UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Culling high priced pups
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wart
UKC Forum Member

Culling high priced pups

I see a bunch of yearlings all over for sale when do you think it's time to really start culling some of these pups I realize most are overpriced at weaning when you consider the hundreds of hours of woods time and money spent trying to make one the best pups I've owned were natural type and were long gone by 15 months old if they were common

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-19-2022 07:22 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I cull pretty quick…but if the pup is acting right I will give it ten months to stay on the curve (my expectations)…if on the curve the pup will probably make a decent dog…

My mindset is to raise a puppy that is worthy of being a good hunting dog as well as breeding potential…I don’t have the room for dogs that aren’t worthy of breeding…at least that is the goal…

Old Post 09-23-2022 02:53 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

I am of the midset that if a breeder feels so strongly about a cross that they are charging big money that pup should be bought back for 50% money at under a year.

Lets face it a pup is at best a lottery ticket. I have no idea why a person would drop $1000 to $1500 on one. Give me 5 $300 ones and ill take my chances and be able to enjoy myself likely just the same.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 09-24-2022 03:57 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I once did lots of research on a different breed of dog to hunt that I wanted to try out on hogs…traveled over 1,150 miles one way…raised a litter of pups and culled them all by one year of age including their dam…

My theory…what I failed to see is that many start bears off of baits on put them down on a track…

I like dogs that when casted on decent sign that they will strike a track rather quickly and I also expect the pups to show interest at a young age…to show me something of good things to come…

Old Post 09-25-2022 04:51 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cthornberry
UKC Forum Member

I seem to end up with the lazy ones if Zeb 3 or tequila sunrise was still around I’d know where to go

Old Post 09-27-2022 04:42 PM
Cthornberry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Cthornberry Click here to Send Cthornberry a Private Message Find more posts by Cthornberry Add Cthornberry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

Maybe it’s jmo but I ALWAYS Offer a 100 % FULL REFUND If a pup buyer is not satisfied FOR ANY REASON By 10 months old so long as pup is returned healthy and hasn’t barked it’s mouth out. My experience has taught me about 7/10 folks DONT know how or don’t wanna put in the time and effort to Start a GREEN pup Most won’t even teach the pup it’s name let alone The First And Most Important 5 Basic Commands

Old Post 09-27-2022 06:43 PM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

There are more pups that don't make good hounds because of lack of handling and hunting than a lack of genetics. Some pups do lack the genetics and shouldn't be bred just because they have a good pedigree. More times than not though, a guy buys a pup with big plans but when it comes time to get off the couch to train the pup and go in to work day after day on half a nights sleep the motivation isn't there.

I once had a nice man buy a pup from me. At sixteen months he brought it back to trade in for another just weaned pup. I took the sixteen month old hunting and it treed good the first night I hunted it. About 12-14 months later I finished her to grand nite champion. She was nice. The little pup he took back with him didn't make it either until he sold it to another hunter. Then that hunter called me bragging on what a nice young dog he had. Sometimes its the pup and sometimes its the trainer.

You may get a bargain deal buying a fifteen month old pup that has just never been given a chance. Just beware of the ones that were handled so little that they became shy.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 10-04-2022 05:52 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

How is it there are folks that will take a pup from weaning age to coon treer consistently if puppies are such a crap shoot?

There are more good breeders right now than there are good puppy trainers. It's not as big of a gamble as people think, and not nearly as big of a gamble as it was 30, 20, or even ten years ago.

Old Post 10-04-2022 07:40 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

A well bred pup does not need a lot of hunting to find out if it’s going to be a good one…it just needs the right training…

Old Post 10-04-2022 11:04 PM