bad mood and steps outside with an attitude or I just know what their saying.....my wife ask me often how do u know what they want or y their barking..... my answer .....I know my dogs.

Old Post 07-12-2020 01:25 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Call : CALL WILD WILLY !!

Tar

Old Post 07-12-2020 01:34 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If my dogs bark, I go outside to see what they are barking at. I don't own a no bark collar.

Old Post 07-12-2020 02:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Barking/ Pacing

Bruce I like your post. As I read these posts about barking and pacing I wonder what the dog is trying to tell the owner. Dogwhisper states he knows what's happening outside by the tone of bark. My hounds are my security system also. I know when the grandkids are here, the kittens are playing in the yard next to dog pens Or neighbors are walking FoFo down the road. All by the tone of bark by each different dog. Then there is the stranger bark. On all of the above I go out and tell the dogs it is ok and to be quiet. If I have to make a second trip out I have a plastic ball bat I take. That's my shock collar. I buy them at dollar general. The ones with the over sized ends. They pop real loud and don't hurt. I also have/had a pacer. It took awhile but I finial realized I was at fault. Weather and amount of time in the woods! I have to cut his proteins back as weather warms also I don't hunt much May through August. A simple change of feed. No more pacing.

In our fast pace world I can see how our dogs can get shoved to the back burner at times. But we as houndsmen/ladies maybe need to listen to what they are trying to tell us. Not only in the woods but in the kennel also.

I'm not saying dogs don't need corrected at times they do. Just like mom and dad corrected me. It is called training. As I have read many times on here some dogs are smarter than the trainer. NO TRUER statement.

Enjoy Your Dogs!! I Do Mine!

Randi Bidlack

Old Post 07-12-2020 02:57 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Sometimes we aggravate the barking problem without realizing it...I did it for many years and then one day it occurred to me that I was sending mixed signals to my dogs...

I stepped out the back door and went to garage or shed...I would holler to my dogs to acknowledge their presence...then I corrected for barking but they got a few barks in during that time...

I also try to never walk up to the kennel if dogs are barking unless I am correcting the barking...the correcting must be a greater negative than the positive...the positive in the dogs mind is they he or she managed to get your attention so they could get attention...

These are small details we don’t think about but in reality they are big in a dogs world...

Having said that, it is not a fix...it just makes things a little better...
I still use the Garmin bark eliminators....

Old Post 07-12-2020 05:18 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I for one refuse the every dog has a value theory ! There are juvenile offenders that turn in to criminals that no person can fix in the dog world.

Tar

Old Post 07-12-2020 06:02 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Dogs Barking?

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Just a random thought this morning. I read a lot on here about dogs behavior. Seems like many would agree that dogs are prone more to bark in the pens and basically don't like being confined today than the did years ago.

Could some our dogs problems actually be caused by a change in the way we take care of them. Does todays generation actually care for and interact with their dogs as much as was happening 20 years ago. Have dogs become something that just sits in a pen waiting for someone to come let them out that isn't happening as much as it use to. Are their water bowls being knocked over and not refilled as they should be? Are they getting enough food and attention? Just read this board and the history of barking unhappy dogs in a pen. It has to be Genetics or Environment or a little of both. How many actually have a dog out in their pen if they hear it bark they know something is wrong and they go check on them? Yes there are dogs like that.

Not sure what it is but here there are 11 dogs none wear bark collars. We are all currently outside with the family and all is quiet. But the older dogs are all very well disciplined and hunted several nights a week. They will only bark if coyotes come very near the yard and while it is feeding time if they aren't first.
Pups that don't run loose are in a large pen housed together this is the secret to quiet puppies. Small confines and/or not enough exercise is the problem with many.
Bruce you ever notice how quiet Oaks is until later in the week when the show dogs and trading dogs show up. The hunted dogs spend their days laying in the shade sleeping the others have to bark at every person that passes by. This past year we spread our campsite out between all of us because each of the past couple of years the couple of show dog people with a bunch of dogs had moved in in the night with dogs that never shut up for the 2-3 days they were there. I know not all of them are like that and not bashing those there to show but the discontentment between them and those with dogs in the hunt near us was obvious.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-13-2020 02:10 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I have four females that seldom bark. i have three dog yards that are 75 feet X 20 feet with connecting gates which are left open. If I separate the dogs they bark more. When I see the chicken coops some people keep dogs in, I'm not surprised they bark.

Old Post 07-13-2020 02:45 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Howling at a siren,or someone is in your yard that’s not supposed to be or a stray dog is one thing I live in town so a mild mannered dog that comes at attention only when they see me coming about dark is a must. I don’t even like unnecessary track barking in the woods.

Tar

Old Post 07-13-2020 03:32 AM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Tars got it right again!

Old Post 07-13-2020 03:31 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

I believe it to be an inherited trait as well as a learned one. All depends on the genetic makeup of the bloodline and or its environment.
Ive heard old timers years ago who would talk about this sitting around the clubhouse, they said if you got a barking dog he aint getting hunted enough!!

The older i get the more important a well kennel mannered hound is to me. I had a rattle headed idiot bark his mouth out about 20 years ago and since i desire a hound with a huge mouth i dont want him/her barking it out. My pet peeve is a nuisance barking idiot . That particular dog barking out was actually a blessing in disguise for me .
Ive also noticed that those who allow one to nuisance bark at home that same dog will be treed in the dogbox at 120 bpm going down the hwy and barking nonstop at a hunt tied out waiting to draw out.

* GRNTCH PKC CH SMALL TOWN LONE SURVIVOR "LONER" DNA-VIP
(GRNTCH Cabin Creek Rowdy semen X GRNTCH CH Lonesome Dove Lori)
----- Chilled semen available, 463 million total sperm per collection sent - Quality Documented & Guaranteed as of 11-15-23 -----
-English Days 2020 - 3rd place Fri / High Scoring male & 1st place Sat night
-2021 UKC World TOP 100
-2022 TOC Qualified
-2022 UKC World Qualified
-2023 UKC World Qualified
-2023 PKC World Quarter Finalist TOP 105
- For more on Loner, Go listen to Episode #1 on The Coonhound Collective podcast on Spotify.

* GRNTCH CH LONESOME DOVE LORI ( 2018 UKC World top 25 ) World Qualified 3 years straight [ double bred , 2X WLD CH Eng Fem GRNTCH Backroads Rosie ]

* GRNTCH CH SMALL TOWN BINGO STAR DNA-VIP ( 2019 Winter Classic 2nd place ) [ HOF GRNTCH Wilcox Thunder Bingo X Dual Grand Tree Rockin' Nelly ]
(( Star is the Dam to 2021 Southern Eng Days High Scoring Male & Overall Winner ))

- Live breeding doesn't dictate the future success of a puppy any more than a frozen breeding does.

+ I am the Wretch the song refers to

Old Post 07-14-2020 04:23 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLlarry
New UKC Forum Member

I currently have a dog that would obnoxiously bark for no reason. Even after back to back nights hunting it continued, bark collars helped but didnt eliminate it. Tried correcting her myself but only made her bark more. Turns out just a good head rub every afternoon on the tailgate and she rarely barks now. Most other dogs I've had could care less about that but just goes to show you they all have their own personalities and not one thing works for all dogs

Old Post 07-14-2020 04:45 PM
CLlarry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLlarry Click here to Send CLlarry a Private Message Click Here to Email CLlarry Find more posts by CLlarry Add CLlarry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CLlarry
Most other dogs I've had could care less about that but just goes to show you they all have their own personalities and not one thing works for all dogs

I have one that if you don't hunt her she is fine but if you take her a couple of nights then she starts barking again. After a couple of nights of not hunting her she gives up and quits barking.

Old Post 07-14-2020 07:05 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BuckeyeBoys
UKC Forum Member

Well I'm 55 and never in my life did i have or was I around one that after a few corrections a dog didn't realize that barking unnecessarily meant a whopping. Until now, in the last five years I have seen countless dog's barking in the box on the way to the woods, barking tied out, barking in the kennel, barking for no reason at all. I have also seen those dogs get a whooping and they are barking again before the owner can get back to the house. Seems to me they just are to **** dumb to figure out barking like a fool results in a whooping. Not sure which is worst, the non stop barking or the owner that doesn't take care of the problem.
When I was young we didn't have bark collars, just a short piece of rubber hose that did the trick. Now days guy's got multiple bark collars. Seems nuts to me. I believe it's all in the genetics JMO

Old Post 07-14-2020 11:12 PM
BuckeyeBoys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BuckeyeBoys Click here to Send BuckeyeBoys a Private Message Find more posts by BuckeyeBoys Add BuckeyeBoys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

This isn’t exactly on topic...but my wife owned a Westie that learned a slick trick...

We used to let him out in the back yard to get a little fresh air and sunshine...when he wanted in sometimes was not the time we didn’t want him in the house...

Once in a while he might bark at something and we didn’t pay any attention to him...and when he wanted in he would scratch at the door or at the back window and we didn’t pay him any attention at times...

And...every now and then someone would walk along the back fence when he was out in the backyard and he would really bark like he was looking at stranger danger...so when he barked like that I would go quickly to the back door to see what was going on...

Well after a while ole Chilly got an idea🤔...if he faked a stranger danger barkIng episode like a stranger was walking along the back fence, he figured that I would go see what he was barking at...and then when I opened the door he was close by and would come right in the house...after a while I figured out what he was doing...well I thought ole Chilly was pretty slick to figure that out...

Well Chilly passed on and we got another Westie and we named him Artemis...well Artemis learned the same trick but I didn’t go for it...🧐

Old Post 07-16-2020 03:50 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
violaparkinson
New UKC Forum Member

I love barking dogs.

Old Post 07-16-2020 06:07 PM
violaparkinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for violaparkinson Click here to Send violaparkinson a Private Message Click Here to Email violaparkinson Find more posts by violaparkinson Add violaparkinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by violaparkinson
I love barking dogs.

Your neighbors may not lol!
I don't mind mine barking to let me know something is going on. A few weeks ago mine were going crazy I went out side to find out what was going on to find that coyotes were within a few feet of my yard. I had to get the shot gun to scare them off because yelling didn't work. If I could have saw better in the dark I would have shot at them as they were really close to the dogs. There is a big difference in a dog barking to alert you and one that justs barks to be making noise.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-16-2020 10:19 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
violaparkinson
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Your neighbors may not lol!
I don't mind mine barking to let me know something is going on. A few weeks ago mine were going crazy I went out side to find out what was going on to find that coyotes were within a few feet of my yard. I had to get the shot gun to scare them off because yelling didn't work. If I could have saw better in the dark I would have shot at them as they were really close to the dogs. There is a big difference in a dog barking to alert you and one that justs barks to be making noise.

First, thanks for the beautiful response. It's a natural manner of a dog. My baby is bark when he feels bored and at night when he feels something wrong and alerts me. I think dogs don't bark for making a noise. I don't contact tired because dogs are only one of the best friends of man and loyal. It fully depends on you how you take dog barking.

Old Post 07-17-2020 11:56 AM
violaparkinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for violaparkinson Click here to Send violaparkinson a Private Message Click Here to Email violaparkinson Find more posts by violaparkinson Add violaparkinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Some dogs bark just to hear their head roar whether you believe it or not

Old Post 07-17-2020 02:55 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
violaparkinson
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Some dogs bark just to hear their head roar whether you believe it or not

I agree with you.

Old Post 07-21-2020 08:52 PM