UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > White River Refuge
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Wormy
UKC Forum Member

White River Refuge

Had plans on going over thanksgiving but I think it will be flooded.. Anyone know what the river level can be and still navigate around and not get in trouble due to high water?

thanks

Trader's Midnight Money RIP
Dempsey’s Whiz Bang
Wipeout Weapon
NtCh 1000 $ Baby

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-05-2018 08:08 PM
Wormy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wormy Click here to Send Wormy a Private Message Click Here to Email Wormy Find more posts by Wormy Add Wormy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Read on another site that the FWS had sent emails to folks with deer permits regarding closures of several camping areas due to flooding during the gun deer hunt. Said the hunt will be closed if the White River gauge at St. Charles reaches 23 ft and Norrel Lock and Dam#1 reach 145 simultaneously.
The problem with the water is that even when it's still open but water is high, it's super easy to get dogs across water that are hard to get your hands on, and the hunters get concentrated in the higher ground areas.
I hate it for those that had cabins rented and made plans to go, but the coon population has seemed down a little the last few years and could probably use a year to rebound.

Last edited by Cory Highfill on 11-06-2018 at 01:26 AM

Old Post 11-06-2018 01:19 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buchcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

flooding

where can we look up information for specific area of the refuge regarding this information? we have a coon hunt booked soon.

Old Post 11-06-2018 03:26 PM
buchcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buchcoonhunter Click here to Send buchcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email buchcoonhunter Find more posts by buchcoonhunter Add buchcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Bring a canoe or something to get your dog if you're going this year..

Old Post 11-06-2018 03:33 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wormy
UKC Forum Member

You don’t think the water will go down in a week or so?
We have a cabin rented over thanksgiving weekend.

Dempsey’s Whiz Bang
Wipeout Weapon
NtCh 1000 $ Baby

Old Post 11-06-2018 08:28 PM
Wormy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wormy Click here to Send Wormy a Private Message Click Here to Email Wormy Find more posts by Wormy Add Wormy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fatty b
UKC Forum Member

Not fun hunting when flooded

Old Post 11-06-2018 10:36 PM
Fatty b is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fatty b Click here to Send Fatty b a Private Message Find more posts by Fatty b Add Fatty b to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Fielder
UKC Forum Member

The first year I planned to go, 2009 was a postponed trip due to flooding. In 2016, we got our week's hunt in but the water was coming up fast by the last night. It's not fun when you can't get around or if you get dogs behind high water. I'm planning to go but will likely postpone if the water rises. I can take my kayak to ferry my dog across if necessary but I won't likely, at my age, take that chance. I talked to my buddy Nubbin Moore this morning and we're just going to watch it day by day. I'm foregoing buying my license ahead of time as I usually do. I can always stop at the Walmart in Helena if necessary. Good luck to those that plan to go. One of the things that makes those big beautiful open woods is the periodic flooding the area receives. This may be a year we have to sit it out.

Old Post 11-08-2018 05:29 PM
Steve Fielder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Fielder Visit Steve Fielder's homepage! Find more posts by Steve Fielder Add Steve Fielder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fatty b
UKC Forum Member

Our first year of going it was flooded and took us about two hours to get to dogs treed about 800 yards from us

Old Post 11-08-2018 06:01 PM
Fatty b is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fatty b Click here to Send Fatty b a Private Message Find more posts by Fatty b Add Fatty b to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Water levels aren't looking too good for this year's hunt on the South Unit. A lot of roads are closed now.

Old Post 11-08-2018 06:40 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Was told the river should fall 1.5 ft by the 18th. Was reported to me that it was a sharp fall and if no more heavy rains Coon Camp 18 will be rocking. I wouldn’t miss going there if I had to put my dog on a 100 foot check cord to keep him from deep water. I can tree more coons that week that way there than 2 months of free casting at home

Old Post 11-09-2018 01:36 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Supposed to rain all week 19th thru 23rd.

Old Post 11-09-2018 01:37 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

The guy at Maddox bay acted like that was not going to affect it due to it being spotty. Who knows. Me and my frog togs, waders, and check coed are ready

Old Post 11-09-2018 04:06 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I hope that he is right. I think that rains up North that empy into the Mississippi are what affect it the most.

Old Post 11-09-2018 05:14 PM
Wormy
UKC Forum Member

High Ridge when are u headed down? We are supposed to be headed out the Friday after Thanksgiving for a few days. I hope the water drops enough to go..

Dempsey’s Whiz Bang
Wipeout Weapon
NtCh 1000 $ Baby

Old Post 11-10-2018 10:55 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

my dog handles well and can be called in when he gets treed across high water . still yet though it is the threat of him getting hypothermia in the cold water that gives me pause in turning loose in what could be a dangerous situation .

Old Post 11-11-2018 01:30 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Thomasg get him a sweater lol. Just joking.

We are headed there next weekend for a week then going back down dec 2 for a week

Richard, you are correct the northern rains could affect the Ohio and in turn affect the Mississippi which would cause it to rise. Just chance one will have to take.

Old Post 11-11-2018 03:24 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If the water is too high, then you just camp out or hang out in your cabin and still have a good time talking about coon hunting.

Old Post 11-11-2018 03:07 PM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
Bring a canoe or something to get your dog if you're going this year..
It's bad right now. The ground is very saturated and 100% of rain tomorrow ain't helping matters. Guys running the 30"+ atv tires are leaving ruts standard tires can't handle, so those brave enough to go this year if you don't have a winch bring a come along and lots of rope..

Old Post 11-11-2018 04:50 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I was down there deer hunting. Unless we get a lot more rain you should be fine as far as flooding goes but do bring something to get out if you get stuck. The four wheeler trails are bad already.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 11-12-2018 05:57 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wormy
UKC Forum Member

Well I guess if the river falls to 18’ which it is predicted to do by next Thursday, we will be headed that way next Friday morning..

Dempsey’s Whiz Bang
Wipeout Weapon
NtCh 1000 $ Baby

Old Post 11-12-2018 07:40 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

watch out for the bears . they seen to migrate to higher ground when the water gets high .

Old Post 11-15-2018 12:36 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote