UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Changing the length of the Hunt Time.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Changing the length of the Hunt Time.

If seems to be a hot topic in several KC's and on several forums and social media. Most of the discussion is about the out of shape people. I have far greater concerns.

I have always been of the belief that our hunt rules dictate the type of hounds we will end up with. The winners that fit the rules will be bred. A few years of breeding those winners and offspring will mold a different style of hound.

What qualities or faults gives a dog the advantage in a one hour hunt over dogs competing for two hours. I can think of several faults but they seem to be ramped now in the hunts. I can only assume they get worse. Is there any qualities the honest hound will bring to compete and win that might be carried on. One good thing if being leash locked is removed is the fact that having a coon and treeing several during the hunt should be the flavor of the day and crown the winner. Thats a quality we need more of.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-23-2019 05:51 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

The only good quality I can think of is accuracy. No time to waste making circle or slick trees. A consistently accurate dog will win his share but will consistently be beat by one that is just as accurate that is struck off the leash.

Old Post 07-23-2019 06:07 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

The right rules where you can keep cutting behind ole babble ,deep , and alone will help some. But reality is nobody has 2 or 3 spots where a dog can blow a mile in 15 minutes to get treed just to be away from the other dogs you got 4 of them in one cast scattered all over the place it is a mess. No wonder they can’t find enough guides anymore. As long as the $$$ kc’s reward them for faults we got to deal with them also.

Tar

Old Post 07-23-2019 07:20 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

You hear the main reason for cutting back hunt time is because of lack of land. At the same time deep an lonely is the flavor of the day an here to stay. Something just doesn’t add up to me. One is because of the other. So someone feel free to explain that to me?

Old Post 07-23-2019 10:02 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
You hear the main reason for cutting back hunt time is because of lack of land. At the same time deep an lonely is the flavor of the day an here to stay. Something just doesn’t add up to me. One is because of the other. So someone feel free to explain that to me?

All I can tell you is what I have seen. At the local level we all pretty much stay together not much trouble with deep and alone. Now you go to a hunt with thousands of $$$$$ on the line that’s where you get babble, deep and alone cover late and get ate. Or at least the finalist are not the boys that got sent home early they just donated the winnings lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-23-2019 10:33 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I really don’t have a problem with deep an alone. If that is what a man wants to hunt so be it. None of us has any control over land lost, logging an so forth. Deer hunters will have their way because they stick together, coonhunters seem like they could give a care less. I mean do we continue to cut hunt time an still hunt the same style dog that you know is gonna end up on property that it has no business being on? I know it’s what is winning, an this whole competition thing is more about who can out handle who than it being bout bettering the dog. But wow, start breeding an thinking bout what’s gonna work before it’s to late.

Old Post 07-23-2019 10:54 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
Tar, I really don’t have a problem with deep an alone. If that is what a man wants to hunt so be it. None of us has any control over land lost, logging an so forth. Deer hunters will have their way because they stick together, coonhunters seem like they could give a care less. I mean do we continue to cut hunt time an still hunt the same style dog that you know is gonna end up on property that it has no business being on? I know it’s what is winning, an this whole competition thing is more about who can out handle who than it being bout bettering the dog. But wow, start breeding an thinking bout what’s gonna work before it’s to late.

Truth pill time :

They don’t care what me and you like they make their living with them that’s why they like them.

Tar

Old Post 07-23-2019 11:06 PM
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Truth pill time :

They don’t care what me and you like they make their living with them that’s why they like them.

Tar

I guess so. Doesn’t seem like very good future plans if you asked me. Ride the horse til it falls dead.

Old Post 07-23-2019 11:11 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Hot and fast

quote:
Originally posted by Jgarrett
The only good quality I can think of is accuracy. No time to waste making circle or slick trees. A consistently accurate dog will win his share but will consistently be beat by one that is just as accurate that is struck off the leash.

JMO they will produce dogs that stay quite, run up on him and chase him up. Not track dogs but sight and tree dogs. As far as advantages to hour hunts, that is all in what you want in your hound. I'm waiting for a hunt that the first one to tree with the coon wins. Closest first dog after you cut them with the coon wins hunt over.

Old Post 07-23-2019 11:14 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Hot and fast

quote:
Originally posted by nextcoonhunters
JMO they will produce dogs that stay quite, run up on him and chase him up. Not track dogs but sight and tree dogs. As far as advantages to hour hunts, that is all in what you want in your hound. I'm waiting for a hunt that the first one to tree with the coon wins. Closest first dog after you cut them with the coon wins hunt over.

I don’t know what nobody else hunts but I can get 3 singles treed in an hour. Boys hunt an hour and a half in those pro hunts and win with 125+ a lot !! Depends how you look at it.

Tar

Old Post 07-23-2019 11:19 PM
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

Throw old 3/hr in the dog box and go get the money. Pretty good pay check. Don't know how many Pro Hunts are won with 125, but I am thinking it is not A LOT.

Old Post 07-24-2019 12:12 AM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by J Gearing
Throw old 3/hr in the dog box and go get the money. Pretty good pay check. Don't know how many Pro Hunts are won with 125, but I am thinking it is not A LOT.

Go back and look at the scores at all the major $$$ hunts a lot of cast are won with 125+ or less don’t take my word it’s in black and white. I got old can’t keep up but my dog can 3 singles is very common in an hour and it ain’t easy hunting here either but you got to have a dog that can tree more than just a hot pop up and not blow out of the country.

Right now grapes are ripe coons everywhere.

Tar

Old Post 07-24-2019 12:24 AM
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

A little black and white on Pro Hunts.
Shelburn,IN 250+
Memphis,MO final4......125+275+325+400+
Michigan over 400+
Ohio 250+
Junction Ill 275+
Louisiana 200+
Walterboro SC 200+
McAllister OK 175+
Got tired of looking.

Old Post 07-24-2019 02:00 AM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Louisiana, South Carolina, Oklahoma and one of the dogs in Missouri all scored one coon ...

Old Post 07-24-2019 02:41 AM
AAThoundhunter is online now Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by AAThoundhunter
Louisiana, South Carolina, Oklahoma and one of the dogs in Missouri all scored one coon ...

They also advance with goose eggs too but we can’t read !

It’s all just a big misunderstanding. You pick out the hunts that have the scores you want. Superstakes coming up those 4 yr old puppy’s scores I will put on here for you and that’s an 1 1/2 hr hunt.

Tar

Old Post 07-24-2019 02:53 AM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Go back and look at the scores at all the major $$$ hunts a lot of cast are won with 125+ or less don’t take my word it’s in black and white. I got old can’t keep up but my dog can 3 singles is very common in an hour and it ain’t easy hunting here either but you got to have a dog that can tree more than just a hot pop up and not blow out of the country.

Right now grapes are ripe coons everywhere.

Tar

How many did your tree in Georgia that year in 2 hours? Was it six? Sorry Tar. I just just couldn’t resist.

Old Post 07-24-2019 03:44 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Tar,
You will have to find someone else to go around and around with. Your statement was....Boys hunt an hour and a half in those PRO HUNTS and win with 125+ a lot. Yes a score of zero can and has won a cast. I do not look on here much. Usually don't have the time. Learned a few things in almost 69 years. One is we are all entitled to our opinions but if you state something as fact it needs to be just that. No cherry pickin. Just scrolled through the results and included them as they came. Simple as that. Not really sure why I even responded except that 125+ just did not seem right. Not an issue with PKC vs UKC as my club needs both to survive.

Old Post 07-24-2019 03:47 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
How many did your tree in Georgia that year in 2 hours? Was it six? Sorry Tar. I just just couldn’t resist.

I don’t know I didn’t go lol. I was laid up at home with knee surgery but that one I am glad I missed to much drama lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-24-2019 06:41 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness.... Tarbaby, we all know that you just love drama.

Old Post 07-24-2019 12:27 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness.... Tarbaby, we all know that you just love drama.

This iPad is amazing I can learn about all this coonhunting stuff I am like short circuit Johnny 5 I need input !

Tarbaby

Old Post 07-24-2019 12:44 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Hot and fast

quote:
I don’t know what nobody else hunts but I can get 3 singles treed in an hour. Boys hunt an hour and a half in those pro hunts and win with 125+ a lot !! Depends how you look at it.

Tar

4 dog cast. All split 4 directions.
Yep 4 singles in just over a hour hunt time is over. Winner of $kc+200 ukc+225
Sounds about right.

Old Post 07-24-2019 01:32 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Hot and fast

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
4 dog cast. All split 4 directions.
Yep 4 singles in just over a hour hunt time is over. Winner of $kc+200 ukc+225
Sounds about right.

Your not counting the minus for slicks and ole cover late get ate making them leave. They play by plays they get minused for one thing or anouther.

Tar

Old Post 07-24-2019 01:54 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot and fast

quote:
Your not counting the minus for slicks and ole cover late get ate making them leave. They play by plays they get minused for one thing or anouther.

Tar

Tar you're thinking "Cover Late Get Ate" is for the covering dog to run the others off the tree that's been treed. When in fact it's for the dog that's been treed runs the covering backpacking covering puke off.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-24-2019 06:49 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot and fast

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Tar you're thinking "Cover Late Get Ate" is for the covering dog to run the others off the tree that's been treed. When in fact it's for the dog that's been treed runs the covering backpacking covering puke off.

I'm curious how long does a dog have to roll in for 2nd tree before it's considered a backpacking covering puke ? 2 mins...30 seconds. ...10 seconds?

Old Post 07-24-2019 09:34 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I know I am an old , fat, washed up big dummy buuuuuuut a mean dog don’t care if he is first at the tree or last somthen getten whooped !

Just sayen.

Tar

Old Post 07-24-2019 09:39 PM