UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How often to shoot a coon
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Shooting coons

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
In my opinion killing coons is way more important to some hunters than it is to the dogs. I know some hunters who rarely kill a coon and I know some hunters that kill coons every night in season. I grew up in thin coon population and was concerned about saving breeding stock, so I am not an advocate of killing a lot of coons. Some of you guys grew up in thick coons and have no issue with killing a lot of coons. Fox hunters never kill the foxes, but that does not bother their dogs from running foxes, same with a lot of different sports, rabbit hunting, bird hunting, etc. The dogs perform regardless of whether you kill the game or not. I know my dogs still tree coons even when I do not shoot them out. I say let your game population decide how many you can kill without impacting the population. Hides are worthless and a dead coon is just that, it serves no good purpose and can never be treed again. Dave

It’s not over till it’s over lol. I always got a pup I cut the tail off and bring it home hook it up to a fishing pole and it’s hours of fun. Use 60 lb test line tho lol.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-01-2020 12:02 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Dogs will still go hunting and tree coons whether you knock them out or not but a lot of hunters won't go hunting unless they can knock them out. After all It is called coon hunting, not coon treeing.

Old Post 08-01-2020 12:50 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

OMG, You mean that I have just been coon treeing and not coon hunting ALL those times I did not kill the coons I treed. I appreciate you setting me straight, I really thought that I was coon hunting. Now that I know better, I will not be confused and call myself a coon hunter. Dave

Old Post 08-01-2020 05:35 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Dogs will still go hunting and tree coons whether you knock them out or not but a lot of hunters won't go hunting unless they can knock them out. After all It is called coon hunting, not coon treeing.

If I throw a fish back in the water... I'm still fishing

Old Post 08-01-2020 05:41 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Most young dogs will benefit from a few coons here and there throughout the process for many different reasons. It's like Tyler said its more about giving them the "right" coons. Unless I'm on a mission I don't normally even have a gun with me during season but if a young dog needs one they'll get one wether seasons open or not but if they need one very often I'm probably hunting the wrong dog. Kinda like shearing sheep....you can tree a coon over and over again but you can only skim em once.

Old Post 08-01-2020 07:18 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Most young dogs will benefit from a few coons here and there throughout the process for many different reasons. It's like Tyler said its more about giving them the "right" coons. Unless I'm on a mission I don't normally even have a gun with me during season but if a young dog needs one they'll get one wether seasons open or not but if they need one very often I'm probably hunting the wrong dog. Kinda like shearing sheep....you can tree a coon over and over again but you can only skim em once.

Ok Donnie let’s debate: ( if ) you tree one every night you can shoot it out but ( if ) you don’t tree one you cannot lol.

Tar

Old Post 08-01-2020 07:23 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Not much to debate there

Some need it some dont. I aint got many places i like to hunt I'd just as soon leave em for tomorrow night. I can tell if they need one and they'll get it if they do. I go hunt with my buddy and shoot his lol

Old Post 08-01-2020 07:58 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

If I seen 27 sitting up I might feel little different about it lol. In all honesty I've seen it cause as many problems as it can fix. At least short term.

Old Post 08-01-2020 08:04 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donnie Stevens

You notice that the ones with a thick coon population are usually the ones that generally shoot more coons out to their dogs. In thin coons you can really hurt the population by killing coons. I really do not care if I ever shoot another coon out as long as my dogs operate like a coon dog and tree coons on a regular basis. I like to see the coon and know the dog done it's job, but I sure do not have to kill the coon to have a good hunt. Dave

Old Post 08-01-2020 08:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
If your dog trees possums how many possums do you have to shoot to keep your dog treeing possums?

If it's one of my young dogs I shoot out ever possum they tree

Old Post 08-01-2020 08:14 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I am Only getting to hunt on Saturday night and it’s hot and ( if ) I tree one it’s coming out and back to the air conditioner for me lol.

Tar

Old Post 08-01-2020 08:14 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I am Only getting to hunt on Saturday night and it’s hot and ( if ) I tree one it’s coming out and back to the air conditioner for me lol.

Tar

If you made 100 trees without shooting any does your dog look any different? If you shoot 100 in a row does your dog look any different? Are you shooting them for the dogs benefit or yours ? I'll do whatever the dog needs but if it needs a coon anymore then every 50 trees I likely won't keep the dog.

Old Post 08-01-2020 08:25 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donnie Stevens

How many folks ACTUALLY know the difference it makes in their dogs shooting coons or not shooting coons out to them. I suspect it's all speculation in a hunters mind that their dogs need coons to operate. How many handlers actually try and see just how many times the dog can go without getting a coon shot out and still operate satisfactory? It's much easier for the handle just to assume that killing coons makes the dog operate better. Years ago when I summer hunted I never shot coons out and I could not tell that it made ANY DIFFERENCE to my dogs, they still hunted and treed coons every night. The only real difference that I ever saw was the dogs were easier to get off trees if you were not shooting coons out to them. I agree with you in that I will not keep a dog that HAS to have every coon they tree shot out. Dave

Old Post 08-01-2020 09:21 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
If you made 100 trees without shooting any does your dog look any different? If you shoot 100 in a row does your dog look any different? Are you shooting them for the dogs benefit or yours ? I'll do whatever the dog needs but if it needs a coon anymore then every 50 trees I likely won't keep the dog.

How do you know if your dog needs one does he tell you ? Oh my goodness my belly growls when I am hungry.

Tar

Old Post 08-01-2020 09:34 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Cut the drama, a handler of your caliber definitely knows if their dog is operating at a high level. Just as Donnies question posed, you would have a pretty good idea if you treed x number of coons without shooting any coons out and your dog still performed or started to decline in performance. How many coons do you think the PKC guys shoot out to the dogs they are hunting hard in the hunts? Some of those dogs never get a coon shot out to them. I have had some handlers tell me that they could tell whose dogs were getting coons shot out to them because they started slacking off after a couple of trees in a hunt when no coons were shot out. A dog that quits giving it's best because it does not get coons killed is definitely NOT my kind of dog. Dave

Old Post 08-01-2020 09:55 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
How do you know if your dog needs one does he tell you ?

Tar

Yes sir he does. If your paying attention yours will too.

Old Post 08-01-2020 10:06 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you don't shoot out any possums, will your dog just quit treeing them?

Old Post 08-01-2020 10:13 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
If you don't shoot out any possums, will your dog just quit treeing them?

Oh my goodness!!

Now that’s a question.

Tar

Old Post 08-01-2020 10:47 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Regarding possums, only if you use a little correction when they tree one. I call it an attitude adjustment, don't know what the dog calls it. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-01-2020 10:59 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If your dog trees possums how many possums do you have to shoot to keep your dog treeing possums?
Since no one answered my question I'll answer myself. NONE! If you don't break him he'll tree 'em for the rest of his life. Would he be different with coons?

Old Post 08-01-2020 11:10 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

I hate to do it out of season but......with all of farmers in southern Wisconsin and eastern Iowa poisoning coons because in their eyes they're destroying their crops. Nothing gets done to stop it either. Land to hunt is getting harder to gain permission and helping out on the farm to gain that right gets turned down because the almighty trophy deer hunters (a whole different thread). Some of us are running out of options or the quantity of coons to just go pleasure hunting with a buddy anymore. Add the price of hides. It just gets frustrating.

Old Post 08-01-2020 11:32 PM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Since no one answered my question I'll answer myself. NONE! If you don't break him he'll tree 'em for the rest of his life. Would he be different with coons?

Would you believe at 7 yrs old my female about 3 times a year will still tree a possum and I know that’s what she treed before I get there ?

Tar

Old Post 08-01-2020 11:41 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Guess that answers Donald's question! I bet she would keep on treeing coons if you never shoot another one out to her. It's in their DNA, killing coons just appeases the handler. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 08-02-2020 at 01:05 AM

Old Post 08-02-2020 12:00 AM
yadkintar
Banned

It’s not for everybody but it is tradition to me if it makes me happy and my dog happy that’s all that matters. Kinda like I was told if you pet your dog it will ruin them I pet mine every time I feed them ain’t ruined one yet.

Tar

Old Post 08-02-2020 01:17 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I am definitely not critical of you shooting out coons, You have a decent coon population and no doubt thinning them out keeps the diseases down. If we had the coon population you have, I would certainly kill more coons than I do now. It's all about where you live and how many coons you have that dictates how many you can kill without hurting the population. I use to go on hunting trips up North where there were lots of coons and no limits, we shot out a lot of coons on those trips. Have fun and stay safe, watch out for them buzz tails and ticks. Dave

Old Post 08-02-2020 01:48 AM