UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Pleasure dogs??
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I just love it when they jump up on or put their feet up on the tailgate, stick their head up in the air and stand real still until you put their tracking collar on them. You can't teach that.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-08-2018 11:53 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

mr lambert

x2 mine will go in the box and turn around and come out put his front feet on tail gate and leave back feet in the box when I get the collar on and reach to close the door he backs up it makes it a lot of fun. I also have a 11 month old female from the same blood line he is teaching her the same thing.

Old Post 11-09-2018 01:00 AM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I remember back in July of 1986 when the New England Coon and Cat Club hosted a Purina Points hunt as a part of their annual hosting of the New England Coon Hunters Reunion. I was a member there then and would always guide and judge a Champion class for the nite hunt. Tom Bradley from VA brought his Gr Nt Ch Blue Run Gentleman to hunt in his quest to win the Purina Coon Hound of the year. We also had a Gr Nt Ch walker dog named Bronco Billy owned by Fred Ladue from Cambridge, VT that had been tearing up the hunts in New England and NY state. I believe there was also an English dog in that cast as well.

I took them into a favorite haunt of mine down in Lyme, NH in big country.
We turned the dogs loose and they all left on the run. After 30-40 minutes Gentleman and Bronco Billy opened on an older track that ended up going no where. The guys were a little antsy wanting to know where all the coons were so I told them to catch up their dogs and we'd move to another spot. Both men chuckled and said they weren't sure they could do that. I asked what they did when they were just out pleasure hunting. I forget what Fred's response was but will never forget Tom Bradley's. He said "Make no mistake about it, this dog is no pleasure to hunt. You catch him at the tree, you can't call him in." He went on to say he only ran the Gentleman dog in the competition events. On his way back home each weekend he would drop the dog off at his handlers house to run through the week. He said if he wanted to pleasure hunt he had a real nice female at the house that handled like a dream and was a real joy to hunt.

Funny, I don't ever remember him stating in any of his stud adds after Gentleman went on to win the Purina High Hound award that the dog was no pleasure to hunt.

Last edited by DL NH on 11-09-2018 at 01:35 AM

Old Post 11-09-2018 01:27 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Great post Dan , we need a whole lot more like them.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 11-09-2018 02:59 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pleasure dogs

Tonight was a perfect example of a pleasure dog, made 2 drops had 2 strikes and 2 trees with coons in both trees and back home by 10pm, this dog is a super pleasure dog, night in and night out. Deadly accurate, straight on coon and handles like a dream. Dave

Old Post 11-09-2018 03:30 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pleasure dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Tonight was a perfect example of a pleasure dog, made 2 drops had 2 strikes and 2 trees with coons in both trees and back home by 10pm, this dog is a super pleasure dog, night in and night out. Deadly accurate, straight on coon and handles like a dream. Dave

Sounds like a hound I could enjoy!

Old Post 11-09-2018 03:47 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pleasure dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards

Sounds like an awesome coon dog...how does he do in the competition world?

Old Post 11-09-2018 09:59 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

We made him a night champion at a young age, he has not been hunted in competition after that. He is hunted almost 100% by himself, as are all of our dogs. Dave

Old Post 11-09-2018 08:19 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Bruce they hold them back petting them up when other dogs are cut in front of them and when cut they leave barking. When done consistantly when young they get a dog that is wide open in the woods that can be tuned back to not leave barking but when immediately out of site or some just want them to never shut up. Some of us it drives crazy others see it as a cast winner when it ends parked under coons.
x2 on that Cheyenne you can train a dog to do most anything if you put enough time in them the majority of pups are started wrong to begin with by people that knows less than the dog does most pups have natural abllity most trainers don’t they do what some big time handler told them and he probably never trained a dog in his life. Very few know the art to training a dog. I trained a few in my time but any more rather let someone else help out. Had Jason daughtry start one for me he did it the right way and he has made the best all around hound I ever hunted.jason never once braged on him just said he was the loudest dog with the biggest heart that was ever at his place.

Old Post 11-10-2018 03:23 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Re: When you say "pleasure"??

quote:
Originally posted by OLD TIMER
Are you talking about a hound that hunts out 150-500 yards. Opens when they smell coon scent and then again when they have it figured out which way it's going? Then open enough to tell you they still have it and where they're at so you don't have to get out the beep-beep or TV screen to know? Bawling as they go and the warmer it gets the more they tell you? When it climbs they let you know with a nice long locate, then check the tree to be sure it didn't go on and come back with a nice steady chop? All the while as you set on the tailgate with the Grandkids and enjoy some treats Grandma packed or if you're by yourself you are setting on a log, next to a creek enjoying the stars above? And is this hound about 65-75 pound male with a nice square head, long ears, about 25-26 inches tall with pleasing eyes and a personality that everyone is their friend? And he doesn't care if you road him, walk him or just cast him, he has brains to check in if there's no coon at the drop?

I was just wondering because if it is then my Zach out of GrCh GrNiteCh PR Hoyle Creek Screamer and NiteCh PR Hoyle Creeks Red Ruby is a pleasure hound.

SCREEMER WOULD GO A LITTLE MORE THAN 500 YRDS BUT WAS STILL THE KIND OF DOG HE REPRODUCED, BUT IN COMPUTITION HE SELDOM LOST A CAST.

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 11-10-2018 12:34 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Oakla Red

Back when I was big into the coonhounds there was a fellow who lived 1/4 of a mile away from me that had a kennel full of redbones. One I remember was a handsome male dog that he made Gr Sh Ch off of Miller's Valley Rocket I believe it was. The dog was a coon dog but dead silent and was a go yonder type dog. It was in the day when few had tracking collars and a deep hunting silent dog in mountainous country was not much fun.

I've always liked the looks of well built Redbone with low set ears........the houndy ones....with a tight coat and put together with showdog conformation.
Not many around New England hunted Redbones in those days. For the type of coon hound I've always enjoyed hunting with I really could care less about it's breed as long as it has the skills, conformation and the handle I like to see in a coonhound that makes them a pleasure to follow!

I better be careful here..........I may just talk myself back into a coonhound if I hang out around this forum long! LOL!

Old Post 11-10-2018 02:14 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dan

I hope you can find you a true pleasure dog and get back to coon hunting. It stays in your blood, I know! Hunted tonight 2 drops 2 trees looked at 3 coons and was back home by 8;30 pm . 2 to 3 trees a night in these mountains does enough for me these days and we don't kill a bunch of coons. Dave

Old Post 11-11-2018 05:12 AM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have been reading these post and I firmly believe what makes a true pleasure hound or a true competition hound or any true hound. Is the man hunting the hound. We all have our styles and locations to hunt. Taking a hound out two or three times a month doesn't teach it anything about being a pleasure to hunt or a comp dog. Feeding, loading and handling your dog along with hunting it on a regular basis. Is what gets one to operate the way you want it to. You can't read about doing it, you can't think about doing it. You can't wish you were doing it. You just have to do it and those that do. Love it, and they have the type of hounds they prefer. These dogs are not born to stand still and wait for a collar to be put on their necks, just like they are not born to hunt the style of hunting you do. They are born to hunt. The hunter molds them.

Old Post 11-11-2018 12:04 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I just love it when they jump up on or put their feet up on the tailgate, stick their head up in the air and stand real still until you put their tracking collar on them. You can't teach that.

MINE WANTS TO LICK ME IN THE FACE WHEN IM COLLARING HER UP

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 11-11-2018 01:52 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Conkey

I agree whole heartedly. You can't leave a hound in the pen or on the end of its chain 90 % of the time and expect it to perform and handle like those hunted and handled regularly. Hopefully I haven't given the impression that I think you can.

Old Post 11-11-2018 02:01 PM
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

Mr conkey

x2 we all have our favorite style of hound one not being any better than the other but I think we all love this sport and a good hound I'm 55 years old I've been hunting these Tennessee mountains for 30+ years 4 to 5 nights a week and been blessed to have had a few good hounds but the real blessing is the people I've met I am grateful for the service men/women that make it possible for me to do what I do.

Old Post 11-11-2018 02:15 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

X2 amen.

Tar

Old Post 11-11-2018 02:18 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I have been reading these post and I firmly believe what makes a true pleasure hound or a true competition hound or any true hound. Is the man hunting the hound. We all have our styles and locations to hunt. Taking a hound out two or three times a month doesn't teach it anything about being a pleasure to hunt or a comp dog. Feeding, loading and handling your dog along with hunting it on a regular basis. Is what gets one to operate the way you want it to. You can't read about doing it, you can't think about doing it. You can't wish you were doing it. You just have to do it and those that do. Love it, and they have the type of hounds they prefer. These dogs are not born to stand still and wait for a collar to be put on their necks, just like they are not born to hunt the style of hunting you do. They are born to hunt. The hunter molds them.

I disagree. A pleasure dog is just that, a pleasure to hunt. They must be smart and eager to please. You will not have to chase one down to collar up, you seldom need a lead, you will not have to drive around the block to cut him off, He will work alone or with company, he will not ever be "jockeying for position" at the tree, he will not bark and wear out the floor in the kennel, he will be an honest strike dog, he will hunt out a woods and check in and load himself. They will be very accurate and they will hunt the same after a month long layoff or night after night. You do not mold a pleasure dog, if they are an honest, good pleasure dog, they will bend you to them. These hounds are Naturals. IMHO these dogs will seldom have an all grand pedigree.

Old Post 11-11-2018 02:56 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

quote:
Originally posted by Stan Ferrell
I disagree. A pleasure dog is just that, a pleasure to hunt. They must be smart and eager to please. You will not have to chase one down to collar up, you seldom need a lead, you will not have to drive around the block to cut him off, He will work alone or with company, he will not ever be "jockeying for position" at the tree, he will not bark and wear out the floor in the kennel, he will be an honest strike dog, he will hunt out a woods and check in and load himself. They will be very accurate and they will hunt the same after a month long layoff or night after night. You do not mold a pleasure dog, if they are an honest, good pleasure dog, they will bend you to them. These hounds are Naturals. IMHO these dogs will seldom have an all grand pedigree.

I agree with both but lean more towards Stan's post...

Old Post 11-11-2018 03:59 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I think genetics plays a far more important role than many of us realize. That being said the genetics are brought to light only when given the opportunity to be displayed. Yes, a trained hound that has a long layoff of several months won't have to relearn if you will what it is suppose to do when finally turned loose. Yet, most any of us can see there is a definite difference to how that laid off hound performs its genetically inherited traits when it gets back into shape. The good ones quickly come back to operating almost like a machine.

No doubt in my mind but what genetics are involved in hounds that are biddable, the way they hunt out ( or don't!), open trail, cold trial, disposition around the tree, disposed to run trash, etc., etc.

Dr. John Vanderbeck once told me the type of people he bought hounds from was as important to him as the hounds themselves. Chew on that for awhile........

Old Post 11-11-2018 05:27 PM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Pleasure Hounds

Genetics plays the biggest part of highly intelligent hounds that have a extreme desire to please their owners. I seldom only hunt one dog at a time because I enjoy seeing dogs compete for superiority. This is my greatest enjoyment from hunting. As I believe the dogs sense that I want them to excel. I demand that dogs are first and first type dogs from ability and will not feed a sore looser type of dog. I try to hunt 5 nights a week and love a hound who is competitive against the other dogs instead of the clock. Once they smell coon I want them act like they are the only dog in the woods and use all their inherited and trained ability to tree the most coon in the least amount of time in the least amount of realistate with the least amount of mistakes. To me pleasure dogs must be competitive. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Ken Risley

Old Post 11-11-2018 05:58 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pleasure Hounds

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
Genetics plays the biggest part of highly intelligent hounds that have a extreme desire to please their owners. I seldom only hunt one dog at a time because I enjoy seeing dogs compete for superiority. This is my greatest enjoyment from hunting. As I believe the dogs sense that I want them to excel. I demand that dogs are first and first type dogs from ability and will not feed a sore looser type of dog. I try to hunt 5 nights a week and love a hound who is competitive against the other dogs instead of the clock. Once they smell coon I want them act like they are the only dog in the woods and use all their inherited and trained ability to tree the most coon in the least amount of time in the least amount of realistate with the least amount of mistakes. To me pleasure dogs must be competitive. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Ken Risley
x2

Old Post 11-11-2018 06:08 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
I think genetics plays a far more important role than many of us realize. That being said the genetics are brought to light only when given the opportunity to be displayed. Yes, a trained hound that has a long layoff of several months won't have to relearn if you will what it is suppose to do when finally turned loose. Yet, most any of us can see there is a definite difference to how that laid off hound performs its genetically inherited traits when it gets back into shape. The good ones quickly come back to operating almost like a machine.

No doubt in my mind but what genetics are involved in hounds that are biddable, the way they hunt out ( or don't!), open trail, cold trial, disposition around the tree, disposed to run trash, etc., etc.

Dr. John Vanderbeck once told me the type of people he bought hounds from was as important to him as the hounds themselves. Chew on that for awhile........

100 percent agree...

their is a certain amount of training for any dog...

we can even feed many tracks to a cull and he is still a cull...but he will be a top dog in the cull dog world...

when we feed lots of tracks or constantly tone in a dog to make a decent dog then so be it...but remember that when breeding better dogs...we will gravitate towards breeding those types of pups as well...
I breed my own because I can test my pups for natural ability...I am looking for pups that naturally wind and those that naturally roll out when turned out in the woods for the first time...I am looking for those that find quickly...these are a pleasure to start training...training is minimal...I feed them a few raw wild hog ears when they are real hungry as 5 week old pups...preferably a wild hog head several times as little pups to put hog in their minds...as they get older I let them bay a shoat a few times so they know what I want...I also want to see how they bay...
once they know I want hog and it is acceptable to bay and catch hogs I break them off of deer before they go to the woods for the first time...gamey pups that don't quit will run a deer for a good while and can ruin a good hunt not to mention it is a setback...

once ready for the woods then I feed them in to a hog race or I cast them on fresh hog sign...this minimizes trashing

other than feeding a little hog and the few hog baying's...my training is minimal...to leash, load, gunfire and socializing before the first hunt is about all I do...I put more emphasis on testing for natural ability than on hunting because they should of been selected for those traits...

doing it this way is pretty easy and a pleasure to hunt these pups and dogs...breeding for natural ability first and all else falls into place...and setting the stage for the pups to succeed is next...

this applies to coon dogs, cat dogs, bear dogs, bird dogs...all working dogs...

Old Post 11-11-2018 06:17 PM
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I truly enjoy Pleasure hunting big time competition style dogs. Big Mouthed dogs with huge motors and coons when they tree. I completely understand that to a lot of ppl walking a mile in between split trees isn’t what they would consider pleasureable but at 25 I’m having a blast!! I pleasure hunt to get ready for comp hunts I run the times and judge the dogs and make corrections based on the rules and what I think they need to be doing. If your going to be successful you have to do your homework. I also enjoy taking one off of its momma as a baby and seeing it progress and putting it in the winners circle. To each is there own I wouldn’t feed one that comes and checks in and a lot of guy wouldn’t feed mine. That’s the beautiful thing about this sport. You can train one to do just about anything if your smart enough. If it’s got the heart and the brains I can make a barking automatic 100 strike dog that won’t back if it’s life depended on it or take the same pup and make him stone silent. I prefer an in between Top end strike dog that barks just enough to make my dad hate it lol. It’s all in what you like and there is one out there for everyone.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 11-17-2018 01:05 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There are a lot of handlers/hunters just like you that "pleasure hunt" their dogs solely to train them or get them ready for comp hunts. That is what makes it terribly hard for an older pleasure hunter to do any good in a competition hunt. So a lot of us just quit trying. Y'all are young, full of energy and way too serious. I think that I used to be like that but I can't remember.

Old Post 11-17-2018 01:05 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote