UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > parvo ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
David Slater
UKC Forum Member

parvo ?

I have a gyp that survived this without help of a vet. I was thinking of breeding her question is would pups get it from her, maybe have some immunity against it or would make no difference any advice would be welcome.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-30-2012 01:11 AM
David Slater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Slater Click here to Send David Slater a Private Message Click Here to Email David Slater Find more posts by David Slater Add David Slater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

I would Think it would make no difference in the Pups Immune System ..

exp sence I'v been thru parvo so many times and the pups still got it ..

But we have Changed up the way we give Shots and that fixed everything !!

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 06-30-2012 01:29 AM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glenn Wells
UKC Forum Member

Steve- you said you changed up on the shots, would that be IM instead of subQ ? I was told by my vet to shoot IM if any chance of Parvo around, so have done so since '83. My son has a beagle, that his wife just had to take to vet for shots, got them subQ @ 8weeks again at 12 weeks, came down with Parvo about month later after taking to park to "play" with the other dogs. Guess it was a test of which worked best, the IM shot hounds never showed the first sign, even after being splattered from a sick Beagle ! Did get pure parvo vacines to fire in their hip just to make me feel better though.

As far as the female, would make sure she had her shots before being bred, she will produce antibodies to protect the pups till they are weaned, whether natural or from vacines. Reason they say give shots at 8 weeks and again at 12 weeks as the antibody from mother keeps working for a while after being weaned killing the effects of vacines.

Old Post 06-30-2012 05:02 AM
Glenn Wells is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Glenn Wells Click here to Send Glenn Wells a Private Message Click Here to Email Glenn Wells Find more posts by Glenn Wells Add Glenn Wells to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Majestic Tree H
UKC Forum Member

Actuly we have been Giving Stright Parvo in a Live Modified version at 5 weeks old .. then every 2 weeks there after with a Stright Distemper in between ..

We did alot of research on it and found that the Combo Vaccines really screws up a young Pups Starting Immune system and May render the Parvo portion of the Vaccine usless or less effective ..

540-421-2875

PR, Saltlick's Blue Misty Linga "Bluetick Coonhound"

French X American Hounds

Old Post 07-02-2012 12:54 PM
Majestic Tree H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Majestic Tree H Click here to Send Majestic Tree H a Private Message Click Here to Email Majestic Tree H Visit Majestic Tree H's homepage! Find more posts by Majestic Tree H Add Majestic Tree H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote