UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Meat dog
Pages (7): « First ... « 5 6 [7]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Sadly, those days are long gone, most hunts today are hunting off buckets, feeders and show no real ability. The hunts were conceived to showcase a dogs ability, but have become something totally different these days. One good thing is that you and I hunted when it was the real deal best coon dog win era of competition hunts, they can't take that away from us. We are past our prime and it's a different world these days. All I can say is that I am proud that we got to see and hunt in a time when it took a coon dog to win these hunts. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-29-2020 12:47 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Sadly, those days are long gone, most hunts today are hunting off buckets, feeders and show no real ability. The hunts were conceived to showcase a dogs ability, but have become something totally different these days. One good thing is that you and I hunted when it was the real deal best coon dog win era of competition hunts, they can't take that away from us. We are past our prime and it's a different world these days. All I can say is that I am proud that we got to see and hunt in a time when it took a coon dog to win these hunts. Dave
same with me!

Old Post 07-29-2020 02:40 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards

Must be there's different types of dogs in all parts of the country. Because there's guys that pack around me too dogs here. And there's plenty of them at that. And I can honestly say I don't think its easier to train a dog to be alone. I think its easier to train to train a dog in a pack. But it depends upon what your dog is naturally whether its independent or likes to be in company. If your dog is a pack type, and that's what you prefer....... You feed it not me. As long as the dog suits the owner is all that matters.

I like a dog that will tree with other dogs if they strike the same track. But I don't like a dog that leaves a track to cover or to investigate what others are doing (ie: big ears). Mine don't have to be alone, I like one that's indifferent about other dogs. One that won't leave an area because another dog barked. Every dog I've kept for any length of time was indifferent to other dogs. This type tends to hunt the way I like. They don't blow out to a mile before using their nose. They start hunting from the snap or within a couple hundred yards from the snap. I don't find it enjoyable to spend most of night walking long distances to dogs that passed several coons.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-29-2020 01:25 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Eric

Even the young people down hear don’t want to chase a bronkey dog it’s to daggum ruff we got a lot of coons cast I put in a spot last weekend treed 4 singles in an hour one dog got split once and won the cast they seen 27setting up lol. And they was all happy nobody stuck on the leash they all had the chance to win.

That’s coonhunting to me.

Tar

Old Post 07-29-2020 02:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

I think the type of dog you prefer to hunt is exactly what MOST coon hunters want in their dogs. I love that type of coon dog, one that's indifferent to what the other dogs do, one that hunts with you, takes the tracks as they come and show you eyes when they tree. I prefer this type of dog pleasure hunting or competition hunting, not a me too dog, but a dog that WILL tree with others when they are on the same track. Dave

Old Post 07-29-2020 03:50 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Reason I'm saying there's some me too dogs around here is, the guys that have them never hunt alone and their dog is always in company and never alone. And when guys talk about pack type dogs that's what I think of. Dogs that "me too" all night, regardless if in a hunt or not. If a dog comes running from 600+ yards to cover and is never alone for more than a minute or 2 between dogs then I call a spade a spade. Some of these guys think their hound does no wrong. They want a piece of every tree, and never get 1st tree. And I swear some dogs about break their necks trying to cover dogs that are independent enough to be indifferent.

Tar it sounds like a good time. You'll hunt for a week or more to see that many coons here. I'be been lucky enough to lead some decent dogs here. Best I've seen is 15 coons treed in 1 night with 1 dog. It was perfect weather after a long cold snap here in March a few years ago. And I haven't seen another come close to that. Now the dog that treed them didn't tree 15 singles, he treed a 2 or 3 doubles and 2 triples. I think he made 8 or 9 trees that night. On average I'd say I can tree 4 or 5 by daylight with 1 dog that operates like I want 1 too. Some spots here are pretty rough and some its easy walking. Depending when the timber was logged off last and if it was clear cut or not. Pennsylvania did some clear cuts to my best spots on public ground last year. Some of the timber that was cut was just left laying.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-29-2020 11:22 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If the dog is leading the pack far enough what the pack does is irrelevant!! If they pull up slick the indifferent dog just trails on by and has the coon when you get to him. Those coons are not always there Eric I just hunted around here enough to know where the feed is at during certain times of the year. It’s so ruff nobody can get them all lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-29-2020 11:39 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Yadkintar are you serious about them counting 27 total counting coons setting up

Old Post 07-29-2020 11:50 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by wart
Yadkintar are you serious about them counting 27 total counting coons setting up

A lot were sows and kittens in a big pecan bottom. We got a lot of coons here and not many hunters and probly 60,000 acres of public hunting around lake texoma its ruff that’s why there are coons deep and alone will make you yak in this hot weather lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-30-2020 12:25 AM