UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Old saying
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Old saying

My dog is staying right or wrong
I had someone tell me this recently and I haven't heard it lately but it got me thinking?
Nobody likes to see a dog leave a tree. On the other hand nobody likes a slick treeing dog. Now don't get me wrong every dog slick trees some but there is some that also make a habit of slick treeing.
Anyway the what got my mind churning was this saying was very popular about the time slick treeing became a bigger issue. Now back in the day when people trained there pups there was a lot of people wanted them to do just that stay right or wrong tie them to the tree never correct them if they missed the coon.
What is everyone elses thoughts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-23-2020 07:39 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Stay treed right or wrong if a dog doesn't want to stay treed or act like it's got a coon it shouldn't be treed everyone wants an accurate treedog dogs that do alot of locating ,tapping a bunch of trees are common, worthless to me I realize some condition's cause dogs to due this but not very often

Old Post 02-23-2020 08:17 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

First half is correct, second half is dumb.

Old Post 02-23-2020 08:18 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

ACCEPANCE {PERSONS ASSENT TO THE REALITY OF A SITUATION } , IT IS MY OPPION THAT SLICK TREEING IS A PRODUCT OF BREEDING PRACTICES AND NO AMOUNT OF CORRECTION IN THE TRAINING PROCCES CAN CORRECT A DOG THAT HAS THE FAULT OF SLICK TREEING ,

Old Post 02-23-2020 08:23 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Follow the track to end then tree.

Old Post 02-23-2020 08:42 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Edinger
First half is correct, second half is dumb.
how so? I can only guess what your thinking

Old Post 02-24-2020 12:00 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
ACCEPANCE {PERSONS ASSENT TO THE REALITY OF A SITUATION } , IT IS MY OPPION THAT SLICK TREEING IS A PRODUCT OF BREEDING PRACTICES AND NO AMOUNT OF CORRECTION IN THE TRAINING PROCCES CAN CORRECT A DOG THAT HAS THE FAULT OF SLICK TREEING ,

You may be right that it could be breeding some times . But I can assure you that some fellows can ruin a dog and make it a slick treeing idiot threw poor handling.

Old Post 02-24-2020 12:06 AM
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
how so? I can only guess what your thinking

A slick treeing dog is not smart enough to know or care of he is wrong. A smart dog will realize his mistake and correct it himself therefore learning to make fewer mistakes

Old Post 02-24-2020 12:28 AM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Edinger
A slick treeing dog is not smart enough to know or care of he is wrong. A smart dog will realize his mistake and correct it himself therefore learning to make fewer mistakes
I don't really believe this to be true. I am sure a dog knows if there right or gambling. I have had way too many dogs that would hold tree pressure if they was treeing and had the coon but didn't hold there tree if the coon wasn't there. I feel pups just starting to tree there own coon are generally the most accurate they will be in there entire life. As they learn and take tuffer tracks and get hunted with other dogs accuracy can suffer if not handled properly. So I think you are partly correct as they age and learn they can learn to make more or less mistakes. Guidance is important which direction they learn.

Old Post 02-24-2020 02:20 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

In the past, a comp dog that treed and then checked was a problem. A comp dog needed to check and then tree. Once they treed they had to stay. They couldn't tree for a minute or two and then decide to go on.
Would you rather have a comp dog that you could tree on a locate or one that you had to wait until it "settled in" before you could tree it?
This is one of the reasons behind the super independent dogs of today. In the past when dogs packed, you needed a dog that you could tree on a locate. Today it doesn't matter. If they are always by themselves, you can wait to see if they are going to stay or not. "Right or wrong, my dog had better stay" has been replaced by "my dog had better be by himself".

Old Post 02-24-2020 02:39 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
[B If they are always by themselves, you can wait to see if they are going to stay or not. "Right or wrong, my dog had better stay" has been replaced by "my dog had better be by himself". [/B]

I don't know Richard the PBP's I read seems to be more dogs leaving trees now then 10-15 years ago.

"Better stay right or wrong" still works for me. I'd sooner deal with one 50-60% accurate then one that''ll only stay "most" of the time. I said deal with the slicks not accept them. To each their own I guess. Dogs leaving trees keeps me awake at night.

Old Post 02-24-2020 04:38 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Ole Shelby

I love to hear her locate awwwwwwwww, aawwwwwwww, then i look at Garmin and see her check, check, check, and when she goes back awwwwww, awwwww, aw,aw,aw,aw,aw! Dead Coon boys! But thats just me and what suits me. You have to find what suits YOU! I am not trying to beat anyone to the tree. I want the coon in the tree. Number 1 thing....should be treeing the coon not making sure there is enough leaves on the tree to hide a lying hound...he cannot live at my house...not long anyway! and she doesn't leave either....

Old Post 02-24-2020 06:58 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:

You honestly don't think you can train a dog to be more accurate?

Old Post 02-24-2020 07:06 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard Lambert
In the past, a comp dog that treed and then checked was a problem. A comp dog needed to check and then tree. Once they treed they had to stay. They couldn't tree for a minute or two and then decide to go on.
Would you rather have a comp dog that you could tree on a locate or one that you had to wait until it "settled in" before you could tree it?
This is one of the reasons behind the super independent dogs of today. In the past when dogs packed, you needed a dog that you could tree on a locate. Today it doesn't matter. If they are always by themselves, you can wait to see if they are going to stay or not. "Right or wrong, my dog had better stay" has been replaced by "my dog had better be by himself".
[/QUOTE good observation ]

Old Post 02-24-2020 11:20 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
You honestly don't think you can train a dog to be more accurate?
My friend and I discuss this frequently. We have leaves on 1/3 of our trees year round. And 95% of the trees our dogs make are on huge oaks. In summer we can't even shine some trees because of thick underbrush. Training a dog requires consistency. How can you be consistent if you have no idea if a coon is in the tree or not?

Old Post 02-25-2020 12:14 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
My friend and I discuss this frequently. We have leaves on 1/3 of our trees year round. And 95% of the trees our dogs make are on huge oaks. In summer we can't even shine some trees because of thick underbrush. Training a dog requires consistency. How can you be consistent if you have no idea if a coon is in the tree or not?

Excellent point...I don’t correct a dog unless I am 100 percent sure the dog needs correcting...it can be frustrating...

Old Post 02-25-2020 02:21 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I CAN CONTINUE TO SWITCH THEM AND SEND THEM ON TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL BETTER ,THAT IS ABOUT ALL I EVER BEEN ABLE TO ACOMPLISH , LOL MY 300$ L;IGHT PAINTS A UGLY PITURE AND BRINGS ME BACK TO REALITY , LOL I HAD A DEER RUNNING FOOL , THOUGHT I HAD HIM BROKE UNTILL I GOT A GARMIN AND COULD CUT HIM OFF AND SEE WHAT HE WAS UP TO, COME TO FIND OUT MY 100% BROKE DOG WAS STILL RUNNING THEM DEER BUT I HAD TEACHED HIM TO RUN THEM SILENT,LOL

Old Post 02-25-2020 12:33 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote