UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Skunk smell on pup
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CJR
New UKC Forum Member

Skunk smell on pup

Whats best stuff to remve skunk smell?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-04-2012 06:23 PM
CJR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CJR Click here to Send CJR a Private Message Click Here to Email CJR Find more posts by CJR Add CJR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jimmie legrand
UKC Forum Member

time

REBEL TANK
my girls rebels blck raven rebels honeydo and rebels ruby
the freak dozer

Old Post 02-04-2012 06:52 PM
jimmie legrand is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jimmie legrand Click here to Send jimmie legrand a Private Message Click Here to Email jimmie legrand Find more posts by jimmie legrand Add jimmie legrand to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ONEDOGNIGHT
Banned

COFFEE

Old Post 02-04-2012 07:12 PM
ONEDOGNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ONEDOGNIGHT Click here to Send ONEDOGNIGHT a Private Message Click Here to Email ONEDOGNIGHT Find more posts by ONEDOGNIGHT Add ONEDOGNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paints-n-cows
UKC Forum Member

There is some commercial stuff available at Petsmart that will take it off. I don't remember the name though

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

Old Post 02-04-2012 07:31 PM
Paints-n-cows is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paints-n-cows Click here to Send Paints-n-cows a Private Message Click Here to Email Paints-n-cows Find more posts by Paints-n-cows Add Paints-n-cows to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CJR
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks guys for the input info!

Old Post 02-04-2012 07:50 PM
CJR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CJR Click here to Send CJR a Private Message Click Here to Email CJR Find more posts by CJR Add CJR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

skunk smell

bath him in tomato juice

Old Post 02-04-2012 07:59 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mauser06
UKC Forum Member

when i wash skunk hides from trapping, i wash them in peroxide, baking soda and a squirt of soap...

cant remember the proportions..think i use a big bottle, and a real small box...

not sure on its safe-ness for a dog...could mix it up in a bucket, put some rubber gloves on and "lather" him up with the mix and let sit a minute and give him a bath...but not sure its safe for a dog or not....

will take any smell off pretty much instantly...

'PR' Trackman's Dizzy Duke

Old Post 02-04-2012 08:13 PM
mauser06 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mauser06 Click here to Send mauser06 a Private Message Find more posts by mauser06 Add mauser06 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

There is a product called SKUNK OFF. I've been told it works okay. Never had to use it myself.LOL!

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 02-04-2012 08:18 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
starplott
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mauser06
when i wash skunk hides from trapping, i wash them in peroxide, baking soda and a squirt of soap...

cant remember the proportions..think i use a big bottle, and a real small box...

not sure on its safe-ness for a dog...could mix it up in a bucket, put some rubber gloves on and "lather" him up with the mix and let sit a minute and give him a bath...but not sure its safe for a dog or not....

will take any smell off pretty much instantly...

I've found this formula to work the best, and cheapest too. 1pt peroxide, 1/4 c baking soda, 1TSP dawn or joy dish soap.

Mix it together and keep mixing it as you put it on to keep soda mixed well. Let it sit for 3 mins and wash off.

Stink comes back mildly when dog gets wet, but goes away when dry. When done w 3 dogs the house didn't even smell like a skunky dog was washed, let alone 3.

Did NOT have same effect on collars though.

Old Post 02-04-2012 10:40 PM
starplott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for starplott Click here to Send starplott a Private Message Click Here to Email starplott Find more posts by starplott Add starplott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KardinalKennels

quote:
Originally posted by starplott

THATS WHAT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT WORKS ON THE TRACKING COLLAR.

Old Post 02-04-2012 11:04 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
starplott
UKC Forum Member

I did wash and soak the collars in it, it helped some....but I think jimmie gave the best answer, 'time'.

Old Post 02-04-2012 11:11 PM
starplott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for starplott Click here to Send starplott a Private Message Click Here to Email starplott Find more posts by starplott Add starplott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KardinalKennels

Time for collars takes about a yr or more. I had a young dog that killed one, hasn't touched one since and it will run as far away from a skunk as he can get now, even cowered from his collar when I put it on him.

Collar still smelt like skunk expecially when it got wet. I soaked the collar 10 times or more with the same mixture you described. Next time it happens, think I will bury the collar in the ground for a while, maybe that will work.

Old Post 02-04-2012 11:26 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C. Burns 17
UKC Forum Member

there is a bottle

of stuff called skunk remover its in a white bottle with a red lid. stuff works miracles ! from cleanin a dog to cleanin dog collars i mix it with hot water dip my rag an wipe down the collar let it stand for few mins then rinse it off real good let it dry out side an in hours can bring it in side an cant even tell !!!!!!!!!! an for the dogs it says to give em a bath in it an let it soak for little bit i just take a rag an wipe them down with it then take a clean cloth an water an wipe em clean, stuff works really well i couldnt believe it,

LightNing~StrIke~KenNels

Old Post 02-04-2012 11:55 PM
C. Burns 17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C. Burns 17 Click here to Send C. Burns 17 a Private Message Click Here to Email C. Burns 17 Find more posts by C. Burns 17 Add C. Burns 17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLJohnson
UKC Forum Member

Well, you can use vinegar, gets the skunk smell of great, but then you have to get the vinegar smell off.

Middle Creek Kennels:

Home of:

-GRNITECH Ball's Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
GRCH GRNITECH PR' Crow and Grant's Cutter
-GRCH GRNITECH PR' Night Heat Abby

NITECH PR' Middle Creek's Stylish Kate (1st place 2011 UKC Youth National open hunt and overall high scoring treeing walker female. 1st Place Plott Sectional and overall high scoring dog. Qualified for the 2012 UKC World Championship. Qualified for the 2012 Youth Nationals.)

-NITECH PR' MC Queen & Fergys Wipeout Zack
'PR' Wipeout Pebbles
-NTECH PR' Packrat

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Hard Knockin Stylish Hayes
GRNITECH ‘PR’ Ball’s Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Schmersal’s Stylish Anna

NITECH ‘PR’ Middle Creek’s Stylish Banjo

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Turpin’s Insane Cain
NITECH ‘PR’ Johnson’s Extreme Jane
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Treesinging Rambling Roxy

Old Post 02-05-2012 01:17 AM
CLJohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLJohnson Click here to Send CLJohnson a Private Message Find more posts by CLJohnson Add CLJohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Re: skunk smell

quote:
Originally posted by hillbilly56
bath him in tomato juice
Yep it works good boys !!

Old Post 02-05-2012 02:09 AM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOCTOR LIPPER
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: skunk smell

quote:
Originally posted by chuck west
Yep it works good boys !!

I also agree with Chuck on this (Tomato juice)

Old Post 02-05-2012 04:12 AM
DOCTOR LIPPER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOCTOR LIPPER Click here to Send DOCTOR LIPPER a Private Message Click Here to Email DOCTOR LIPPER Find more posts by DOCTOR LIPPER Add DOCTOR LIPPER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lauraroeder
UKC Forum Member

turtle mans remedy.....

in tub with lil water , add following...apple cider vinegar....1/2 cut raw potatoes, tomato juice...mix in tub....wash accordingly. good luck...lol! worked on him....LOL!!!!

AMAZEN COONHOUNDS

Old Post 02-05-2012 06:02 AM
lauraroeder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lauraroeder Click here to Send lauraroeder a Private Message Find more posts by lauraroeder Add lauraroeder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ONEDOGNIGHT
Banned

Re: turtle mans remedy.....

quote:
Originally posted by lauraroeder
in tub with lil water , add following...apple cider vinegar....1/2 cut raw potatoes, tomato juice...mix in tub....wash accordingly. good luck...lol! worked on him....LOL!!!!
LIVE ACTION!!!

Old Post 02-05-2012 06:04 AM
ONEDOGNIGHT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ONEDOGNIGHT Click here to Send ONEDOGNIGHT a Private Message Click Here to Email ONEDOGNIGHT Find more posts by ONEDOGNIGHT Add ONEDOGNIGHT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ncplotts
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I've found this formula to work the best, and cheapest too. 1pt peroxide, 1/4 c baking soda, 1TSP dawn or joy dish soap.

Mix it together and keep mixing it as you put it on to keep soda mixed well. Let it sit for 3 mins and wash off.

Stink comes back mildly when dog gets wet, but goes away when dry. When done w 3 dogs the house didn't even smell like a skunky dog was washed, let alone 3.

I have tried several commercial and home remedys......this works better than any i've tried

Old Post 02-05-2012 12:57 PM
ncplotts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ncplotts Click here to Send ncplotts a Private Message Find more posts by ncplotts Add ncplotts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jjlute
UKC Forum Member

mine just got sprayed and I used a product called odor mute. Just mix a little with water dump it on them and presto chango the smell was gone. I was surprised how easy it worked and how well it worked

RIP : GRNITECH 'PR' HARDWOOD HOLLY - 2012 Ashland Bluetick Days Friday Nite Ch Winner and double cast winner, 2012 WTDA Grand National Champion

JJ Lute - 330-987-7125

"Speed is great, accuracy is EVERYTHING" - Wyatt Erp

Old Post 02-05-2012 03:24 PM
jjlute is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jjlute Click here to Send jjlute a Private Message Click Here to Email jjlute Find more posts by jjlute Add jjlute to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shawnfitzgerald
UKC Forum Member

peroxide lemon juice dawn dish soap works the best for me

Old Post 02-05-2012 03:48 PM
shawnfitzgerald is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shawnfitzgerald Click here to Send shawnfitzgerald a Private Message Find more posts by shawnfitzgerald Add shawnfitzgerald to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Tomato Juice

Boys ,if you buy some in the plastic jugs put them in your tool box or top storage ,you can use it right in the woods or where ever ,,,,plus if you need to you can drink it,,unlike some of the stuff you guys are mixing ,,,lol

Old Post 02-05-2012 04:44 PM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I've never tried to get skunk off a dog but I did find this formula cut down on cut smell own collars, only thing I've found to work yet

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 02-05-2012 10:27 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hopkins/Lipper
UKC Forum Member

SKUNK ODOR...

Massengill Douche is absolutely the best I know of. Seriously .

Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/Lipper

ADIOS LIGHTNING
HOPKINS CASH
AND NOW...
2015 PERFORMANCE SIRES
2015 SUPERSTAKES SIRES
2015 CHKC SUPER STUDS
LIPPER'S DR. LAW
AND
LIPPER'S IMPACT

Old Post 02-05-2012 11:19 PM
Hopkins/Lipper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hopkins/Lipper Click here to Send Hopkins/Lipper a Private Message Click Here to Email Hopkins/Lipper Find more posts by Hopkins/Lipper Add Hopkins/Lipper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mprice
UKC Forum Member

Re: SKUNK ODOR...

quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins/Lipper
Massengill Douche is absolutely the best I know of. Seriously .

Tom Hopkins
Hopkins/Lipper

Or, the equivalent off brand from the Dollar Store (cheaper!) does o.k., too.

Old Post 02-05-2012 11:49 PM
mprice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mprice Click here to Send mprice a Private Message Click Here to Email mprice Find more posts by mprice Add mprice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote