UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Knee Replacement
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Knee Replacement

Have any of you hunters had knee replacement? If so what can I expect, I have had several knee surgeries, but not total replacement. Doing that on the 8th. A few prayers from you hunters would not hurt. Thanks in advance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-04-2020 12:58 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

When I had my knee replaced I was told it was up to me to make it a success.Doing the exercises and doing rehab is key.The recovery takes time. Do not think discouraged.You will have pain while recovering.I may have had more than some because I do not like to take heavy pain killers and only used for few days. All this being said it was worth all the issues .

Old Post 07-04-2020 01:43 PM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RC-Abby
UKC Forum Member

Knee replace

Buddy had 1 replaced end of march first of April. Had 1st one done few years ago. Told me it was pc of cake. Just do a lot of therapy. Even at home to get muscles built back. His 1st nite hunting. Knee was unstable from side pressure on uneven ground. So he started exercises using more side pressure. Not sure what he is doing.

Always glad to send prayers.

Good Luck!
Randi Bidlack

He also told me MIND SET plays a big part!

Old Post 07-04-2020 01:53 PM
RC-Abby is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RC-Abby Click here to Send RC-Abby a Private Message Find more posts by RC-Abby Add RC-Abby to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I had mine done 3 years ago. I know several that have but have had major problems. My Dr PROMISED I would be back to coon hunting in 3 weeks. At 3 weeks and 2 days, I was in the woods. Used a cane for balance, but NO PAIN. The reason, look for a Dr that does 3D Imaging. They scan your knee, sends images to a computer. It makes your knee to fit you. Right after recovery, I did a lap around the hospital floor. Next day, did a flight of steps. Sent home. PT, at 6 weeks, 160° mobility. That used to be a 5 month goal. You have to do PT, and its gonna sting... But I would do it again in a heart beat.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 07-04-2020 02:04 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

years ago

I had it done years ago ,around seven .You will have some pretty good pain for a little while but in the end it will probably be better than the other one .Doing the therapy is key.

Old Post 07-04-2020 06:11 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Knee surgery

I tore my right knee ACL completely his past January ( 6 months ) ago and I am walking fairly well, climbing stairs, I am a little unstable when I first stand up. I am fighting not to have surgery or knee replacement as long as I can walk without doing so. Have any of you guys recovered from a torn ACL without surgery? I have talked with a couple that tore their ACL and never had surgery that say they get along pretty good. Dave

Old Post 07-05-2020 02:25 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

Have had both replaced several years apart.Could have went square dancing after the first one in 3 weeks not so good with second one but close. Now read close the key is taking the rowing machine home with you and use it almost constantly, I got to where I could be strapped in to it and go to sleep letting it glently go up and down bending the knee real good. Also take those pain pills but take stool softners and other type stuff so you wont get stopped up. Ive had 4 back operations and steel plates put in my neck and I would say knee replacement is easy compared to other operations just remember to keep that knee bending using the machine and take those pain pills you wont get hooked on them just for using them for a few weeks. Good luck.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 07-05-2020 03:03 AM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Prayers for you.

Old Post 07-05-2020 05:14 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: Knee surgery

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I tore my right knee ACL completely his past January ( 6 months ) ago and I am walking fairly well, climbing stairs, I am a little unstable when I first stand up. I am fighting not to have surgery or knee replacement as long as I can walk without doing so. Have any of you guys recovered from a torn ACL without surgery? I have talked with a couple that tore their ACL and never had surgery that say they get along pretty good. Dave

My husband and I tore our ACLs and didn't have surgery. I tore the one in my left leg, since it's my getting on my horse leg, it got lots of physical therapy. We get along ok with them.

Old Post 07-05-2020 03:59 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rex Ridge

Thank you for your reply, I am encouraged by folks like yourself that did not have surgery and are getting along just fine. I am 71 and do not want surgery unless I have no choice, yet I still want to be able to hunt, climb mountains and do things that I did before tearing my ACL. Hearing from folks like yourself that did not have surgery is certainly encouraging to me. Dave

Old Post 07-05-2020 10:18 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rex Ridge

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Thank you for your reply, I am encouraged by folks like yourself that did not have surgery and are getting along just fine. I am 71 and do not want surgery unless I have no choice, yet I still want to be able to hunt, climb mountains and do things that I did before tearing my ACL. Hearing from folks like yourself that did not have surgery is certainly encouraging to me. Dave

We're in our mid 60s and I feel our torn ACL's are the least of our problems. I'm not much on hill climbing anymore, but we still hunt, trap and I ride and camp with my horses every chance I get. Good luck with your knee.

Old Post 07-06-2020 05:10 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rudedog
UKC Forum Member

knee surgery

i'm mid 60s and had both my knees replaced last year with robot surgery after about 3 weeks i was back into the woods with no pain about a week of therapy and doc told me to ease back into hunting best thing is arthritis can't affect a fake knee so that's 2 joints that are pain free the next morning

Old Post 07-06-2020 01:21 PM
rudedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rudedog Click here to Send rudedog a Private Message Find more posts by rudedog Add rudedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Thanks to everyone that commented, text or called. I just want to be pain free and able to walk to the dogs with out fear. My first knee surgery was in1966, hoping this is my last.

Old Post 07-07-2020 06:16 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Roy you’ll be just fine, you’re tougher than an ol pine knot, you have more chance at pain from your wife than that knee, but we’re gona pray for you either way ol buddy.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 07-08-2020 02:10 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEST EVER
Banned

I had both my knees replaced end of last year and no major complication. I still drag my feet a little and a little stiff when you first get up for the first few steps but wish I had it done several years ago. I'm coming 64 and was really worried due to all the horror stories I heard but so far very please. First knee back to work 10 weeks and second 12 weeks as they wanted me to back off a little so I did not bother my first knee replacement. Work your tail off on Physical Therapy and you will be fine, it is to fun but makes a big difference on you pain and bending of your knee. Was riding a stationary bike on the 5th day after surgery. Good luck!

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 07-08-2020 12:09 PM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Hope all goes well with your surgery today 🙏

Old Post 07-08-2020 04:27 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

PTL got home today, I have no pain so far. I truly deeply appreciate all the prayers, calls and text msgs. Especially the one from MY Barbie. love you too Kharter

Old Post 07-09-2020 07:53 PM
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Kharter was sure worried about you, she told me she wanted to send you a video and I just let her go. She’s ready to take you on a hunt once you’re better.

(Roy and Kharter @ Autumn Oaks last year)

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 07-10-2020 04:35 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

jkidd

She is adorable, Thank GOD for our precious children. Dave

Old Post 07-10-2020 06:56 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Thanks again, had a couple rough days. Therapist said about 2 weeks ahead of the game. Can't miss AO beets to Jen me and Kharter a triple decker ice cream

Old Post 07-12-2020 08:15 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Don't over do. Glad you're doing well.

Old Post 07-13-2020 10:38 PM
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Kharter said thanks Dave!

Roy, keep on that road to recovery and we’ll see you at Oaks.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 07-13-2020 11:59 PM