UKC Forums UKC Front Page :: Field Operations :: Show Operations :: Registration :: UKC Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coonhounds or Competition Winners
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I will be honest with you though Iíve Hunted at every level and have been lucky enough to have a little bit of success and I can honestly say that these hot nosed ambush type dogs are truly the minority. Some good friends of mine learned that the hard way at the world hunt. They learned that those dead loners could tree them like squirrels all around them if they needed to.
Sometimes I wonder what you guys are talking about when you talk about good track dogs. I think of one that every track it strikes is ran like itís running junk even on those cold frosty nights. I wouldnít own one that consistently spent an hour or more trailing or even 30 minutes for that matter. If they are consistently spending that much time on the ground they arenít good cold nose track dogs they are just to ignorant to get it up and drive it.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Last edited by Team Mafia 2 on 12-14-2019 at 06:21 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2019 06:18 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Real coon dog

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Just for the record, every dog that I have ever seen, owned or hunted with that I called a top coon dog or "real" coon dog was just as good at competition hunting as they were pleasure hunting. I have seen lots of dogs that were either goid competition dogs or pleasure hunting dogs, but not both. A real coon dog is both, makes NO difference to them whether it's competition or pleasure hunting, they perform at a higher level at all times. Dalton, your post was spot on, makes NO difference what the other dogs do to a real coon dog. Dave

That is the truth...great dogs should be great competition dogs and great pleasure hounds...and great dogs donít have bad hunts...

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:21 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
A lot of dogs can tree a coon but just because a dog consistently trees coons doesnít make it in any way shape or form a coon dog. Iíve hunted with literally hundreds of dogs that consistently treed coons that were common as green grass in the summertime. A coon dog can be cut loose with 10 dogs 5 strike a deer and run it through the country and the other 5 tree every possum in the woods and Mr coon dog will be sunk through the country with a ricky above him. They have to be 100% indifferent to all of the nonsense thatís going on around them. Everyone claims to have a coon dog but they would quickly learn different under the circumstances Iíve listed above. Also a coon dog will NEVER have a bad night. They may have a bad drop but never a bad night. Even on there bad drops you can still see the superiority to the dogs around them.

I agree with your logic...but just because a dog treed possums or ran deer does not make him a no count dog...
Once this dog is made into a straight coon dog it might be the best coondog you ever saw...I say look for potential as well...

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:26 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

X2 what Dalton said

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:45 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
A lot of dogs can tree a coon but just because a dog consistently trees coons doesnít make it in any way shape or form a coon dog. Iíve hunted with literally hundreds of dogs that consistently treed coons that were common as green grass in the summertime. A coon dog can be cut loose with 10 dogs 5 strike a deer and run it through the country and the other 5 tree every possum in the woods and Mr coon dog will be sunk through the country with a ricky above him. They have to be 100% indifferent to all of the nonsense thatís going on around them. Everyone claims to have a coon dog but they would quickly learn different under the circumstances Iíve listed above. Also a coon dog will NEVER have a bad night. They may have a bad drop but never a bad night. Even on there bad drops you can still see the superiority to the dogs around them.

Dalton what you posted reminded me of something. I had a B&T dog that just didn't have much hunt. Could tree a coon and look good but just didn't hunt much. But I had a young dog that would run a deer and that B&T would follow along about way behind and tree several coon while the young dog ran a deer. Best thing that could happen to that B&T was to have something run a deer. But he sure wasn't a coon dog. The kind you are talking about are few and far between per my experience.

Old Post 12-14-2019 03:56 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

When it gets to where 2 or 3 of the dogs in a cast tree coons all by themselves, then you have to have a dog that also gets first strike every time and doesnt fool with a den tree. Is that a coon dog?

Old Post 12-15-2019 01:50 PM
Richard Lambert is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

What do you mean doesn't fool with a den tree?

Old Post 12-15-2019 02:05 PM
2ol2hunt is online now Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote