UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pup Prices
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Pup Prices

Anyone else notice pup prices recently? I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why they are so high? What's driving the price? Can't be a super high demand for puppies right now? Anyone got the answers? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 08-06-2020 at 06:10 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-06-2020 06:06 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Price

What do you think is a high price?

Old Post 08-06-2020 07:05 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Curious

I hope some of you will give your opinions on this. I've always thought pups should be priced higher for a long time. Seems like people would put more time in one if they paid more. Might even be better for the coonhound breed in the long run?

Old Post 08-06-2020 07:35 PM
Pat Miltons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Miltons Click here to Send Pat Miltons a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat Miltons Find more posts by Pat Miltons Add Pat Miltons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

It's all about demand you can't give a pup away in some areas also pkc and ukc pups sell better I paid 250.00 and 300.00 25 yrs ago so I would pay 500.00 today

Old Post 08-06-2020 07:49 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

$500 is a dirt cheap pup. People are selling pups for 700 without any titles in any KC. If they’re bred to the right stud. I’ve had one litter in the last year out of River and we sold those for $1,200 a piece. This fall we’ll be crossing her to Willy and people have already committed to $2,000 a pup. Are they worth that 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I’ve worked my butt off promoting her to make her pups are worth more. If I was a better handler we’d added another $30,000 on her winnings at the senior showdown this last February instead of a second place finish. But people are willing to pay for the right cross.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 08-06-2020 07:56 PM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Night Shift
$500 is a dirt cheap pup. People are selling pups for 700 without any titles in any KC. If they’re bred to the right stud. I’ve had one litter in the last year out of River and we sold those for $1,200 a piece. This fall we’ll be crossing her to Willy and people have already committed to $2,000 a pup. Are they worth that 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I’ve worked my butt off promoting her to make her pups are worth more. If I was a better handler we’d added another $30,000 on her winnings at the senior showdown this last February instead of a second place finish. But people are willing to pay for the right cross.

Jason, I'm talking about the average price of pups across the board, wouldn't pups out of a UKC NATL GRNITECH be "above average"?

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 08-06-2020 at 08:04 PM

Old Post 08-06-2020 08:01 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

500.00 or 700 is cheap. Considering a person can or will get off his tail an get it to treeing it’s own coon. Then turn around an sell it for 5 to 8 thousand.

Old Post 08-06-2020 08:13 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver
Jason, I'm talking about the average price of pups across the board, wouldn't pups out of a UKC NATL GRNITECH be "above average"?

Are the pups selling? What are the pups out of? Its supply and demand. If the pups won't sell then they have to drop the price. But I'll say this, if the pups are SS and performanced then they normally sell for asking price whether its $300 or $800 a pup. Only pups I've seen sell for more $ are out of some all-time winning dogs. But its what someone is willing to pay.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 08-06-2020 08:13 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Just to give the discussion some scope. I did a random sampling of the UKC Forums Treeing Walker Dogs and Puppies For Sale page, comparing ads for litters of puppies from 2020 and 2014...

The average going rate of a pup in the 2020 random sampling was $690...

The average going rate of a pup in the 2014 random sampling was $370...

(This isn't anything official, just a hillbilly doing math)

That's a $320 increase between averages over 5-6 years. Just curious as to the what is stimulating that rise, regardless if it's a gradual increase or a steep increase.

We all know it can't be coon prices lol

All opinions welcome!

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 08-06-2020 at 08:29 PM

Old Post 08-06-2020 08:19 PM
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

I doesn't matter how much they sell for without getting into good hands they won't have a good chance also these 1200.00 dollar pups let's see how many make usually only 1 or 2 make it there was a litter 2 years ago advertised for 1500. 00 at weaning and so far I know of 1 pup that's nice the others haven't been hunted or didn't make it

Old Post 08-06-2020 08:41 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Corey Gruver

Well you said high pup prices not average lol

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 08-06-2020 09:08 PM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Pup prices

If they are performance and SS and out of two titled dogs I think 5-700 is fair. If they are out of two nationally known big time winners I think you can charge what you want and they will sell. Hounds are cheap. A buddy of mine has Germain short hairs that are national versatile champions that sell for 4-5K and they are all sold before the breeding takes place.

Old Post 08-06-2020 09:14 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I wish I had 100 out of X right now. I just had a litter of 6...sold em all before I could get em off the tit for $1000 each. I get calls everyday with people wanting pups. They just ain’t any and I’m not selling mine

Old Post 08-06-2020 09:16 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Curious

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Miltons
I hope some of you will give your opinions on this. I've always thought pups should be priced higher for a long time. Seems like people would put more time in one if they paid more. Might even be better for the coonhound breed in the long run?

Great point. It has always amazed me that registered pet breeds, or bird dogs and labs with no proven hunting lineage will sell for $1000 a pup all day long... and a well bred coon-hound pup sells for $300 on average.

I agree that charging more on a whole would be better for the breed in the long run.

Problem is from some of the breeders I"ve spoken to... is that they can find people to sell pups to, but can't find many people to sell pups to - that will give the pup real fair shot at getting trained and hunted properly.

I would suspect folks paying $1000 for a pup will be a little more motivated to put the time in and make the investment work out.

P.S.... (these are general observations of houndsound and should houndsound buy a puppy from someone off here in the future he would much prefer not to pay $1000)

Last edited by houndsound on 08-06-2020 at 09:22 PM

Old Post 08-06-2020 09:19 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I raised 2 litters this year. They are around 3 months old. Titled bitches x winning stud. Had them all sold before they was born. A total of 30 or 40 people on a list. Once the 2 bitches had pups i contacted everyone that was 1st in line to get a pup and again after the pups was 7 weeks old so they could get things lined up and make sure nothing changed. It was unbelievable how many backed out. Nonrefunable Deposits next time for sure. I performanced and ss both litters. A lot of travel, stud fee, $ for the programs,time, effort. Not real sure $650 a pup was worth enough to redue again anytime soon. So much easier to buy a pup.

Old Post 08-07-2020 02:02 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

pam, yeah... my hats off to breeders doing a quality job... I see no reason to want to raise pups when I can find folks out there making quality crosses... with the internet age it is just too easy to get connected with people.

If I ever raised a litter again.... I'm probably bored and retired, and feel like I really have something possible of being a once in a lifetime cross- if not, just makes more sense to buy a pup from someone else.

Old Post 08-07-2020 02:20 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

I bet you can redbone puppies cheap . 😂

Old Post 08-07-2020 03:22 AM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fireballs
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pullen
I bet you can redbone puppies cheap . 😂

That old hippie fellow usually has some free ones

Old Post 08-07-2020 09:34 AM
Fireballs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fireballs Click here to Send Fireballs a Private Message Click Here to Email Fireballs Find more posts by Fireballs Add Fireballs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

costing more to breed and raise a litter now.

stud fees higher. Dean in gone so frozen costs are 3 times higher. basically the inputs are higher so outputs are higher.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 08-07-2020 12:08 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I think they have been underpriced for a long time. A common golden doodle or aussiedoodle puppy goes for 1200-2000+ depending on location, they are nice pets but I believe any working dog out of proven stock with a 1yr guarantee should bring more.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 08-07-2020 12:22 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by MUSKY
I think they have been underpriced for a long time. A common golden doodle or aussiedoodle puppy goes for 1200-2000+ depending on location, they are nice pets but I believe any working dog out of proven stock with a 1yr guarantee should bring more.

A $1,000 poodle just has to be a poodle ! A $1,000 coonhound pup should do more than smear dookie, bark non stop , pace in the pen and be worthless in the woods.

Just sayen.

Tar

Old Post 08-07-2020 12:31 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Pups & Price

Regardless of what you hear.....It Certainly is about Money when you see Pups Priced at $700 --$1500.
Its all about Winning & Money.....Nothing Else.
There are some Breeders on here that you will never see them with a Pup 4-Sale, because they will keep all of them and weed them out later. They are not interested in the Money, they have other goals---Which is to keep their line of Hounds Consistent in what they like.
I watch these guys posting live Video's night after night, and their Dogs are 2 for 4, some nights 10 for 10 ( 🙄 ).....Their Dogs are doing what they are Bred to do, then they take them to a Hunt because they are Tuned Up & Cranking......and they Lose. They are just Dogs and get lucky some nights. Most of them sound like a bunch of Coyotes barking....No Mouth what so ever.
Very few Good Breeder's out there and even fewer Hounds that are worthy of Reproducing, Regardless of what they have Won.

Example :
I Contacted a Well known Breeder about a possible Litter he is trying to get out of his last Straws from his Long Gone Dog.
This is from a Line of Hounds that are known to be Coon Tree'rs and have Outstanding Houndy Mouths. Its also a Line that I like very much.
After we talked for about 30 minutes and he explained what he was trying to accomplish......He said I would be on the list at #8. None of the others were being Sold , instead he already had a list of people he wanted to get them to that had the same goal as him. He asked me if I thought $250 was fair, I told him absolutely........I was expecting to Pay at least $500.
She will probably have 7 Pups......😉🙄☹

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Last edited by Triple K Kennel on 08-07-2020 at 02:31 PM

Old Post 08-07-2020 12:55 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

Wait till they are 8 months and buy them cheaper than pup price. People get tired of them or decide they can’t hunt them and let them go cheaper. Don’t tell me it doesn’t happen because I see it all the time.

Old Post 08-07-2020 01:55 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

X2....

quote:
Originally posted by 2nd Mac
Wait till they are 8 months and buy them cheaper than pup price. People get tired of them or decide they can’t hunt them and let them go cheaper. Don’t tell me it doesn’t happen because I see it all the time.

Yep......I agree and see it all the time.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 08-07-2020 02:29 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2nd Mac

Exactly! People give them to me. Why? Because they know that I will hunt them. Pricing pups at those ridiculous high prices isn't a guarantee that they will get hunted. Regardless of what people say, too many pups won't make it. Tar is is right, all a Poodle has to be is a Poodle..

Old Post 08-07-2020 02:39 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote